Buying landed property vs. apartments in multistory buildings

i rewrite.

this sounds nationals without household registration cannot buy agricultural land. they can. they just cannot build a house on it. Nationals whose househole registration is in a different administrative area cannot too.

foreigners can buy agricultural land with permission.

1 Like

In Italy we call this “thousandths of the property title”. Each owner of a flat in a bulding owns a certain percentage of the total land title, which is divide into 1000 units (don’t ask me why this, but it is what it is). You pay the management fees and council tax based on your thousandths owned.

A developer to tear down a bulding needs to get basically all the thousandths or most of them to maybe get a court or a gov injuction to expropriate the property from the owner unwilling to sell. The expropriation price is set by the court/gov and is immediately executable.

1 Like

Worth thinking about if buying an old condo unit. The government is going to continue getting a bit more strict on old buildings. Probably means lots are going to be torn down. Only an issue if you are planning a long term home, but worth considering as some buildings are just frightening in their construction.

I wonder how high rises work when they are destroyed. I assume everyone ownsa small slice of the land, but it obviously would be minuscule after being divided up compared to their units market price. Hows this work here?

I am always of the mind to avoid strata and related type situation. own the land under the building outright. Obviously not possible always, but it is always the goal.

1 Like

It’s a bit of a problem with so many old spots being.owned by multiple people. lots ghost houses around because of family arguments and people holding out. God, what a nightmare!

2 Likes

…Yeeepppppppp

Anyways, anyone can read about this the Land Act.

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=D0060001

It goes in excruciating details, the English is very decent and easy to understand. This is the law, better going to the source.

3 Likes

Agreed. Many laws here are laid out in English decently. I praise taiwan for that. But many laws are also somewhat vague. Land laws, thankfully, are probably amongst the most clear. But do be aware of reality too. The law is the law. Anyone with great evidence and money…and time… can eventually win.

But. Being right doesn’t mean you dont spend 2~10 years battling in court. Best to study up on all the aspects of a country in my opinion. It goes pear shape right quick in Taiwan. Better to prevent a hassle than to fix a problem.

Golden rules and all that.

1 Like

Yeah, I know, that’s the reality everywhere. However knowing what the actual rules are from thw source helps as a very good foundation. When an issue arises, you know better how to move.

Then the Taiwanese “twist” to the laws is evident. It’s all a matter of interpretation and it all depends on whom you are speaking too…

2 Likes

I really could not agree more!!

Too many people read the laws after they are in a situation. exact opposite of how things should be played. But then, it often has to do with trusting the wrong people. People ask a lawyer, realtor, government drone etc and they wonder why it wasnt that way after years of lawsuits. to that, know the law then you know how to move forward. That advice I think is golden and universal. absolute. know the rules the ones that control you made, then play them. bot the other way around :slight_smile:

Fully agree with you!

1 Like

I guess it’s the same in Taiwan. There have been cases that development couldn’t proceed, so the government made new rules. Of course some politicians had invested in developing those properties taking to long.

1 Like

Owners get some new units and (maybe) some cash.

you could check laws.

Urban Renewal Act

Statute for Expediting Reconstruction of Urban Unsafe and Old Buildings

Isn’t that what I posted?

‘Rights transfer: the landowners and legal building owners in a reconstruction section in a renewal unit, holders of other rights, the implementer or parties entering agreements with the implementer on provision of needed funds providing land, buildings, other rights or capital to participate in or implement an urban renewal business to be allocated land, buildings or royalties after the completion of the urban renewal business plan according to the percentages of their value of rights before the renewal implementation.’

some old buildings are with coverage ratios close to or exceeding the current construction restrictions. government allows them to be reconstructed with coverage ratios exceeding the current construction restrictions so that owners can get about equivalent units after they devide new buildings with developers.

Let’s say you own a first floor commercial space, would you get a first floor equivalent after reconstruction?

equivalent space of units

value would depends on location, condition of original building, agrement with developer etc.

They don’t talk about value? Because a first floor commercial space is more valuable than another equivalent space at a higher floor.

2 Likes

i guess there is no reason they dont talk. owners of valuable 1st floors may want to be compensated their loss during the costruction. developer should propose something owners would agree. or vise versa.

In theory.

So a case by case. Who eventually makes the decision on value?