Buying a suit

quote:
Originally posted by Mucha Man: Your linen/silk suit sounds exactly what I want. Where's the Zegna store?

God, now you’re asking! As far as I remember, there’s one on Tunhua S. Rd, just south of the Renai circle on the east side. There’s also one in the Far Eastern Plaza Mall, I think. I can’t remember for sure, as I bought mine in St. Tropez.

Bri:

Try Michelle Rene at 105 Anho Road, Section 2.

quote:
Originally posted by wsmith: Bri:

Try Michelle Rene at 105 Anho Road, Section 2.

Just remember, you’ll get what you pay for. Those Rene suits are probably fine for office drones, but they’re pretty inexpensive and not well put together. And it shows. They have shops all over the city – its like the 7-11 of suit shops and ALL the insurance salesmen and photocopy repair guys shop there.

You’re DEFINITELY better off with hotel tailor-made that Rene, and the price won’t be much different.

Bri, if you’re only going to have one suit, it REALLY should be a good one!

If all you want is a “suit”, forget Rene and head over to RT Mart!

The Morning News has a three part series on mens fashion for the fashion challenged like myself . It might provide some helpful advice on selecting a suit.

[url=http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/editorial/mens_fashion_part_1_suits.shtml]Men

Thanks for the great advice. those kenzo suits look pretty slick too. I’m starting to think maybe I should just go off the peg seeing as I don’t know enough to tell the tailor exactly what I want without seeing it first. So any experience with Kenzo or know where they have a bigger stor outside of Sogo?

Bri

Thanks everybody for the advice. Just want to report that I just paid a ludicrous amount of money for a suit. The salesperson talked me into an option you guys had all overlooked - it’s for my wedding so why not white?

So I got a Kenzo off-the-peg, three buttoned, single breasted, cool wool. Very stylee suit. More expensive than any of the others we looked at, but we both liked it so much there wasn’t much choice. Also liked the shirt they lent me to try ont he suit that I bought that too, for considerably more than it will cost to get 5 shirts tailored. Oh well.

BTW just kidding about white I may be a beginenr at buying suits, but I’m not that dumb. I got black of course.

Bri

the only Hugo Boss item of clothing I ever bought was a pair of heavyweight linen jeans. GBP115 and still wearing them 8 years later, although I did wash them in 1997. None of this dry clean nonsense either, straight in the washing machine with the socks. I would buy another pair tomorrow but they don’t make them any more. Wore them in Taiwan too, nice and cool. Me and linen are best mates now.

Saw an amazing suit years ago in the Armani shop in Taipei, reduced from ten million pounds (probably) to only NT25. Like something Prince would have worn, mao suit neck, black/gold with white and gold piping - completely outrageous, a cross between Sergeant Peppers, Prince, and Oscar Wilde. It fitted too. Didn’t fit my wallet a whole lot at the time.