Buying and installing air conditioner (new or used)

So methinks we found the perfect home for our family.
Renovated last year. Close to NCKU. Or text size.
However, empty. So we will need all furniture.
It has a hot water heater, and that’s it.

I am negotiating rental price with the owner.
Anybody have recent experience having AC units installed? (Mini split)
What do they cost? I’ve seen anywhere from. 60-95k, but that seems old days.
I’ve also seen used ones selling g for u
My wife used to manage an AC business back in Plays del Carmen, and when we were going to install AC there, she said never buy used, as ppl do t know how to properly uninstall and can damage them. However, here, used mini splits seem to be common.
We would primarily want one for the bedroom (8-10ping)
And only if negotiable, one for the living room (prob 12 ping).
Suggestions on companies or how to search?
And I am completely unfamiliar with reliability of local. Brands. I Mex we always used Trane, bc though more expensive, better warranty and service.

We plan to live in the house 1-3yrs, so longevity is not as important as budget (will have e to see if the landlord has an opinion about that)

Oh. We are in Tainan btw

You’re renting the place but does renovation and buy ac by yourself?

My landlord just paid to have a split unit installed for my living room. It’s a 6.3 kW Fujitsu with heating. He had to pay a little extra because apparently our complex wasn’t plumbed for the heating or something like that. He paid 70,000 NT.

It was from a chain store called 全國電子。

1 Like

the place has just been renovated.
i am going to rent it for 1-3yrs.
it is completely empty, so i will have to equip it.
i am going to try to negotiate with the landlord to discount the cost of the things that will remain there adn benefit future rental (increase rental worth)
so, AC, Fridge, water filtration system, internet, washing machine.
(i want to mention the cost of of other things, but do not expect him to discount those (bed, furniture, etc)
still need to do a search here, but, if you happen to know a good internet provider and how they work here, would appreciate info.

thanks @Yang_Gui_Zi, thats what i was afraid of. if my rent will be 150k for the year, i dont think he would discount 70k. hahaha. but maybe part of it :wink:

If you lock in for 3 years right off the bat, you’ll have more negotiating power for the appliances. I negotiated down for buying a washing machine and will leave it with the apartment.

He offered to install the living room A/C unit for re-signing another 2-year lease.

Your situation is pretty common. I would suggest you to buy a new AC in some large supermarket like RT-Mart. The shown price already includes the installation fees. BTW, you can sell it to your landlord later when you will move out or take it with yourself. That is what we did a few years ago.

Edit. I forget to mention that the installation is easy if the room is prepared to be equipped with AC. Otherwise the fee could be higher.

There are free-standing portable AC units available. If you plan to stay in Taiwan, you could take them with you. No installation costs (?). Plus it’s easier to sell to someone else because you won’t need to rip it out if the wall.

yeah… they suck loads of watts… very inefficient.
(my wife managed an AC biz in PDC for 6 yrs) she balked at the mention.
the motor is next to the air being cooled, and generates heat, plus they are not 220v…
anywho. tks.
i had gotten excited when i saw one of those on sale for 2000ntd (used)
much cheaper than the 70k an install seems to cost. sigh…
maybe a used minisplit… but the landlord would prob want new. so we will see if he will cost it. ;-p

You know. 70k is for the unit with heating ability. Do you really need it? Typically, it makes the price double. Just look around, the price for new small split system should be about 30k. Also, if you consider installing by yourself, you should have or rent some special equipment to fill system with a gas.

i don’t know how much manual labor costs here in TW. in mexico, i would get someone to install it because it is inexpensive.in the united states, labor costs are often as much or more than the equipment.
thank you for pointing that out.
so… butdget 90k for 3 units?
I’m going to try to find a local biz to come an look at the area and give an estimate.
two of the AC units should be able to share a condenser. not sure if all 3.
there are 2 bedrooms, 1 office and the living room. bedrooms and office have door. living room connects to kitchen, no door… so… need a bigger unit.
do people not do ceiling fans here?
i have not seen any in any of the apartments ive been in…

If you go to RT Mart, Carrefour, etc., you’ll notice that the heating only adds ~3000 NT. That’s why my landlord had no problem agreeing to it when I asked.

My coworker thought the same thing (double the price) until I showed her pictures of the units at RT Mart.

P.S. The heating function is NICE! :wink:

Maybe you’re right but it seems to me 70k is a little expensive. I did a search about 5 years ago. I would suggest OP to check the prices online first. This PChome link should be a good example.

What size were you shopping for? This was for a 6.3 kW Japanese branded unit. And, as mentioned, landlord had to pay a little extra for the installation fee because of the heating function. I think it was about an extra 10,000 NT. The unit itself with basic installation was around 60,000 NT.

Pretty sure this is the one I have. (61,480 NT)
https://mall.pchome.com.tw/prod/QBAJ11-A90091VSU

Here is the same unit without heating. Exactly 3000 NT less. (58,480 NT)
https://mall.pchome.com.tw/prod/QBAJ11-A90091WFB

Edit: added the prices

Yeah, I know. As I said you were right. Japanese brands are always costly. My link is not for arguing. It is for OP to help with selection. Cheers :slight_smile: .

No worries, I’m not arguing. Just giving the OP real information from first-hand experience.

And letting you know that although it seems “a little expensive”, it’s exactly what it was. And that the heating function will not be double the price. 61,500 with heating, 58,500 without.

OP if the wife has 6 years of experience in the AC business, go with her advice.

FYI lots of people do not service or take care of their AC units here in Taiwan.

If you buy new at a major chain store like Carrefour, RT Mart, 3C(燦坤) or World Electronics (全國電子), installation is usually included.

I would suggest you negotiate with the landlord based on your 3 year stay. You have plenty of leverage if the landlord knows they’re set for 450k for three years.

Last summer, I want to Xiamen street and bought a late model 2nd hand split unit - inverter type. It lowered by electric bill dramatically compared the window unit and the place is quiet and cool. I paid $25K for 2.5 tons. Then another 8K or so for the copper tubing to get the compressor where I wanted it, mounted properly. https://goo.gl/maps/dPFe2Yg4MKx I have hit and miss, but this one was a hit.

I am not arguing with that.

But in my second post I meant 70k is “a little” expensive compared with other non-Japanese brands which is possible to find at around 30k with similar cooling power (and without heating function).

OP lives down south, I think heating may not be an issue. But it is still a very nice added and economical benefit.

One more vote on buying the newer units, due to energy efficiency. You will see the gadget classified. 3 is bad. 1 is best. It makes a big difference. older units spend more power.

全國電子。gives good service and quality and you can pay in installments. Costco is best for guarantee a la US, but afterservice is problematic.

But you’re still giving wrong information. From your own link the 30,000 NT units are for 3.6 kW (for only 5-6 平) or less. That is not “similar cooling power” as a 6.3 kW unit.

Might be enough for the bedroom, but would not work for the living room.

It’s ok to say you were mistaken, without caveats and grasping at straws to justify. :2cents:

FYI, I originally was also thinking my landlord would only need to pay around 35,000 NT. But then I started really pricing it for the correct size unit and the price jumped.