Buy/import of road bike

So I’m an avid road cyclist/commuter/ mechanic. I’m used to commuting dense urban cores, and hope to do more of the same in taiwan when I move here for work.

I currently ride a steel road racing bike, and would like to continue doing so

My question is, should I…

bring my bike with me?
 buy a bike in Taiwan?
 bring my components and build up a frame I buy Taiwan?

How much more expensive/ cheaper is it to buy a used bike or just frame in Taiwan?
Where could I get one?
are high end steel frames available (columbus tubing, etc)… and could i get them from somewhere other than a used shop?

Thank you sooo much as this is the only thing i care about having in Taiwan!

[quote=“julianjungleman”]So I’m an avid road cyclist/commuter/ mechanic. I’m used to commuting dense urban cores, and hope to do more of the same in taiwan when I move here for work.

I currently ride a steel road racing bike, and would like to continue doing so

My question is, should I…

bring my bike with me?
 buy a bike in Taiwan?
 bring my components and build up a frame I buy Taiwan?

How much more expensive/ cheaper is it to buy a used bike or just frame in Taiwan?
Where could I get one?
are high end steel frames available (columbus tubing, etc)… and could I get them from somewhere other than a used shop?

Thank you sooo much as this is the only thing i care about having in Taiwan![/quote]

there are a lot of second hand bikes for sale on yahoo taiwan auction and ruten. very few bricks and mortar 2nd hand shops though. I’ve seen all sorts of old Italian steel frames on those sites though. I guess there is a small sub-culture of steel enthusiasts here just like elsewhere.

Just put your bike in a bike box, packed well, and take it with you on the plane as checked luggage. Easiest thing to do to get your current bike here and of course cheaper than buying something like what you want here, even if used.

My last trip home I bought a new bike, rode it while there and had the shop put it back in the box for me before I returned to Taiwan. Most airlines will charge around one or two hundred bucks.

When friends and coworkers bring their bikes when visiting, they do the same.