Buxiban work during Covid times - acceding to lower pay?

“it seems like buxibans going online could cut costs and paperwork for them seeing that their pool of candidates is greatly increased and the speed in which they can hire them is greatly increased as well.”

There are already pre-covid Buxibans operating on an online only model in Taiwan. When you look at mainland firms like TutorABC they will just eat the market completely and physical buxibans are looking at financial suicide if they try to swap their entire business model.

Firstly you have to factor in stuff like time difference for all these online teachers, taxes, recruitment (with all the long winded stuff that is comes with), foreign bank payments and fees, software and possible licensing for said classes, online class content the list goes on.

I’ve seen firsthand a UK university completely crap the bed with the swap to online classes. Lecturers pausing classes for weeks while they try to scrounge up new classes and timetables, management rushing to reorganize exams, different departments confused because management have given them two different sets of online software for classes. Students and teachers alike confused because they don’t know how to navigate all this new tech. And this is after they had a good 7 months of preparation before a second wave hit.

So what does this mean? Well that the odds are most Buxibans will just wait for the government to open up, because that’s the safest choice. I agree with your first point about not panicking, it’s easy to get caught up in the hysteria but having a job in education is probably one of the safest fields to be in right now.

6 Likes

If you think you can get it and you want it, why not? You’ll get moaning about your thoughtlessness, but your chutzpah will be admired.

Bear in mind that buxibans, for young learners at least, aren’t always solely about education. They also serve as childcare until the parents finish work.

2 Likes

My kids are lucky they have lots of brothers and sisters to spend time with at home. I’m not so lucky. Work is like a vacation sometimes.

1 Like

Not in Taiwan. Are you crazy? :slight_smile:

Annual contracts, part-time hours, stagnant pay, terrible bosses, pandemic and this…

It’s time for educators to go the professional route, become the best of the best in terms of results, or move on to something else. If I was in education I would be very seriously looking at my next move right now.

Taiwan has lowest birth rate in world: CIA | Taiwan News | 2021-04-19 13:13:00.

3 Likes

Yes I think in regards to COVID education is one of the safest fields here and abroad. My buddies in tourism, the airline industry and entertainment would attest to that. In comparison people will always want teachers. If you’re completely SOL and staring down the barrel of a gun there is always private lessons and online teaching from home to make a quick buck.

If you’re still dealing with part time contracts after years of building a CV you could look into a CELTA or teaching certificate and getting a high school position. Teaching at a university here is also an option if you get a masters.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem to reflect reality.

2 Likes

Government paid education jobs are pretty safe. Hourly paid buxiban teaching jobs on a work sponsored permit definitely aren’t, and never have been.

3 Likes

Is there anyway to see the break down of cram school and formal education jobs in Taiwan. Would there be more foreigners working in cram schools?

I just found this. From the article The industry said that there are more than 100,000 employees in supplementary education

More from the article - Xie Zhifang, chairman of the Tutoring Education Association of the Republic of China, said that there are 18,000 registered tutoring classes in Taiwan, with nearly 150,000 employees

They just lost a lot of votes at the next election if most of those 100, 000 were sent home without pay :joy:

1 Like

Maybe a weird situation but how would you handle it if the boss won’t let you have leave at this time?
I have two young children and they aren’t eager for me to take leave. I read previously that they must grant leave at this time to parents with young children. The only debate is whether it is paid or unpaid. At my place, there is no debate.

You are saving the school an awful lot of money. Air conditioning and other utilities.
You’re also going to have to use the internet connection that you paid for.
I would say no but I am not in your situation being part of a larger Taiwanese family.
you should be entitled to tax write-offs and or compensation for your personal equipment that you use to conduct your classes.
My wife is teaching at home and she has to use a lot of personal resources like whiteboards, paper handmade flashcards and the like.
She works for a public school and should be doing it (using her personal resources) anyway but her pay is not suffering. That is except for the extra classes she would have taken on.

2 Likes

Employers cannot refuse. You could contact Labor department of your city/county to get a help.

2 Likes

I think he’s saying that there is no debate about pay. If he takes leave, he won’t get it.

Yes, you are right. I was talking about the pay. No pay. They are not refusing the leave though. They are just ignoring me and putting me on the schedule.