Buying farmland

I would be very interested to hear you get on with your farmland purchases finlay and pingdong. As i am interested in buying land and am just starting the process which as a non-chinese speaker is a little baffling.

For what it is worth, we went to the land office and got the word from the horses mouth. farmland need to have 2500 square meters or more to be able to build (in Pingdong County). up to 3 meters then certain % restrictions which seemed to vary.

so without busting my head thinking how many ping/fen/meters equal each otehr i think that is about 2.5 fen+ to build a house.

There is also a 2 year wait now.

Technically, there is a way around any problem here if you dont mind doing things that way.

Yes, I got the same info.

2 year wait for planning permission?

OK, now we have bought land and have everything more or less understood. the 2 year wait in Pingtung is for foreign buyers, meaning from other counties. Right now there are a LOT of city folk coming here to buy farms/mountain land and build a mini mansion on them for a weekend house. i think its to curb that a bit, or appear to anyway. So if you are from pingtung, no 2 year wait. no wait at all, just start drawing up your plans and such.

Remembering this is all from Pingtung county, it varies county to county for some things.

Whereabout in Miaoli? I thought about the possibility to buy a place there one day (distant future). I like the area east of Sanyi, like Dahu or Zhuolan. Strawberry country, no industry, hilly, mountains not too high, so less chance of landsides and flooding during typhoons.

ooo, that was a long time ago. I gave up on that bit because work demands at the time meant that I couldn’t give it the attention it needed. Back in Taipei for now, with a smaller plot, but looking around again - probably to buy, this time.

It was in Toufen. A lot of foreigners seem to think it’s the arse end of the universe, but I quite liked it. I would have happily moved there if I hadn’t had other commitments.

In other words, if you’re a local, you can flout the law with just a nudge and a wink, but if you’re from out of town, you have to kowtow to local sensibilities before you flout the law. :unamused: Taiwan up!

Whereabout in Miaoli? I thought about the possibility to buy a place there one day (distant future). I like the area east of Sanyi, like Dahu or Zhuolan. Strawberry country, no industry, hilly, mountains not too high, so less chance of landsides and flooding during typhoons.[/quote]

Nice places both, I spend a lot of time in Miaoli and know it well. My in-laws are based in Gongguan and are part-time farmers. Zhuolan is great fruit country. The back of Sanyi is also very picturesque. There are so many awesome hidden valleys in Miaoli and Hsinchu , I’m in Taichung now and it sucks ass compared to both of them.

Any update on all this?

A friend (European with Taiwanese wife, land in wife name) has bought some coastal farmland in Pingtung waited the 2years and now been told that rules have changed and he cannot build property on his land. I have been offered some farmland nearby and would like to pull the trigger but getting nervous about the development rights. As I understand it, the land my friend bought has been left idle negating it’s definition of farmland so he needs use the land as farmland for another 2years before building development can be considered.

Does this sound right?

[quote=“smileymiley”]Any update on all this?

A friend (European with Taiwanese wife, land in wife name) has bought some coastal farmland in Pingdong waited the 2years and now been told that rules have changed and he cannot build property on his land. I have been offered some farmland nearby and would like to pull the trigger but getting nervous about the development rights. As I understand it, the land my friend bought has been left idle negating it’s definition of farmland so he needs use the land as farmland for another 2years before building development can be considered.

Does this sound right?[/quote]

And keep it using as farmland after that. Rent a farmer!

Hi all,

what are the main things should I be aware of if buying a house on farmland?

Thanks so much.

1 Like