Buying pre-packaged salads

I am wondering where I can find pre-packaged salad like this:
dole.com/Products/Products_D … ID=4&ID=67

I asked at Costco in Taipei and they don’t sell this; I’m guessing because they don’t stay fresh for very long and there is not enough demand for it.

I tried making my own salad, but I just can’t find the ingredients I’m looking for, particularly ‘Baby Spinach’.

The only salad vegetable I can find is lettuce.

I’ve managed to find bottled Italian dressing from those foreign supermarkets.

Who did you ask in Costco? :s I’ve seen it in the Xhijhr branch many times. More than one variety, too.
They also sometimes have two or three different kinds in Wellcome, and they had it in City Super last week.
Not the Dole brand I don’t think, but it was imported from California.
Bit expensive though, although I agree that sometimes you just really NEED a rocket, chicory and raddichio salad and bugger the cost.

I asked at the Costco Neihu branch. Unfortunately I live in Taichung, so I seldom am able to make it up to Taipei. I really wish a branch would open up in Taichung soon.

I don’t think salad stores well in the freezer. Maybe I could vacuum seal it in a bag then store it in the freezer. Anyone know if this would work? If I don’t get caught by Taiwan customs, I’ll fly back to US, buy a suitcase of salad back to Taiwan.

[quote=“sandman”]Who did you ask in Costco? :s I’ve seen it in the Xhijhr branch many times. More than one variety, too.
They also sometimes have two or three different kinds in Wellcome, and they had it in City Super last week.
Not the Dole brand I don’t think, but it was imported from California.
Bit expensive though, although I agree that sometimes you just really NEED a rocket, chicory and raddichio salad and bugger the cost.[/quote]

You can’t freeze salad leaves – when they thaw, you’ll be left with nothing but a bowl of green slime.

Jason’s sell this type of thing, and have a fair variety!

Is there a “Jason’s” in Taichung? Is it a chain store? Do you by any chance have a phone number or address?

Thanks

The spinnach from the local wet markets is very fresh and makes a nice salad. If you’re just looking for inexpensive lettuce, I’ve found that Da Lu Mei makes a decent salad as well.

The costco stuff is good and the lifespan will vary upon what condition it was shipped and packed in. I’ve gotten some that lasted 1-2 days only. I’ve also gotten some that lasted a week.

Don’t buy bottled dressing - getting a bottle of decent olive oil, mustard and balsamic vinegar is easy these days for a nice dressing. If you want that je ne sais quo just add an anchovy.

Salad greens are very easy and inexpensive to grow yourself, as well as herbs and other things. They don’t take a lot of space, and as long as you keep eating them, they grow back quickly.

If it ever stops raining, I’m going to start my garden again. There’s nothing like a fresh green salad with your dinner, lunch, or breakfast.

[quote=“greglee”]Is there a “Jason’s” in Taichung?[/quote]No.

I think Finga’s at 61, Zhongming Sth Rd (忠明南路)(tel. 04 2327 7750) may have some prepackaged salads. Also, most of the supermarkets and hypermarkets have salads, though they may not be the kind you’re looking for. Lots of corn and thousand-island dressing.

Not sure where else.

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]Salad greens are very easy and inexpensive to grow yourself, as well as herbs and other things. They don’t take a lot of space, and as long as you keep eating them, they grow back quickly.

If it ever stops raining, I’m going to start my garden again. There’s nothing like a fresh green salad with your dinner, lunch, or breakfast.[/quote]

I’ve grown salad greens of various sorts with mixed success - the biggest issues I’ve had are too much rain and feral cats that ate it - wierd.