Buying US stocks through a Taiwan-based broker

Any more info about this Brian? Are they charging you fees per month and if so how much?

I donā€™t even know how much I will be charged. Iā€™ve invested a fair amount of money in it. You can choose a bank account to wire money to in Asia such as HK and also Australia and other places. Everything works very well trading through mobile and regular trading fees are super low. Send them your passport details, address , phone number etc and itā€™s setup pretty quickly. Then when itā€™s approved you wire them the money and start trading. Fortunately I can use international bank accounts that I have linked with my Taiwan account to wire money so itā€™s pretty cheap and easy to do.

1 Like

I can see a description of their fees here (3rd party)

It seems for IBKR lite account with atleast USD $2000 and US stocks, fees are low. Medium or high for others.

1 Like

Thanks, thatā€™s a good breakdown . Anyway I highly recommend them especially after the COMPLETE RIP OFF AND TIME WASTING that are Taiwan stockbrokers .

1 Like

lol. you sound as if you gave your cash to some gangsters from Taichung are not the outstanding professional world-class bank executives here.

1 Like

After finding out that I pay 25 USD minimum EACH TIME I trade US stocks, and that they even take a commission from my dividends ā€¦Yeah gangsters.

1 Like

Do you have a referral code for IB? We both could benefit

I am glad to hear this. I have recommended IB for years to people in Taiwan for trading, but no one seemed to listen - it is great that you have transferred over and that you are enjoying it overall.

I am curious about something though - in relation to taxes, do you personally have to set up the account in relation to your tax residency and do they supply tax documents in relation to it(in your case, Taiwan)? I always wondered how this worked for someone in Taiwan.

And if it all falls to you, I suppose you should be mindful of dividend payments from your holdings (which you do have to pay tax on) in relation to your tax return - or is this considered ā€œout of country incomeā€, I always wondered about that. It must be nice to not worry about capital gains tax though!

1 Like

They say theyā€™ll approve funded account first :slight_smile:

On the funding page, they say: ā€œWe do not accept physical currency (cash) deposits. We will charge a special handling fee of 1% of the deposit amount (the minimum fee is USD 50) and apply a seven-day hold period to any physical currency deposits.ā€

So are they charging $50 USD for every wire transfer we make?

I only have a bank account in Taiwan and India. So options like transferring by ACH or Bank login is not possible (US only)

How much did you transfer for the initial verification? And how? goto the bank here? I canā€™t find online wire transfer in my bankā€™s online interface (Standard Chartered).

From what I understand, if youā€™re staying here > 183 days, youā€™re a tax resident. Since Taiwan doesnā€™t have capital gains tax, any income generated would be taxed as regular income.

But Iā€™m curious as to what tax statement do we show? Does IB provide Taiwan compliant tax withholding statement every year?

No, only for physical deposits. Not for wire transfers.

You have to go to SC and register the details of the account you want to transfer to. Then you should be able to transfer online, even internationally.

Ok so I finally got the account setup and made my first outgoing wire transfer; which, due to the imbeciles at the bank, took 3 tries until they got it right. I mean how hard is it to enter the beneficiary address when, in the printed instructions from IB, it says ā€œbeneficiary addressā€! :grimacing:

But yes the banks are gangsters. My bank itself charged only NT 350, but from the US $100 I transferred, only $77 reached there.

Anyways, made my first stock purchase ever with GME :slight_smile:

Learnt about margin accounts, fractional stock, paper vs live trade, credit swaps.

Only need to make some money now ā€¦

1 Like

Huh, interesting. I originally thought that no capital gains tax = no tax. Guess thatā€™s not true (Iā€™ve never had any investment/brokerage accounts in Taiwan).

If your account is with IB, why would you report this to the Taiwan government? Iā€™m pretty sure that IB doesnā€™t provide your account info, capital gain info to the Taiwan government (but I guess you could ask them to verify). I never reported any of my investment gains in my US based accounts to the Taiwan governmentā€¦ of course, I reported to the US government because IB, Fidelity, etc will do so

Well thereā€™s no choice. Any legal financial entity will ask for your tax id and report. Whether they send you a copy of it depends on them.

IB states that you need to fill in the Taiwan tax ID ( same as ARC) and they do report. Whether Taiwan cares is another matter if you donā€™t earn much.

Interestingā€¦ guess they already had my US SSN and report to the US gov so never asked for my Taiwan tax ID (even though I think I used a Taiwan address)

The fees donā€™t differ that much whether you send $100 or $10000. You wonā€™t be charged 23% in the latter case, more like 0.23% to 0.30%.

1 Like

Ya I just wanted to make a test transfer first. I wasnā€™t sure if these guys would send it to the right account or not.

Letā€™s see how much they charge next time I transfer $5000.

Canā€™t escape tax my friend. Always always always stay on the right side of the tax laws. They will come after you.

Some info here:

Wait what? Is this a flat fee for wire transfers? I have an account with SC and planning to do the same with TD Ameritradeā€¦