Buying farmland in Taiwan (sources)

Haha it sounds like you are a bit fed up of foreigners :slight_smile:
With my HK girlfriend we are looking for a place in the future to change our life to a farming experience. This project would require some points of attention. Affordable in price, temperate or sub tropical weather for easier farming experience, language accessibility, political security, healthcare, welcoming local people etc. This criteria exclude lots of places and my girlfriend and I kinda like Taiwan overall. After checking this topic it might not be possible anymore. We will have a look at Canada and Italy. Last choice is France cause it would be to difficult for her

I am a foreigner myself, so not fed up, and also know about how to actually buy farmland, as have others here who have thoughtfully replied.
You may want to check into your HK girlfriend as Taiwan may have changed immigration rules for the better.
Iā€™m guessing if you hire a real estate agent to actually look, you will find land out there in a price range, even to maybe rent. Look also to east coast where thereā€™s less people, or up in the mountains.
Visit a farmersā€™ association, theyā€™re everywhere in the countryside and start asking questions directly to them.

3 Likes

it is not impossible.

Article 19 of
Land Act

Aliens may acquire land of the following usages for self use, investment and public welfare, but the area and location of such land shall be subject to restrictions imposed according to Act by the competent Municipal or County (City) Government:
ā€¦
(8) Investments helping important construction in the country, the economy as a whole, and agriculture and pasture, which have been approved by the central authority in charge of the business.

Farm land is not included in Article 17 of the Act.

2 Likes

Sounds good, thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

Try Canada, Greece, Georgia etc.

Try Malaysia, foreigners can own farm land (for personal farming not to sell crops or start a palm oil business)

1 Like

:+1: If you are open to Eastern Europe this is a great option.

1 Like

Visa free 360 days per year!

Good to know. Thanks. Any links please?

I want to ask a taiwan (NWOHR)Can buy a house or farmland in taiwan?

I could be wrong but I think foreigners can freehold land to farm their own food/garden but Malaysia just wonā€™t allow commercial farming of the land to compete against local palm oil farmers
2 Likes

Taiwan also protects local farming industry against foreign business. Along with livestock, fisheries and logging. Here you are allowed to.do the work, if your work rights allow, but cant open a company with certain items in its registration.

Hey, I am French in a family growing wine in Bordeaux region for 200 years and I plan to plant a new vineyard in Taiwan to make a great wine. I am making a company where there will be Taiwanese in it. I have found a good terroir but I have no idea who to ask about prices of land. And I have to settle a budget. Is there anyone who could help me to move one step forward?

2 Likes

Land varies a lot. Expext as low as 300,000/fen for a lease with aboriginals on crappy land and probably many future legal issues. Buying land, 500,000-10,000,000/fen for actual ownership. Depends entirely where, roads, development etc. For bare dirt and a road with no services expect 700,000-1,000,000/fen.

4 fen is roughly 1 acre. All nt. Land isnt cheap in taiwan. At least in my opinion.

2 Likes

Iā€™m curious as to who youā€™d be trying to sell this wine to? Iā€™d imagine selling Taiwan wine overseas would be very, very difficult given that the world is awash in good, cheap wine from countries that have a reputation for wine. Domestically, wine is much less popular than hard liquor and beer.

1 Like

Once a person runs numbers, you would be shocked at how lucrative things can be for people who are actually good at it and work hard. Im vastly ignorant about wine aromatics, but can certainly see it workingā€¦the world is far bigger than taiwanese plastic being sold to western countries on a subsidy. Lots of money floating around for anyone willing.to care enough to grab it. That guy seems to have a skill, a method, but lacks on the ground knowledge of taiwan laws, history and logisticsā€¦ A common but very simple problem to resolve. If he is willing to spend time, effort and money, taiwan is a place things can happen. But its not a cake walkā€¦

2 Likes

While itā€™s not my industry, I have a friend who is in the beer and wine trade.

Thereā€™s a jokeā€¦you know how to make a small fortune in wine? Start with a large fortune. This is especially true when it comes to production.

The world is awash in good, cheap wine from France, Argentina, Chile and Australia, among others. US wine isnā€™t as big here because of tariffs, but there are good inexpensive wines from the US too.

You can grow decent wine in a surprising number of places but Taiwan seems like an odd choice given the cost of land, typhoon risk, limited size of the domestic market, fact that a high % of Taiwanese canā€™t metabolize alcohol very well, no online sales, etc. Taiwan wine would be a very hard sell abroad because of competition with countries with established reputations and low costs, tariffs, etc.

Wish the OP the best and just asked my question out of curiosity. Never know when youā€™re going to learn something new.

1 Like

True. But judging by that persons posts and mentions, he is aiming at ego markets, not cheap and good. That is a world apart from the real world, and a world where a small farm can make lots of cash based on little more than hard work, diligence and a story.

2 Likes

You mean where wealthy Chinese shell out thousands for bottles of Lafite and Mouton?

1 Like

Thats one example, but certainly the limits are not just confined to that nationality, brand or timeline. Hence my mention of ā€œego marketā€. It embraces it all without racial, historical or brand boundaries.

2 Likes