Buying a New Car

Sorry for the ‘improper’ reply…I was away from the computer before finishing my apologies :bow:

[quote=“sulavaca”][quote=“w124”]…but my main reasons/excuses for getting the Lancer is the gas consumption, nice/sporty interior and exterior, cruise control (which I used a lot in the states), sun roof, reclining rear seats, and the computerized trip meter/info between the two gauges…but of course, the reliability (which I am not to aware of) must be considered

From the brochures provided by the dealers, the Mazda 3 with more hp is a 2.0 and priced the same as the Lancer 1.8… Is the Mazda 3 more reliable than the Lancer 1.8?

How much difference is the tax/registration between a 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0?..I keep hearing that there is a ‘big’ difference in price from dealers but they don’t tell me #'s…[/quote]

Firstly gas consumption I am assuming is to save money right? Well again if its money which is the focus, then go for used. You’ll save plenty of potential fuel money there. If you like saving fuel, then you’d best leave the cruise control off most of the time. Your foot does a much better job of saving fuel and the majority of Taiwan driving will hardly let you even use cruise control anyway. I admit its nice when on the highway, once in a blue moon when its empty enough to turn it on. I think I must have used mine about a dozen times in three years though, so I don’t find it a MUST in my choice of vehicle.

In terms of reliability I think Mazda is similar to Mitsubishi in general. The imported cars tend to be slightly better than those produced locally. Remember Japanese cars overall are all quite reasonable though.
For running costs, please refer to my page here.

Personally I wouldn’t let fuel and tax costs affect my choice between 1,600cc to 2,000cc. There are plenty of other running costs associated with running a car which make the difference in these charges comparatively meaningless over the course of a year. The way you drive and service your car will have a greater affect on costs than the government’s charges. You can rev a smaller engine harder instead of a larger engine less and consume more fuel, depending on your style. Larger engines needn’t always consume more fuel than smaller ones.[/quote]

THANKS AGAIN sulavaca! :wink:

I was just hoping to find a car with similar gas comsumption for it’s class (1600-2000cc)…and you’re right, gas consumption depends on HOW you drive. I’m not too anal about saving gas, and I know I’ll be driving local and using the a/c alot :doh: so there goes all my gas… :laughing:

I was pretty good at taking the car to the dealer for service UNTIL the warranty expires so I’ll most likely be continuing to do that (especially if I can work out a good deal into the price). It’s knowing where to take it for service AFTER the warranty expires that I’m concerned about as well…

I’m starting to gain interest (again) about getting a used car and will need to read up more about your services…

THANKS AGAIN! :bow:

only when driving at midnight or early morning on the freeway, otherwise pretty useless…how often do u use freeway?..for me, cruise control is pretty useful because I go to Tainan at least one a month usually Sat early morning or Fri after 10pm…cruise control is quite useful in su-ao tunnel too (when no jam) :smiley:[/quote]

I might be using the freeway once to twice a week and I usually use the cc when I get the chance to ‘save’ gas as well as to avoid going too much over the speed limit…I’m not used to all the photo/radar/lasers used by the cops here

I took the plunge. I bought an Audi station wagon today (A3). Initially we were debating between Mazda5 or Toyota Wish. I’m not fond of the Mazda, although the sliding rear doors are nice, and with the recent Toyota recalls I wasn’t feeling good about it. The solution was to spend a bit more and get something I really like.

I never owned an Audi and I read mixed reviews. The last two cars I bought were Camrys. I thought it was time to venture into the unknown and take a chance. My wife really likes it, I like it, so why not. The truth is, I like the RS6 A LOT more, but the price tag is WAY too high.

You have impeccable taste, my friend :discodance:

[quote=“llary”]You have impeccable taste, my friend :discodance:[/quote]That depends. What color do you like? :wink: We picked grey. They said it would be ready for us on Wednesday. I can’t wait!

good buy :bravo: …what engine are u getting?..btw CMIIW A3 is a hot hatch, not a station wagon or is it? :s

I think he means what Audi call the Sportback.

They call it Sportback as llary said but to me it looks like a small station wagon.

We got the 2.0 diesel engine. Here’s an article about it:

autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews … di_a3.html

They call it the “black pump.” It doesn’t sound too good when you put it that way. :laughing: Seriously, though, I did a bit of homework and I think this is the right choice for us.

Very nice choice indeed…that is a great looking car! Enjoy it!

[quote=“RobinTaiwan”]They call it Sportback as llary said but to me it looks like a small station wagon.

We got the 2.0 diesel engine. Here’s an article about it:

autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews … di_a3.html

They call it the “black pump.” It doesn’t sound too good when you put it that way. :laughing: Seriously, though, I did a bit of homework and I think this is the right choice for us.[/quote]

Are you sure you purchased the same car that the article is talking about? The FSI? I thought you got a diesel?

I read the beginning of the article and I thought it was about the A3 diesel. I did Google “A3 diesel.” :blush:

I bought the 2.0 diesel. That I’m pretty sure! :laughing:

I just tested the Skoda Superb 2.0 Diesel and it was Superb to say the least. Couldn’t find any performance gaps between it and a petrol engine. The wet clutch gearbox operates as cleanly as a double clutch gearbox which is lightening quick.
I love the split hatch version on the Superb too which has enormous advantages. Personally I would still have the Octavia over the A3. Huge rear loading advantages as well as a whopping price discount and greater reliability ratings.
The Audi has the ‘look’ though with slightly swankier interior.
I have been offered discounts on Skodas if anyone is interested. I know their base rates now and I can make a couple of NTs at the same time if anyone is referred by me.

The A3 interior and general finish is not just slightly better than a Skoda or Golf, it’s in a different class. However good/practical/economical a Skoda is you are never going to sit in it and think, ‘DAMN - this is a nice car!’

Well I do. In fact I sit in it and think to myself, why on earth do people pay such a whopping premium for what amounts to some more chrome plated plastic, some additional stitching and a couple of bits of rubber. Oh, and minus quite a lot of boot space. Horses for courses though. If branding and packaging for premium prices are that much more appreciated by some than technology and function for the money then I have nothing to say. Its much a case of comparing aesthetics with function. They are not two of the same. The more extreme example was the old TT versus the Golf. Same thing really. You just got a lot more function for your money with a cheaper golf than the extreme packaging of the Audi. Of course the most modern models are quite different and cannot be compared.

I sit in a Skoda and think its a really practical and an extremely pleasing car to drive for the money.
I sit in an Audi and think its very nice, but it will be outdated next year, its smaller than a cheaper alternative and I can’t bare to see it scratched or dirty. And I don’t want to put my kid or my tools in the back.

[quote]If branding and packaging for premium prices are that much more appreciated by some than technology and function for the money then I have nothing to say.[/quote]I’m interested to know what technology the Skoda offers that the Audi doesn’t. I have no idea. And function, well, we only have one son and I can’t see ever having a space issue. How much space can we really need? I’m not a delivery person. There’s plenty of space for the whole family to go on a weekend camping trip very comfortably so I don’t see the point in factoring space in favor of other cars. If we needed more space then of course it would have to be a consideration.

[quote=“sulavaca”]
I sit in an Audi and think its very nice, but it will be outdated next year, its smaller than a cheaper alternative and I can’t bare to see it scratched or dirty. And I don’t want to put my kid or my tools in the back.[/quote]I’m also interested to know why an Audi would be outdated faster than a Skoda or many other cars. Heck, only two years after I bought my Camry, it was already outdated. By now it looks like a relic compared with the new Camry.

As for scratches and other damages, I think nothing lasts forever. That’s life. The first scratch is the hardest. :wink:

Im saying that you get the same tech in a Skoda as an Audi A3, and that The Audi comes with a large premium over a Skoda simply because of its looks. As I say horses for courses. I’m a practical guy who has other things to spend money on rather than simply a car’s looks and would prefer extra size for less money with the same tech, rather than paying a heap more for something that looks nice for two weeks before I’m bored of it anyway. That’s just me. No disrespect intended.
I also have a pair of Armani jeans because I liked the look of them. Same fabric than a pair of cheapos, but I simply liked the look. Personally I draw the line of excess way below spending hundreds of thousands on the cosmetics of my vehicle, but others will. That’s fine by me! That’s everyone’s prerogative.

Personally, I think the Skoda looks really ugly. I don’t know how much they go for, but I probably wouldn’t even pay half the asking price for it. But you know your cars and if you say it’s a good buy, I believe you. It just doesn’t appeal to me.

How about the Audi going outdated sooner? Why is that? I just bought one so I’d appreciate an explanation.

No offense taken, by the way. I know it can be seen as excess. My wife and I have discussed this. But we both work hard and we decided to treat ourselves. Life is short.

[quote=“RobinTaiwan”]Personally, I think the Skoda looks really ugly. I don’t know how much they go for, but I probably wouldn’t even pay half the asking price for it. But you know your cars and if you say it’s a good buy, I believe you. It just doesn’t appeal to me.

How about the Audi going outdated sooner? Why is that? I just bought one so I’d appreciate an explanation.

No offense taken, BTW. I know it can be seen as excess. My wife and I have discussed this. But we both work hard and we decided to treat ourselves. Life is short.[/quote]

Going outdated sooner I am referring to its looks. The premium of an Audi A3 is all based upon the cosmetics. The Skoda is priced along side VWs when on the used market as opposed to the Audi which depreciates faster. Purchasing an Audi is like investing in a pair of 2010 Channel slippers. Next year, they just aren’t in fashion so they lose a premium value. That’s unless you keep them in a box for fifty years and then sell them. :wink:

Agreed on the exterior, but I still much prefer the old one on the inside. The new one is pretending badly that it shares some sportiness with cars that by far outperform it. I liked the old one to the extent that I would still buy the old one over the new one. The old one was woomphy and considered as a base Luxury vehicle. It cruised extremely nicely and you wouldn’t expect it to do anything other than what it proposed to be.
The new one has a horrid silver plastic clashed with plastic wood interior, poorer quality leather and a gearbox to pull your hair out over. It offers the manumatic gear select which just doesn’t work, whereas the old one was a simple shifter with a ‘D’ for drive. Great! Even the gears don’t display properly on the dashboard.
Its flash on the outside, but dim to drive and ascetically unpleasant inside basically. Its reliable as ever though and makes a solid albeit boring investment. Stick with the old one, Its a far better car and far better value for money!