Buying a scooter w no ARC. Gogoro?

So. I will finally be in TW in jun. Yaaaay! Plan to live there w my family for the next 10 or so yrs.
Would like to have a scooter ASAP, and won’t get my ARC until… Sept? Nov? Dec? Landing as a student at NCKU. Classes start June 24th.

So. How do I buy one sans ARC?
(This has been asked, but the post was from 2004… so. Let’s update!)

Also. W the new gogoro. I know dealerships are ruthless and will sell you a vendor if u can’t buy. So, could I buy a gogoro and put it in my name in… 4mo? Should I get a TW friend to sign for me?
How would this work.

Also. I will make a separate post later. But. How does the cell contract work, it seems like a great deal to get the gogoro discount. Plus I need a cell anyways ;-p

Thanks all for advice!

PS. I would most likely buy a used scooter, unless the gogoro thing works. I have contemplated a ghost. But… My wife would also be driving it… so…and we both have international driving permits

You can’t. Your best bet for both a new/used Gogoro or a second hand scooter is for a local friend to buy in their name and to register under their name. You can still ride it because Taiwan is pretty relaxed if the vehicle you’re riding is not in your name. Unless you have an international driver’s license in which allows to operate a motorcycle/scooter, you still need a local scooter license. The likelihood of being pulled over is low, but if you ever do and you don’t have a license, you’re pretty much screwed.

I believe the Far East Tone phone contract + Gogoro promotion is over. If it isn’t, I do not believe you can get the incentives. For you to receive any kind of government incentives, you need a local ID NOT an ARC.

Check my post here for more info:

Try giving the admin a PM on this group and ask if he’s willing to lend you one of his.

I do not recommend buying a ghost bike, the consequences after you get pulled over are not worth the convenience you get from a ghost bike. Admin of the FB group will probably say something similar.

Thanks!
Yeah. I know Robby. He has offered to rent me a scoot for the year. May look into it more seriously.
I do have an u ternstiinsl license with M class. It’s actually a comme coal license w bus and passanger endorsement n everything. So my international has all the stamps available. ;-p
But I will help my wife get her local scoot license. .
Hmmm. Albin order to go the gogoro route… I will look for a local friend who it willing to title it for me. Maybe they will do a similar promo later on…

Thanks again
-c

It will only be good for your first 30 days here. To validate it passed those 30 days, you’ll have to take it your local DMV and they’ll give you another sheet of paper with their stamp on it. Keep that with your IDP (International Driving Permit).

2 Likes

The Far East Tone promotion for the Gogoro2 has ended, however, they have a new promotion for Gogoro 2 Deluxe.

https://promotion.fetnet.net/pmt/gogoro/

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you need an ARC to sign a cell phone contract too…

You might want to hang in there for a few months while you wait for your ARC. You also said you plan on staying for 10 years…what’s a few months compared to 10 years? :smiley: