Buying a Car in Taiwan

I have an ARC. It looks like I might be staying in Taiwan another year or 2 and am thinking about buying a car. Can I buy a car and title it in my name?

Mike

You can purchase a car in the government’s name, i.e. the one on your A.R.C.
Or to put it another way, if you have an A.R.C., A.P.R.C., or local I.D. then you can both purchase a vehicle as well as apply for licence plates for it.

What kind of car were you thinking of getting?

[quote=“sulavaca”]You can purchase a car in the government’s name, i.e. the one on your A.R.C.
Or to put it another way, if you have an A.R.C., A.P.R.C., or local I.D. then you can both purchase a vehicle as well as apply for licence plates for it.

What kind of car were you thinking of getting?[/quote]

I want to buy and older BMW. What do you mean governments name? My ARC has my name. I read that you need 1 year on your ARC. I have only 2 months remaining but m employer is going to extend my work here 1 to 2 years.

[quote=“Micahel”][quote=“sulavaca”]You can purchase a car in the government’s name, i.e. the one on your A.R.C.

What kind of car were you thinking of getting?[/quote]

I want to buy and older BMW. What do you mean governments name? My ARC has my name. I read that you need 1 year on your ARC. I have only 2 months remaining but m employer is going to extend my work here 1 to 2 years.[/quote]

Technically the A.R.C. you happen to hold and the information on it belongs to the government, not you. The fact that you may tend to go by the same name which is printed on your A.R.C. is not relevant. When you register a car therefore, you register it to the government and it becomes their property. This is the same in many other countries too, including the U.K. After registration, then you become the “registered keeper”. When you produce any I.D. which you carry, you are in fact choosing to represent the fictional identity on that document. This is why the police require documentation when issuing you with a speeding ticket for example, but otherwise have no power or legal right to do so without your permission, as speeding in itself is not a crime. I have only met a couple of other people over the years who have actually put this into practice, and so far it has always worked for me. The only time I have received a ticket is by post, and the ticket is then issued to the government’s own vehicle, which they expect me to then pay; and in this case, which I usually do as it is otherwise a bigger hassle later on as I can’t transfer the car into another identity and receive payment from the next registered keeper. You shouldn’t technically be responsible for this debt however as it belongs to the government’s own property and “person” (the fictional name which they created).
If they take you to court, then you shouldn’t act in representing the name which they produced on your behalf. Just refuse to state “your name” and step into any “Dock” which they may offer. Also be aware of the language “legalese” (English based) as it is often used to trick you into contracts, which you ARE then responsible for up-keeping by law. I’m not sure about any Chinese legal languages if they exist. Perhaps someone else can offer any input there.
Anyway, all of this is superflous to what you were asking I know. I just thought I’d offer some insight which I have so far in the technical aspect of transfers and I.D. documents. Technically speaking, as a human you can purchase and operate a vehicle without any need for licences and registrations, as long as you are in accordance with the law. Understanding law and statutes however can be tricky at the beginning, which I understand. Even the authorities don’t seem to always understand the difference.
It is imperative to accept however that the name which your parents call you, you may refer to as your name, but understand that the same name typed in block caps or which appears in a box of some sort is considered fictional and does not refer to you, a human.
And now I fully expect a lengthy list of arguments…hehe…

Here’s one example of someone who knows the law of the land.

And another

(edit) description in this video is wrong. These are not London police. I had to repost this video as the original one was removed.

And a group of British people who arrested a judge.

Thank You, this was good information. Are you British?

Yes.

But the same rules apply here. When you register a vehicle to the Taiwan Government, you are doing business with them. This isn’t necessary in order to “travel” as you don’t need a licence to “travel”, or number plates issued by a private entity.