Buying a Tent

Exactly, this is why the trailhead caught my eye. The full-length mesh doors are perfect for hot summer nights.

klikk.no/multimedia/archive/ … 76619d.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=u_sPMBZRYyA

How about this one:

consumersearch.com/tents/big … ig-house-6

The north face gets mixed reviews for ventilation:

consumersearch.com/tents/the … railhead-8

I bought one from Marmot ultra light, its entirely meshed with a seperate drape over sheet to keep the elements out should it rain, came with ground sheet, all up about 1.8kg, sleeps 2 ok for tall 6ft+ people like me too.

Excellent advice, however We are usually a fair bit more than 2.

this weekend we were 4 in my MIL’s Rhino Brand, it’s OK, but short of all the details I loved about coleman (That said, the durability of the rhino is likely to be better than Coleman).

I need one which will comfortable sleep at least 4-5 adults.

[quote=“Mr He”]The north face gets mixed reviews for ventilation:
consumersearch.com/tents/the … railhead-8[/quote]

I loved this comment from one of the reviewers over at trailspace. :laughing:
trailspace.com/gear/the-nort … iew/13854/

“When I was in the tent I didn’t feel like I wanted to be in it just because of the drab color. It actually was depressing even on a sunny day. I must say that if I had the choice I would return the tent and buy one that is more cheerful in color. I should have looked into the color more carefully before my purchase but unfortunately it was marked down (I know why) and was not returnable.”

Wonder if the guy in Zhongli also has the ground sheets and the gear loft.

[quote=“Mr He”]Excellent advice, however We are usually a fair bit more than 2.

this weekend we were 4 in my MIL’s Rhino Brand, it’s OK, but short of all the details I loved about coleman (That said, the durability of the rhino is likely to be better than Coleman).

I need one which will comfortable sleep at least 4-5 adults.[/quote]

Kelty Mantra 7…

I love this tent…The pitch is extremely taught, is great in the wind and totally weatherproof. We’ve tested it in pretty much all conditions, and 5 adults is only too easy. We’ve done 4 adults and 4 kids, but 4 adults with blow up mattresses and using the room divider (Note separate doors) is very, very comfortable camping. The vestibule is huge, allowing for 2 chairs and a small table so you can have a game of cards in complete weather protection.

They’ll be running around 500USD online…I have the only one in Taiwan though.

[quote=“chung”]Forget about it, quality should be your only consideration. :slight_smile:

The North Face Trailhead 6 - NT$15,300
thenorthface.com/catalog/sc- … ead-6.html
Johnny Outdoor Specialty Shop, No 319, Sec. 1 Zhongshan E. Rd., Zhongli City[/quote]

TNF Taiwan has stopped stocking them, so that option is out.

well after reading all those reviews from you guys, all i can think is where can i actually buy one of those tents (i mean a good one for 4 ~5 adults) in Taiwan??? I hate to buy online because i dont get to see the product and get the feeling from it… which in camping material is very important to feel happy when you buy stuff and use it !!!

Mr He needs has been identified. I think he needs a tent for family camping and not for mountaineering or hiking. Correct me if I am wrong.

Forget all the ultralite tent and just focus on his needs. Now here are a few other questions before getting the right tent.

1. How often do you go camping?
  2. How many people do you wish to bunk with you?
  3. What is your budget?
  4. Are you car camping mostly?
  5. Do you think there is a need to hike with a tent?
  6. Do you want alittle privacy in the tent?
  7. Do you spent most of the time in the tent?
  8. Is tent weight an issue, what is your ideal weight?

Cheers mate

well checking the questions done by SCX:

1. How often do you go camping? if everything goes well 3 to 4 times a year…
  2. How many people do you wish to bunk with you? at least 2 adults, 1 dog and in the near future 1 baby ;P, so maybe a 4 ppl tent would do fine
  3. What is your budget? 6k ~ 10k better if in the middle :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  4. Are you car camping mostly? well i am not intending to walk 2 hours to get where i want to camp… so you could say that i can camp not far from the car…
  5. Do you think there is a need to hike with a tent? nop
  6. Do you want alittle privacy in the tent? dont mind from people, but yes from my dog :wink:
  7. Do you spent most of the time in the tent? no
  8. Is tent weight an issue, what is your ideal weight? no problem with the weight

now, i have been checking the options on the provided links by the fellow campers on this forum and i liked this 2 options:

1. rei.com/product/777761 (REI Kingdom 4 Tent)
  2. llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores … ppxs&dds=y (King Pine Dome Tent, Four-Person )

I like more the first one…

anyway, any more suggestions??? other brands with similar arrangements, quality and cost?

The hell with all of this…I want a report on what you guys opinions are after using your Hennessy Hammocks!

I’m very interested in purchasing the largest one they make…I notice you’ve only brought in the smaller versions. Also REI purchase?

[quote=“omerojs”]now, I have been checking the options on the provided links by the fellow campers on this forum and i liked this 2 options:

2. llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores … ppxs&dds=y (King Pine Dome Tent, Four-Person )

anyway, any more suggestions??? other brands with similar arrangements, quality and cost?[/quote]

1. Eureka Twister 6, US$270 eurekatent.com/p-86-eureka-twister-tent.aspx

2. Eureka Equinox 6, US$350 eurekatent.com/p-87-equinox-6-tent.aspx
    beautymountain88.com.tw/ping … 004-18.jpg

3. Sierra Designs Bedouin 6, US$360 sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=12

4. Big Anges Big House 6, US$360 bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/BigHouse6

5. Kelty Mantra 7, US$500 kelty.com/kelty/products.php?id=139

[quote=“omerojs”]well checking the questions done by SCX:

1. How often do you go camping? if everything goes well 3 to 4 times a year…
  2. How many people do you wish to bunk with you? at least 2 adults, 1 dog and in the near future 1 baby ;P, so maybe a 4 people tent would do fine
  3. What is your budget? 6k ~ 10k better if in the middle :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  4. Are you car camping mostly? well I am not intending to walk 2 hours to get where I want to camp… so you could say that i can camp not far from the car…
  5. Do you think there is a need to hike with a tent? nop
  6. Do you want alittle privacy in the tent? dont mind from people, but yes from my dog :wink:
  7. Do you spent most of the time in the tent? no
  8. Is tent weight an issue, what is your ideal weight? no problem with the weight

now, I have been checking the options on the provided links by the fellow campers on this forum and i liked this 2 options:

anyway, any more suggestions??? other brands with similar arrangements, quality and cost?[/quote]

omerojs,
My suggestion from your answers, just get a tent locally. 3 to 4 times a year is extremely low impact camping. Dun think too far coz tent have lifespan mostly 5 to 10yrs. Your style of camping is call “comfort camping”. So look out for such tents.
If you have intention to get more stuff from REI, then order from there because REI product is cheaper compare to other brands. They made their product after understanding others and came up with their version. So far there are many good reviews on their product.
Otherwise maybe you want to check here http://100mountain.com/shop/index.php/cPath/29_41. The Logos tent have pretty good setup too buy I have no experience with them. I like they use the fire retardant material. This setup might be suitable for you http://100mountain.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/29_41/products_id/3581 there is space for your dog.

MJB,
I ordered from Hennessy Hammock directly not from REI. Yes, I only have the original version. I was planning to introduce Hammock Camping to my friends here, did not realise there was demand for larger hammocks from the expats. Had a lot of request for larger hammock. My bad :cry:

Previously I do alot of jungle trekking in Malaysia and the Hammock works far better than a D-tent. In the jungle the ground is always wet n you never know what is crawling. But when I came to Taiwan and saw the terrain with razor sharp broken ground slate and very sloppy mountain, Hennessy Hammock is very ideal too. Already I had a tiny hole in one of my D-tent from one of the trip. I still yet to try in High mountain, I was planning for BeiDaWu Shan but now the trail is closed. Maybe next time.

Overall hammock camping is light. Mostly people who have weight issue uses them.
This June we cycled 120km to Kenting with my kids with all our camp gears. They complaint it was cold at night when we camp near the sea. The wind came from the bottom n they had only a jacket. So you need to have a sleeping bag. However they really like it, in the day time it was was cool enough to hang yourself and read a book. But the only setback is that, you dun have privacy, you need to find a place to change your clothes and most of your stuff have to be out of your tent. Mostly people do Stealth camping with hammock.

Another note, hammock camping is best to come with a Tarp. The current Hennessy Hammock Tarp is insufficient for wilderness camping. When it rains you will be caught unless you hide in the hammock, everything outside will be wet and you can’t do a decent cooking. You need a Tarp to shelter your camp ground.

Tarp are very useful, the work far better than any tents. You can configure any shape to your liking. If given only one option, I rather choose a Tarp. Nowadays my camping trip, I always carry a Tarp. It give me an option to practise my camp craft :slight_smile:
I will post later more on Tarp camping and why you need it.

There are many vids on youtube about Hammock Camping. You can check out how they do it.
Here is a good site on Hammock camping http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html

Cheers :sunglasses:

Thanks for the help, could you please post the address in chinese of that place so i can go check it out… i tried the website but didnt work well…

Well CSX i know that is down south now… so maybe a bit far jejeje… but i might still buy online if i cannot find any good shop around my area… one question… are those products with discount only for online sale? or if ever go to the shop would i still get the same prize?
THX for all your help!!
actually going through your website i will try to camp in all those spots !!!

I heard 100Mountains had decades of experience in this field. The price will be the same as online and this year they had a shop opened in Taipei. Send them an email, they are able to reply you in Queen’s lingo. :sunglasses:

Let me know if you have any problem with them. So far they are my key to other manufacture’s office in Taipei when I needed assistance for products warranty issues.

PS: I think their website was down yesterday evening, that’s why I din reply. Now is back online.

service@100mountain.com

Haven’t been camping in about 20 years, so am completely out of touch with what makes a good tent these days. I’ve done some reading about it, but am still a bit confused as to what to buy. Any advice would be much appreciated! Basically, the tent will be used by two people most of the time, but we’d like to have a bit of space and headroom, so I’m thinking a 6 man tent might be the way to go (some of them seem to be around 180cm tall). Budget wise, not looking for anything cheap and nasty, but I don’t need anything crazily expensive either - it’s only going to be used for relaxing trips to campsites if the weather is agreeable. I think the mountaneering or 4 season super tents might be a bit over the top for what we need. Some of the friends we would be camping with frequent those ‘campsites’ with the wooden platforms to set your tent on. Would a 6 man tent fit on those platforms? There seem to be a lot of Rhino and Derjing tents on sale here. Any opinions as to whether these are any good? Here’s one from Rhino http://store.pchome.com.tw/outdoorfun/M06184228.htm abd this one is DerJing http://www.camp168.com/prodshow.asp?ProdId=DJ316
Any advice?

Costco has some good tents for sale right now.

Rhino tents are generally good as they make tents for the big famous companies and use the same fabric and stitching and design largely in their own brand.