Buying and installing air conditioner (new or used)

I gave a link with many brands, not just one. Now I have no time for searching the unit which is exactly satisfying your 6.3kW but later I will give it especially for you

I didn’t refer to any one brand. Just glanced at your link which shows several units around the 30,000 NT price range and they were 3.6 kW or less.

Anyway, all of this can get temped because it is not helping the OP whatsoever. @chichihuil, my apologies for the unnecessary tangent. I hope some of what I posted is of use to you.

OK, as I promised I have found the split AC system with cooling power 6.5kW for just 28790NT plus 5500NT for the standard installation.

1 Like

One vote for 全國電子
U can also ask if there’s reimbursement that U can apply for from the gov’t.

U can look for cheap local brand called冰點空調. If u don’t mind it’s a bit loud, it’s very cheap and suitable for u to leave it with the landlord without hard feelings.

Get a ACs with inbuilt dehumidifier you can plug in to your water pipes, it will keep the place dry and insert he waste water directly down the drain so you dont need to mess around with those wall plugged boxes that are loud, look like shite and need to be emptied every day.

That is a good find! :notworthy:

Heran lists the MSRP on their website at 47,900 NT. PC Home has it (w/basic installation) for 39,512.

Edit: However, the efficiency rating is a 4. Per Icon’s earlier post, that’s worse than bad.

Avoid Sampo.

I do prefer Panasonic - Japanese better, MIT OK.

IF money is not an issue, get a Japanese brand: Mistubishi, Hitachi.

Just to emphasize how important this rating is, when I changed my US style double door for a Panasonic made in Japan fridge, the bill became 300 NTD. That is for two months. It was like 700 to a thousand before.

1 Like

Happy to know my Japanese-branded unit has a rating of 1.

I’m actually a bit surprised at the prices you guys are listing for Japanese units.

I remember the unit I have at home is a TECO that was priced a bit under 30k. Surprisingly enough, it does have heat functions. Which I did use once during that cold wave we had earlier this year. So far so good.

So nice! Love having the heat function! Just makes the home much more comfortable. I usually have to wear a jacket when I visit my Aunt and Uncle in Keelung around Chinese New Year.

I actually couldn’t keep it on for too long. It made the room super stuffy, but I guess that’s what comes with a 30k unit.

Inverter technology is good for power consumption if you leave it running for awhile. I hear that if you stop start stop start the unit, that you’ll miss the power savings benefit.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve read that too. Easier to maintain a temperature than constantly overworking to bring the temp down.

thanks a bundle guys. went to a local 3c store and saw a variety of units (amogst those Heran) of brand i did not recognize for 20899 and 23599 (on “sale”) both are 5.7kwh units rated at 1.
my main concern is staying cool with low power bill.
i dont care if they explode in 4 years. as long as they run fine for 3.
my friend is helpin interpret with the landlord, and apparently, he will not decrease the rent, even if i lock in 3 years, or pay 2years up front.
so, no mention of AC or fridge or other appliances that tend to come with the home.
maybe after 3 years i can sell em back to him.
takin my wife over tmrw morning to give the final OK, than prob setting up a time for the owner to come down to Tainan from Taipei for contract signing. he specifically asked my friend to be present to help interprent.
so, i guess, he is ok w just the standard 3 month initial payment, and has no use for a big chunk of cash. odd, and i wonder if my friends interpretation was completely accurate… but…
i guess ill just have more of my money to do business with.
leave my wife happier anyways, knowing theres a good backup in case we have some sort of emergency.
tks for the momo link. though im having trouble decifering the specs, even with googles help. maybe my wife can make more sense of it.
funyn enough, my friend sent me a link to Momo for a gas stove, and its 1999. comapred to 5000+ on pcmall.
though… i dont feel i need to buy a new stove.
AC, yes. especially as you dont know how ppl have treated them or how they where uninstalled. but gas stove? seams i can get a high quality ex restaurant one.
need to find a place that sells such things… in mexico there is a street where you can get all sorts of commercial hardware.
thanks @Aikaili, i like the location you gave. will come useful when we move to taipei after my masters. it is exactly the type of place i like. and by than, my chinese should be negotiation lvl. :wink:

just in case anyone knows… good place to find used freezer?
dont need one yet. but by december when we start goin w the icecream parlor thing, for sure.

i thoght all mini splits had a wanter drain? when we build houses in mexico, you prep the rooms with a hole for said drain…
so… i will make sure the unit i buy does have it. is it a featured thing? would it be easy to find if it does? i have seen dehum as a feature.
we had the rep help us soleley through pointing and gestures.
however, we did find a washer/dryer. yay! thought at 38k… uff…

1 Like

quick upate. havent really found any used ones. they say what we are looking for are too big and therefore hard to find used.
been looking on carrefour’s website, as i know they accept amex

is 8000btus… so… for a bathroom?
we need min 12, pref 18 for the bedroom.
might need a 30 for the living room. and because those are prohibitively expensive… might just put fans in and a small one in the neighboring room.
my wife let us know that putting two 18k NTB 8000 BTU AC is not the same as one 20000 btu. that it is riduculous and will use double the energy.
so, we have to just eat it, and buy one larger one. ;-(
hahaha
found this TECO one… dont feel its a good brand… but…

reasonable price. 14k btu for 32k ntd.
momo shop seems to be cheapest for everything.
2900 NTD stove at carrefour is 1999 on momo. same stove. (momo shows the price slashed from 3999)
does anyone have any experience with momo shop and its methods of payment?
paypal? (i know its not common here)

Go to http://www.elifemall.com.tw/allnewweb/index.php?linkfrom=

http://www.elifemall.com.tw/allnewweb/product.php?idept=200

They will evaluate teh size of your room -or you can give them an estimate- and then you can buy accordingly.

Again, do not buy Heran or local brands, yes, even for 3 years. Mine started failing at 2. It si not worth the headache.

Do not buy used as they are not economical in terms of energy use.

3C -teh yelllow store- is a headache in terms of service. Please do not buy from them.

Go to ZhuengGuo or Costco. This one preferably. 30k is no small peanuts.

thanks @Icon . i will check out the stores you mentioned.
we wanted LG, as in mexico they are the best besides TRANE as they are made in Taiwan and not China… so we assume they must be more affordable here?
havent seen them for sale anywhere though…

Yes they are available, but I am not that convinced about te quality. They are prettier, though. And I think the price is OK.

Panasonic Sanyo Mitsubishi Hitachi Daikin.

Seeking air conditioner advice from sage Forumosans. Hope this is the right or most current thread, if not mods please move, it is what turned up on a Google search.

My Daikin split unit with inverter started severely underperforming last week. I dropped the temp to 18 and it’s still only wheezing out slightly cool air. Works sorta ok at night when the temps are down but daytime pretty useless.

It is 11 years old, which I thought wasn’t that old for an a/c unit, but after asking around many think that’s an average lifespan. I had it professionally cleaned a couple of seasons ago and it does not look dirty as it really did the last time I had it serviced. The filters aren’t even dusty. I don’t use a/c 24/7, mostly at night so it hasn’t been heavily used.

One thing, the protective coating on tubes running on the outside of the building have rotted out and they are now exposed. I imagine this could be a significant contributor.

The small service company that did the maintenance last time said they are booked through next week when my T.A. called them so even getting it looked at by them will take forever.

Figuring, despite the big pocket punch, it’s probably best to just get a new unit, I went to Carrefour to look at units thinking they usually have English service by somebody on staff, but when I called their numbers (including one that said call for service in English) I just got recordings in Chinese and no answer.

So, opinions and recommendations would be appreciated. I mainly need somebody who can explain things in basic English. I would lean toward the Panasonic and Daikin brands I saw at Carrefour.

Thanks in advance for any input. It’s hot!

1 Like