Buying a MacBook? Read This First

I just bought a new MacBook last Monday. Exactly one week later it is right back where it came from. Why? Random Shutdown Syndrome. Read below:

tuaw.com/2006/09/07/apple-is … utdown-pr/

appledefects.com/wiki/index. … urning_Off

I thought that because mine was manufactured in August it would be okay. I was wrong, it seems that the problem still exists. The second day I had it the thing shut down suddenly three times within an hour. Then on Saturday as I was explaining to the Apple guy about the problem at the shop it shut down. Perfect timing. The guy offered to give me a brand new one, I declined. But asked for a new iMac 20" instead. I’m still gonna stick with Mac, but would advise others wanting to buy a Mac notebook to be wary. Another problem I encountered was that the AC adpater became very hot and started to hiss. Maybe I just got lemon, but from what I have read on the net, about 20% of MacBooks have been in for repairs. That’s a very alarming number. Here’s some numbers.

macintouch.com/reliability/macbooks.html

[quote=“MotorcycleRider”]I just bought a new MacBook last Monday. Exactly one week later it is right back where it came from. Why? Random Shutdown Syndrome. Read below:

tuaw.com/2006/09/07/apple-is … utdown-pr/

appledefects.com/wiki/index. … urning_Off

I thought that because mine was manufactured in August it would be okay. I was wrong, it seems that the problem still exists. The second day I had it the thing shut down suddenly three times within an hour. Then on Saturday as I was explaining to the Apple guy about the problem at the shop it shut down. Perfect timing. The guy offered to give me a brand new one, I declined. But asked for a new iMac 20" instead. I’m still gonna stick with Mac, but would advise others wanting to buy a Mac notebook to be wary. Another problem I encountered was that the AC adpater became very hot and started to hiss. Maybe I just got lemon, but from what I have read on the net, about 20% of MacBooks have been in for repairs. That’s a very alarming number.[/quote]

This is very interesting. I’ve had my MacBook for a month or so now and haven’t noticed any of the problems you mention - in fact I find it more reliable than any Windows machine I’ve ever used. I’ve not had it crash once (and I have been pushing it hard in terms of processing power and multiple ongoing processes). My AC adapter gets warm (as does the hard drive), but not uncomfortably so (and not any more than my old Compaq notebook did). 20% going in for repairs does seem to be a pretty high figure though. :ponder:

One positive thing from this experience is I know that Apple Taiwan at least stands behind thier customer service. I didn’t get any “you must have done something wrong” or “we can send it in to get it check out, but will take 2 weeks” crap. They offered to replace it right away. Now I just need to wait for them to get in my new iMac. They said within a week, so we will see.

Apple are pretty good with stuff like this. Unfortunately people are onto them as soon as a problems arrives. The recent battery recall for example. A total of 9 laptops were reported as having a battery meltdown. Out of all the laptops potentially affected this is a small %. Apple are market leaders when it comes to going above and beyond expectations for customer service and recalls.

The MacBooks are actually made by Asus, that’s probably why it’s so easy to replace one when in Taiwan.

As a matter of interest are they assembled in Taiwan or China?

My sister had the same problem.

crapple

They are assembled in China. At least that’s what was written on my box.

Does new MacBook run Windows also?

I try to stay away from Rev A models.

All the new Apple Intel based computers have the capability of running Windows. Runs just as fast and smoothly as on any PC. You just need these types of programs.

apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

[quote=“MotorcycleRider”]All the new Apple Intel based computers have the capability of running Windows. Runs just as fast and smoothly as on any PC. You just need these types of programs.

apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

parallels.com/en/products/desktop/[/quote]

My understanding is that bootcamp requires reboots to switch between OS. I have heard that it is more of a hassle than virtual OS software. just fyi.

As a matter of interest are they assembled in Taiwan or China?[/quote]
It differs. It is printed on the bottom of the computer.

Yes. There are a number of ways to run Windows XP (and Vista Beta if that’s your cup of tea) on a MacBook.

spending 60k on a Macbook that has PC hardware inside and running Microsoft software… har har har.

This is amusing.

Sounds funny but it is quite practical. My wife doesn’t like to use OS X, so when she turns on the computer she logs into XP, and when I’m using it I use it in OS X. So it beats having to owe 2 different machines.

Update on my situation. I returned the MacBook on Monday and got a call yesterday that they had a brand new iMac 20" for me at the store as a replacement. Picked it up last night, fully loaded with all types of software. If you guys are looking to buy a Mac or an Ipod I recommend going to the Apple store on 227 Roosevelt Road, Section 5, its right outside the Wanlong MRT station exit 2. They are quite helpful and their customer service is outstanding. Ask for Tiger.

dell and sony recalled all their laptop batteries too. does it mean that they go above and beyond expectations for customer service and recalls? come on, it looks more like a safety issue to me… an issue that could cost millions to a company like apple if it gets sued by a customer whose house burnt down :laughing:

[quote]spending 60k on a Macbook that has a PC hardware inside and running Microsoft software… har har har.

This is amusing.[/quote]

especially since you can now install osx86 on ‘most’ pcs like a 19900nt dell :smiley:

What I mean’t is that people always slam PC’s, but a Mac and then work their asses off to get a mac to do what an inexpensive PC does.

The thing I don’t like about Mac is they are proprietary. I hate that. THe birth of the clone pushed computing to what it is today. Mac’s slow that process with their iTunes (barf) and their hardware that is only now becoming tweakable. THey keep people from hacking and having fun and give them an unexpandable hunk.

All Mac stuff is structurally sound and looks nice but when you look further, they are railroading you into their own little world of Apple made stuff.

Imagine if all PC’s were still IBM’s?

I agree with your point. That’s why I’m glad I am still able to use Windows whenever I need to. If only Apple were to let others expand on their software and hardware, Mac would be as prevalant as Windows. But alas, Mr. Jobs is running a dictatorship.