Buying shaving equipment in Taiwan?

Do you just use any bowl or even a rice bowl to mix the cream or did you buy one?

Are you asking me?

@Rocket, Yes. The reply button seems to be malfunctioning. It used to list who you were replying to. Now it does not. Guess I will need to use the @ symbol from now on.

Yeah, I just use a big mug I got at the market

For me there is enough of a positive difference to my pocketbook and peace of mind. Roll back the time machine to 2012, and I was using Gillette Mach 5, or whatever the 5-blade, US$4/blade monstrosity is known by.

The Gillettes lasted for at least a two dozen good shaves. Maybe more; I think the biggest reason I chucked one was because the lube strip was gone (turned white), not because the blades were dull. I hated spending $4 on a razor blade. I don’t care how good the shave is. Buying a pack of those Gillettes always makes me feel like I’m buying a used car off a gravel lot from a guy driving a brand new Benz. No amount of Vaseline anywhere helps.

I shave my head, neck, and face every other day. I can use a DE blade to shave all but the back of my head. Can’t see the back of my head, which is important, but I also have a small pea-size protuberance on the back of my skull that I have never learned to shave around (with a DE blade). I mean, I can do it but there will be blood.

Did some searching and found a guy called Mantic, who is basically an evangelist for double-edged shaving. Seemed to be an ok guy. Up front costs for DE shaving are about the same as buying 16 Gillette blade-ladders (or whatever they’re called). I took the leap.

Long story shorter, I still buy the Gillette 5 thing. It’s a good razor and I use if for the back of my head. The blade itself is flexible enough that the bump on ny skull is not an issue. If I’m in a hurry it also works good on my adam’s apple. One blade lasts 2 months (every other day). I use a good soap (see Mantic) and a good brush.

One thing you learn is that everybody’s beard is different. Weird blade brands that seem to be about a hundred years old may work really good for you. Big Ben, Treat, Lord, Shark, Voskhod, 7 O’Clock, Derby, and Feather are some popular names. I was surprised that Lord Platinum work very well for me.

To give you an idea of the savings, one Voskhod blade lasts 4-6 shaves for me. I bought them for US$9.99 per 100. For me, that one thin dime that gets me through almost 2 weeks of shaving my face (blade cost only). Way better than the Gillette 5-headed beast.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that the shave itself is a lot better. Closer to the skin, no ingrown hairs, and my face soaks up the stuff in the soaps. Witch hazel is cheap in the US, and it’s the best aftershave for me. Again, see Mantic.

Actually, though, if you’re sold on your Mach 3’s, just changing to a good soap and a cheap brush may be enough of an improvement for you. There is a learning curve with double-edged razor systems.

2 Likes

@bojack thanks for the insightful reply. A lot of useful information.

When the blades get dull, I sharpen them using an old pair of jeans, a life hack I picked up from youtube. The razor is good for another week or so.

Guess I’m going to hell for using disposable plastic, but these things work like a charm.

IMAG0729

Almost any bowl will work fine for mixing up the lather. I use a scuttle, which I appreciate in the winter for keeping the lather warm. Alternatively, use a bowl that floats and let it sit in the warm water in the sink while you’re shaving. Should accomplish the same thing of keeping the lather warm.

If you want an ultra-close shave (and assuming you’re experienced enough not to scrape off your face) you could try an open-comb razor (mine is closed-comb). Also, play around with different blades. As already mentioned, Feather blades will get you a closer shave than Shapu.

Picture this: a woman wants to give you the shave of your life. She wraps a hot towel around your face, preps the foam, sits on your lap ready to take action… and grabs one of those plastic things.

Kind of ruins the mood if you ask me.

You had me at “preps the foam, sits on your lap ready to take action.” :wink:

After that, it’s all gravy…

:wall:

1 Like

Just pray she’s not the Sweeney Todd type of gal.

images-1

Hopefully not served with a meat pie.

images-2

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I left the part about the razor out. Just the foam, thank you.

Mrs. Lovett can serve me pie any time though…mystery meat or not.

1 Like

Straight razors are interesting, but certainly not necessary. They are interesting for people who like knives & steel in general. The razors have different steels, shapes, & grinds, all of which yield a different feel on the skin. They are also interesting for people who are interested in geology. The different natural stones used for sharpening straight razors are cool to play with and figure out which combination of stones yields what results.

Earlier this evening I completed the 36th shave by a single Feather DE blade (36!). As I’ve said before I shave every other day, and this blade is used for my face and neck only.

This particular Feather DE blade cost me US$0.225. One nick over the top of my left cheek when brand new, two unrelated on the sharpest angle of my chin since. My face is still as smooth as a baby’s butt as I write this, and there is zero irritation.

I haven’t changed it out; there is no need yet. I’m flabbergasted that it’s lasted this long, is all. It will last until #37 at least.

I’m just amazed that it’s lasted since June - most of the summer here - and I have no reason to throw it away, not yet. SMH

1 Like

How does it work with pubic hair?

Most likely it would cut them, but I must admit I can’t verify.

1 Like