Buying and restoring old buildings in Taipei City

OK out cycling this week and come accross this fantastic old uninhabited, close to dereliction ‘house’ in Taipei.

Any how sent photo to some family they all love it as much as me.
My son who works for a vintage building restoration company said: hey buy it I will come over and help you restore it! lovely idea but I don’t have the money and know will never get done.
Question:

how would you go about finding out if under a preservation order of some type? if not it should be.

How to find the owner? could it be bought?

I repeat i have no intention to buy.

5 Likes

Definitely a beauty. The problem in Taiwan is that land is super expensive and many owners just sit on old buildings until they can find a buyer who is willing to shell over a ton of money.

Then there are family disputes which keep many buildings empty. Everyone is fighting over their little bit of the pie and they’d rather see a building such as this disintegrate than find a buyer who’d fix it up. Furthermore, most Taiwanese would look at this and just say it’s ugly. They rather tear it down and put some big ugly thing in its place with a 7/11 on the ground floor.

5 Likes

Gorgeous. Also gotta love that pyramid eye on top.

1 Like

Better to buy land and build on your own.

Sadly perhaps in taiwan have japanes cultural influence and some costumes.
Taiwan its not a country who care too much about keep old buldings clean. They only keep temples good

Couldn’t build one that looks like that! whole deal is how it looks.

I wouldn’t buy land and build in Taiwan, I wouldn’t buy an apartment or any building in Taiwan.

As for those Hotel apartments, 72 ping becomes 58 ping for your bit of parking, pool, gym, bar, yoga room, all but parking would never be used.
Not only that look out the window to a block of 50+ years grey dirty apartments with a px mart underneath, no thank you.

1 Like

This is in Wenshan district, right? In a lane close to the river

Yeah well 20 other odd million people would fortunately so we have somewhere to live lol.

As for that building they may be forced to maintain the facade or at least it is probably listed somehow , the building itself could be a write off already. Which is often the plan anyway. Land is just worth too much here.

From my apartment I have a beautiful view of the mountains . Lots of good views possible here. Back home I’d have a view of a two up, two down. It’s not exactly a whole lot better.

Even if you could afford the land in Taipei, which is extremely inflated, as mentioned above real estate country wide is.such a mess you would want to knkw chinese and have a good lawyer that trusts your family to be able not to get screwed somehow. The backed taxes on that thing are probably as much as many of our homes back in our native countries.

It kind of reminds me of this cool building we have in Taoyuan:

6 Likes

Those things are considered ugly by the Taiwanese. Most of them like the modern faceless blocks only

2 Likes

…with lots of bright, fluorescent lights. The more and the brighter the better.

2 Likes

… except that that one in Taoyuan is hideous and gauche, while the abandoned one in Wenshan is elegant and timeless.

7 Likes

The windows on the second floor look better than the ones in my apartment. You sure no one is living there?

3 Likes

This is true. Still, it’s more interesting to look at than the other buildings around it.

3 Likes

Agreed 100 percent but if the construction quality is good its gonna be interesting in 40 years.

My point is it’s better to buy land to build new than to buy dilapidated building to restore/refurbish/renovate.

I think we got that from your last post. The whole point of this is the character of the vintage building. We all understand the potential problems I’m sure.

2 Likes

O n Keelung river, Linmen Road bridge next to it, Sijhih District

1 Like

Yeah you could be right, be good to speak to them if so and see if they know history, or always been in the family.

This is built beside it.