Buying a cat or dog in Taiwan

Hello. I am interested in buying a cat or dog while staying in or visiting Taiwan. What are the best places to buy a cat or dog in Taiwan, preferably purebreeds?

irishstu has 78 Afghan rabbits up for adoption. Any good to you, young Steppenwolf?

I’d rather have a cat or dog. Is a cat kennel or shelter the same thing as a cat fancier?

I have seen people talk about Places like the Royal Cat Garden and I haven’t heard of any places that sell dogs around Taiwan.

Best to buy from breeders. Ask a local to read the newspapers. You can get a cat from a cat store. They generally only sell Persians, Abysinnians and Siamese though. Dog stores sell a lot of dogs, but make sure you get a healthy one.

I would check with a breeder first though, although you can find a great cat or dog at a store.

Be smart and contact Animals Taiwan and adopt one, they have pure bred , don’t buy a cat or dog … breeders in Taiwan are mostly horrible … same for stores …

[quote=“tommy525”]Best to buy from breeders. Ask a local to read the newspapers. You can get a cat from a cat store. They generally only sell Persians, Abysinnians and Siamese though. Dog stores sell a lot of dogs, but make sure you get a healthy one.

I would check with a breeder first though, although you can find a great cat or dog at a store.[/quote]

Tommy, the conditions in which kittens and cats are kept in most stores is appalling. Furthermore, most stores will have pretty cats from very dubious sources. There is no scientific or reliable “breeder”, with standarized pedigree, regulated by law and associations on this island. Hence, when you buy a 20, 30 or 40 thousand cat, you take a very big risk. Locals are easily fooled. I know a restaurant owner who paid 50 thousand for a con, not a Maine Coon.

Royal Cat in Tienmu is the only one we know of that has a decent record and is responsible enough. Other places would be taking a big risk… and they won’t accept to return your money if you take them to the vet and find lots of problems afterwards.

Our shelters are full of pure breeds, even healthy ones get dumped. Please consider adopting -most are dumped because they scratched the owner or their furniture, so there is no need to fear. Also, if they survived the streets, they are strong. Persians, Angoras, Siamese, Ragdolls -you name it, we’ve got. And at 1% of cost of one of dubious or no pedigreee to speak of -hence, no need to pay through the nose.

[quote=“tommy525”]Best to buy from breeders. Ask a local to read the newspapers. You can get a cat from a cat store. They generally only sell Persians, Abysinnians and Siamese though. Dog stores sell a lot of dogs, but make sure you get a healthy one.

I would check with a breeder first though, although you can find a great cat or dog at a store.[/quote]Troll?

I know you’re not supposed to call a troll a troll, but what else can I do with this evil death-causing crap? Murdered any kittens lately Tommy? Like the people you support in your post?

and if you do get a large hungry dog, that would be the time to contact Irishstu about the rabbits. that’d be about two months worth.

lonelywolf21, you say you’re interested in buying a dog or cat while visiting Taiwan, and I have to ask why Taiwan is high in your list of places to purchase a ‘purebred’. Ask Maoman about the quality of inbreds … sorry, I mean ‘purebreds’ … here.

If you buy a ‘purebred’ in Taiwan, you are supporting a very unscrupulous business (more unscrupulous and ignorant than backyard breeders anywhere) and would be very likely to purchase an animal that will suffer not too far down the road with some congenital defect and cause you considerable veterinary expense. We know of NO reputable breeders here.

A newspaper did an expose on the ‘purebred’ industry here and showed that you could register your pet rabbit with the local ‘kennel club’ and receive an official certificate showing it to be a pedigree German Shepherd if you so desire.

As others have wisely advised you, if you really want to buy a dog or cat in Taiwan, then you - and the companion animal population as a whole - would be far better off if you adopted one from a rescue group or local animal shelter (where they reside in abundance awaiting their final day no further than 10 days away). Last time I was there, they had every breed available in Taiwan amply represented, from beagles to German shepherds to Burmese mountain dogs to Labs and on and on and on and on …

If you want help finding the local dog pound, let me know; I’d be happy to drive you there and help you pick out a healthy, trainable, lifelong companion before he or she is killed for overburdening an already saturated market or for no longer being a cute puppy.

Sean 0920 620 109

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“tommy525”]Best to buy from breeders. Ask a local to read the newspapers. You can get a cat from a cat store. They generally only sell Persians, Abysinnians and Siamese though. Dog stores sell a lot of dogs, but make sure you get a healthy one.

I would check with a breeder first though, although you can find a great cat or dog at a store.[/quote]Troll?

I know you’re not supposed to call a troll a troll, but what else can I do with this evil death-causing crap? Murdered any kittens lately Tommy? Like the people you support in your post?[/quote]

That was mean dude. I got my present kitty from a breeder (hes 14 now) and I rescued another persian from the streets of TAipei and brought them both to the USA.

Im sure there are good breeders, not everyone is a crook. Im not recommending anyone in particular. I had a good experience is all im saying. Your experience may vary. But I do second the motion ADOPT A STRAY.

Tommy, these are not just any strays. They are the same animals people buy from local “breeders” -and we have yet to see more than one reputable, decent one- for 20, 30, 40 or more thousand NTs… and then throw away like an old fashioned purse. They are the same kind, color, and yes, breed, as the ones in the window of any Taipei “pet” shop.

You certainly haven’t been here a while. Things are bad, man, really bad. I don’t know how Stray Dog, Bob-Honest, or anyone that has invested time and effort in saving so many discarded pets can stand the tragedies we see here everyday. I told Dragonbones the other day the things you see here make you lose faith in humanity…

The little Maltese I am taking care of is in really bad condition because somebody hit him in the head. We see people hitting their animals on the street everyday, and these are not poor, ignorant people. My little one keeps on fighting for his life, in spite of the inbreeding that has 99% of Maltese in Taiwan affected with heart disease. He definetively shouldn’t be in that condition, it is not his fault, and yet the people who paid 30 thousand or more for him just dumped him in a busy road like discarded tissue. You should see the things I’ve seen lately at the animal hospital… they make shivers go down your spine. And it is the overwhelming majority. Buy a pet? You kidding, right?

Well sounds like the only thing to do is to adopt from what you are saying. Makes sense to me. Over here in Calif they only caution against buying an animal from a pet store. Most Americans are encouraged to adopt from a shelter. And if wanting to buy a pet, only from a reputable breeder.

Looks like there are plenty of good pets to be had from shelters in Taiwan . One has to only look I guess.

I think the govt should require all pet owners to register their pets and to be accountable for any incident of cruelty reported on the pet. Now that will be good.

If I wanted another cat, I would definitely get one from the SPCA as Iv been there to get shots for my cat and there are plenty of suitable dogs and cats to adopt. Very many nice pets !!! And it only costs bout 40 bucks to get one.

Please don’t buy when you can adopt one from Animals Taiwan.

Thanks

www.animalstaiwan.org

:bow:

Amen! And it has started, you’ll be happy to know.

lonelywolf21, I’m afraid I must strongly advise against buying from the breeders in Taiwan.

They are unscrupulous when it comes to the genetic health of the animals as well as the way they treat them. You will get a healthier pet if you get a mixed pet, and either way, you’ll be doing a good deed if you take one from an animal rescue group like AnimalsTaiwan, Meet Pets, BARK, and so on. I hear AnimalsTaiwan has some purebreds at the moment too, but if you give them a chance, you’ll probably fall in love with a mix. :wink:

We have this fantastic British Bulldog up for adoption at the moment. Less than a year old-just a pup yet, massive, healthy, friendly and very handsome (really gorgeous color markings). Obi is house-trained and scooter-trained.

If you like this breed, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Chris

but i don’t WANT someone else’s discarded animal. i mean, it’s USED. that’s just like recycling toilet paper, man. i MUST have a new dog. :loco:

I would never buy a dog myself from a breeder in Taiwan, I have 2 strays. But after what I saw this weekend on the nighmarket - these poor puppies, not even 6 weeks old being stuck in glass boxes with no water and food, and without their moms. I would have bought the lot of them (if I had the money) just to get them out of those conditions. So, my point being - these dogs also needs a chance in life - so if there is one decent person out there that wants to give them a loving home, let them do it. These dogs did not ask to be there, and you are punishing them because you are against the breeders.
My advice would be - look around and wait if you want to buy a dog, these breeders don’t sell all their dogs, and then they get to ‘old’ (5/6 months), and you can get them basically for free. So if you want a purebred - you’ll find one.

[quote=“marboulette”]We have this fantastic British Bulldog up for adoption at the moment. Less than a year old-just a pup yet, massive, healthy, friendly and very handsome (really gorgeous color markings). Obi is house-trained and scooter-trained.

If you like this breed, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Chris[/quote]
Let’s see a pic, man!

Anyone buys them and within seconds the pet shop will refill the cages and perhaps ask the breeder for more because demand is increasing. I feel sorry for the puppies but by buying them you are not doing a good thing.