Buying and registering a scooter without a license

Is it possible to buy a second-hand scooter and have the registration, insurance, etc changed over to my name without a license?

The idea here is to buy the scooter, get some practice driving, and then go for my license. Is this possible? Or do I have to (somehow) get my license first without actually having a scooter to drive?

Thanks in advance!

If you get a 50 cc scooter you don’t need to take a driving test. It’s just a written test, which is pretty easy to pass because all the questions are online for you to practice beforehand.

While you legally can’t ride it, you don’t actually need a licence to buy a scooter.
The fine is about $6000nt, if you get caught riding…and that’s if they don’t send you on your way when you lift your visor.

and if you don’t live in Metro Taipei you’d have to be trying really hard to get the police to give a damn about what you are doing on the roads regardless… unless you’re wheelieing, naked and standing on the saddle past a police station flying a commie China flag off the back of your bike, the cops won’t give a damn what you do on the roads…

that said, getting a licence is quick, easy, and well worth it…

[quote=“plasmatron”]…unless you’re wheelieing, naked and standing on the saddle past a police station flying a commie China flag off the back of your bike…[/quote]TTIWWOP :smiley:

[quote=“TiruGondar”][color=blue]Is it possible to buy a second-hand scooter and have the registration, insurance, etc changed over to my name without a license?[/color]

The idea here is to buy the scooter, get some practice driving, and then go for my license. [color=blue]Is this possible? [/color]

[color=red]Or do I have to (somehow) get my license first without actually having a scooter to drive?[/color]
Thanks in advance![/quote]

The answer to your first two questions (in [color=blue]blue[/color]) is… YES!

The answer to the last (in [color=red]red[/color]) is …NOPE!