Buying a Used Car in Taiwan (Taichung)

I’m not sure if @sulavaca is monitoring this thread. You can also contact him directly by phone eyc. on his website:

https://www.actaiwan.org/visit-us

I’ve bought a couple cars in Taichung. First one was an 8-year old beater Civic that I got from SUM. The old guy was super nice and gave a reasonable price. When I wanted a new car, I sold it back to the same guy, and he gave me a fair price too. I was very picky about who I wanted to deal with, and I also knew what to look for in terms of what needed to be replaced. He let me look under the car and in the engine bay and had him replace serpentine belt, rear lower control arm bushings, and rear struts at no additional cost. He also let me bring it to a third party company to do a full check on the car. Worked well for me.

My second car came directly from VW because young sh*theads beat the piss out of GTIs here. I was able to get the full maintenance history from VW with some gentle pressure, but do keep in mind that no one keeps maintenance records here. No carfax, nothing. Definitely make sure you trust the person you buy from and have a third party company check it out if it’s used.

I’m not sure if people will appreciate all the documentation that will come with my car, but they should.