Buying laptop/note pad :advice needed

I’m thinking of buying a laptop and since I no absolutely nothing about the subject, I thought I’d ask for advice. technical jargon will be a problem. I’m still at home in South Africa.

I’m missing the “niu ro mien” and the 700cc juices.

how about you ask, we answer.

I don’t evenknow the questions yet?

Basically, I need a laptop for work (efl) and for communication.

You need at least a 2.13GHz Dothan with 2MB L2 cache, 1GB DDR533 with CL 2.5-2-2-6, 180GB 7200rpm 8ms sATA HDD and an UWXGA 17" LCD with 350:1 CR and 150cd/m2.

OK, just kidding.

Well, it depends on what you want from that laptop.
What’s the most important thing: size? battery life? speed? weight? cost? reliability?

If you’re flying back to Taiwan via Singapore, you’d be better off stopping in Singapore and getting one there. I find the prices better in Singapore and you won’t have any problems getting one with English installed. While in Singapore check Funan The IT Mall and Sim Lin Square. I prefer Funan.

sg.ksdb.com/768063.page
forums.vr-zone.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

As Andre already said, you need to think about what you want and how you think you will use it. First question is, if you want to use it mainly at home or plan to carrying it around a lot?

As for the big manufacturer, notebooks just as other goods are normally sorted in series. Try to find out which series fits to you needs and budget (business, consumer, player, low budget, high end, etc…)

Check out the homepage of ONE big supplier first, such as Dell or another.
Pick up the series/model you like and which is within your budget.

Then check out other manufacturer for models with the same specification for comparison.

Then select two or three favorites and go to detail comparison. You can then still finetune some components such as CPU, memory, interfaces or harddisk.

Decide, find the best source, and buy.

This approach mostly works for me.

Which ones have international warranty and service? Meaning, wherever you go, they’ll fix?

I think only IBM/Lenovo, Toshiba, DELL and HP have this. Anyone know for certain?

TIA

Apple Macs have this too

Yep, if you got AppleCare, you are covered wherever you go. (Theoretically, and I have heard good things.)

Learnt my lesson. About three years ago, I settled for a good looking Asus. Just found out today that the motherboard died and have to pay NT$6000 for a replacement. It’s a 12 inch ultraportable and I don’t move it around that much.

If you plan to use your NB as a desktop replacement. Settle for a 15 inch screen with an internal combo drive.

My next laptop will be an IBM, or something you can throw around without any worries.

Get an Acer if you live in Taiwan, otherwise IBM Lenovo, HP, or Dell.

No more Asus for me. Nice looking but flimsy and very easy to scratch.

Just bought and Acer for 19999 at 3c. Good specs.

[quote=“whiskas2”]Learnt my lesson. About three years ago, I settled for a good looking Asus. Just found out today that the motherboard died and have to pay NT$6000 for a replacement. It’s a 12 inch ultraportable and I don’t move it around that much.

If you plan to use your NB as a desktop replacement. Settle for a 15 inch screen with an internal combo drive.

My next laptop will be an IBM, or something you can throw around without any worries.

Get an Acer if you live in Taiwan, otherwise IBM Lenovo, HP, or Dell.

No more Asus for me. Nice looking but flimsy and very easy to scratch.[/quote]

Just had the motherboard replaced on my (company’s) IBM ThinkPad X31. Less than one year old…
That said, I would still go for an IBM if I needed to buy one for myself.

You might consider a Mac. I know many many people who are uncomfortable with computers. After trying a Mac for a bit, they love it. You’ll avoid all the spyware and virus problems and more importantly computing will be fun.

There are numerous studies that show people get stuff done faster on Macs. Whatever cost you consider, think about your time.

I’ve used DOS and Windows for more than 20 years. I probably know Windows better than anyone here. And I am not going back.

What abt the SONY VAIO the FS series.

I am going to buy a new Sony notebook in the next few months but I’ve been wondering if it’ll only come with a Chinese version of Windows XP Pro, or whether they might give me the option of an English version. Has anyone had any experience with this?

What are “specs”?