Buying a laptop when you don’t have a credit card

I’m also considering the possibility of simply getting a desktop computer for working from home and playing video games since I don’t ever take this big bastard anywhere anyway.

I understand building is the way to go but I don’t know much about that. Do you guys have any resources for learning about building PCs?

Building a desktop PC can be as expensive as buying a pre-built one. You can go to cool-pc near Guanghua to have them assemble your PC once you pick out the parts you want. They will give you a quote for all of the parts and if you’re ok with it, they will proceed with the order. It usually takes them about 1 afternoon to get your PC built (depending on how many orders they have on queue). The guys there will help explain what parts to get if you’re not sure. www.coolpc.com.tw

3 Likes

Did not hear anyone complain about such an issue before.
Just searched about it and found 2 year old Reddit thread that talks about a self build tower with MSI board and Ryzen and some uncertain disconnection issues with USB 3.1
I would not worry about that with a laptop. Intel CPU security issues are a bigger headache since patching them makes the CPU slower.

2 Likes

Oh wow :scream:

Buy intel, it’s the better choice. Bigger means better.

If anyone wants a (relatively) secure laptop - see the Pinebook Pro. Not what OP wants but it would work with office365 which is what MS is pushing anyway.

2 Likes

My advice, look at goods say I’m interested, log in ready to Amazon, say hey hey I can get it for this?
Vendor will be on phone looking at exchange faster than yo can blink, US$ buys.

Good thinking! Getting a laptop if you don’t plan moving it around is wasting tons of money. A PC will give you way more bang for the buck, even if you consider you need to add a screen, mouse and keyboard.

Besides including these 3 (in your case unnecessary) gadgets built-in, laptops simply have to do so many compromises to fit all that stuff into the tiny space - not fun.

TLDR; Don’t build, buy pre-made, but only good ones. @olm has his very specific and undoubtedly unpopular (but science-based) recommendation of using only commercial/professional office PCs, even for gaming. I’d be happy to help find a fitting one.

The “building” (putting together) part is super easy, only need to be super careful when putting the CPU into the mainboard. See for example here.

What’s extremely hard is to choose good components. It’s so hard that companies whose business model it is to sell computers to demanding customers (like my employer) spend shitloads of money to make sure everything works well together, is stable, functional, performant and not too loud. In fact, reputable companies would not ever touch any of the mainboards from Guanghua market with a 3 公尺 pole.

Based on my work (and gaming) experience the last around 20 years, I highly recommend only getting business / commercial office Computers, not consumer ones. In case you don’t do hardcore gaming (which would require going for workstations due to power supplies in office PCs missing necessary connections for high-end graphics cards), these can be had at reasonable prices. The much higher amount of thought and engineering put into these gives you a vastly increased chance of avoiding many of those random issues that plague the incredibly complex modern computers. Of course you are still at the mercy of shitty software, but at least the foundation is stable.

So, who makes “real” professional PCs and where to buy them in Taiwan?

I would go for the commercial lines of the big professional brands, and simply add a graphics card (and maybe sound card if you want to do more demanding/competitive gaming). Those can be had mainly from HP (ProDesk/EliteDesk), Dell (OptiPlex, Lenovo (ThinkCentre), Fujitsu (Esprimo), and more locally maybe Acer (Veriton).

ASUS… Probably as well, see below.

So, where and what to buy in Taiwan? First let’s get an idea about prices online. Yes I’m aware of “no credit card”, but that’s the easiest way to get an overview I guess…

HP has tons on PChome

Dell has only some workstations on PChome, and their Taiwan shop somehow doesn’t work for me right now

Lenovo on PChome

Acer on PChome

Fujitsu (until now even made in Germany. Yup really, including mainboard) is a bit harder to find in Taiwan, on PChome only one high-end model but seems like some companies sell them here.

PChome also offer ASUS, but I have no idea how good their business PCs are.

So, if such PCs are an option I’ll look deeper into it.

1 Like

Thanks, this is all very helpful and informative.

Guys one thing: I have never seen a laptop/pc sold here with the Office software already installed…unless you pay for it. Meaning it is not embedded part and parcel with the computer. Laptop is usually sold with operating system and that’s it.

And again, if you are Taiwanese -have ID- Heck getting a credit card is easy as sneeze.

1 Like

I think it’s generally part of the deal when you buy laptops and computers meant for office or student use, but I do plan to be specific about that.

They might give you a special price on it, especially if it is the student version, but it is sold separately, which defeats the purpose of your purchase.

They used to include an ehem license less or open license version. Times a changing

Yea, but she can get the Windows and Office software with her computer from cool pc included in her quote. The problem is if she can get the English version of the software. If she doesn’t need the English version, then she can easily buy from PCHome.

I’d have to disagree. Components on built PCs are of higher quality, especially the power supply units and are guaranteed longer. Premade PCs are guaranteed for one year only 9/10 times. Components on built PCs are guaranteed for three years on the low end, with some things like RAM, a lifetime warranty. Off the shelf power supplies are higher quality than the Delta or Taida Chinese power supplies they throw in to save costs. Premade PCs also void the warranty if you decide to open them, use proprietary parts and many even blacklist components to make sure you don’t change it. Premade PC UEFI firmware is often not kept up to date/supported and may break compatibility with new components if upgrades are desired. Even if upgrading isn’t on the menu, replacing components for premade PCs can be a real nightmare. Premade PCs also come loaded with advertising and cut corners to make sure that the cost for the manufacturer is kept down and profits are kept up.

Built PCs are made to last and are supported for much longer and she can get exactly what she wants. Whether it’d be small or big, gamery or light. I would never recommend premade.

5 Likes

Sure, it will not be a lot but to sell something they’ll shave a little off their commission when paid cash.

It (office) actually is pre-installed, but once you start using it you need to pay.

BTW, if you have a Taiwan ID, PChome let you pay on delivery. Or at most convenience stores. No CC needed.

I think OP has mentioned before that she does not have a Taiwan ID, despite being of Taiwanese blood. If I recall correctly.

Yeah I’m not technically a citizen, sadly. Mama is but not me.

They can put English operating system, thatsthe easy part. In the past, they used to give you a key less Office in your computer. Last time I bought, it came with an Open Office.

You mean OpenOffice.org? OP specified she needs Microsoft Office 365, not the free open source OpenOffice software.