By all means translate things into English, but

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“TomHill”]Is it more stupid to put out a badly worded sign, or to live in a place where you feel that its inhabitants are idiots and their behaviours are idiotic?

Ooh, get me. :p[/quote]

But I need the job.[/quote]

Mo ichido wakarimasen.

I’m sorry. The chief has already established that I don’t speak Spanish, no?

TomHill, moving forward is the key. I doubt I’ll ever move to Taiwan again because there’s no work for me there, but I sure as shit won’t stay in suburban England, either. Much as I dislike the place, it’s only wallpaper and letting external things bug you is not adult.

Councils and governments the world over are necessarily peopled by idiots. What sort of blank applies for a steady job with the government? Taiwanese groups make up retarded Engrish slogans for no good reason, my local council seem bent on keeping Oxford as filthy and gridlocked as possible.

It doesn’t really matter much. You shouldn’t really criticise where people are on their ‘journey’. Has anyone in the history of the universe ever said; actually I AM living a crap life! Thanks for pointing it out!

[quote=“TomHill”][quote=“irishstu”][quote=“TomHill”]Is it more stupid to put out a badly worded sign, or to live in a place where you feel that its inhabitants are idiots and their behaviours are idiotic?

I don’t believe that Taiwan’s “inhabitants are idiots and their behaviours are idiotic”, if that’s what you’re implying. However I do think that badly-worded English slogans make fools of the people who write them. I would never consider writing a slogan in ANY language other than my own without getting a native to check it.[/quote]

I am not suggesting you think that.
Given that badly worded signs have been around for years you are going to have to draw a conclusion beyond those already offered. I really think that they just don’t give a monkeys toss if the English is correct or not. It doesn’t matter to them one bit. Nothing to do with face, or being lazy. It just is of little importance to them. And honestly, given the lack of respect most foreigners display towards the Taiwanese, who the hell could they trust and who the hell could blame them? I bet given the right foreign person that slogan could easily have appeared as ‘Shove it up your bike.’ Or ‘Bike = Bumfun in Taipei,’ with a picture of a bum on a bike.

Given that I didn’t enjoy Taiwan I left. I find it hard, not in this thread per se, to keep reading the Taiwan trashing that goes on here on a daily basis. Y’all seem to have very little love left for your adoptive home.[/quote]

Wow. So my criticism of a badly-worded slogan means I should leave Taiwan? I assume you haven’t criticised anything in the UK since you moved back then.

The MRT system had some program for people to notify them of incorrect English in any of their signs. I forgot what the incentive was, but they stopped it for some reason. Government employees are encouraged to study English and pass examinations to enhance their advancement opportunities. But for some reason, they don’t like to hire foreigners to proofread their stuff.

[quote=“TomHill”][quote=“irishstu”][quote=“TomHill”]Is it more stupid to put out a badly worded sign, or to live in a place where you feel that its inhabitants are idiots and their behaviours are idiotic?

I don’t believe that Taiwan’s “inhabitants are idiots and their behaviours are idiotic”, if that’s what you’re implying. However I do think that badly-worded English slogans make fools of the people who write them. I would never consider writing a slogan in ANY language other than my own without getting a native to check it.[/quote]

I am not suggesting you think that.
Given that badly worded signs have been around for years you are going to have to draw a conclusion beyond those already offered. I really think that they just don’t give a monkeys toss if the English is correct or not. It doesn’t matter to them one bit. Nothing to do with face, or being lazy. It just is of little importance to them. And honestly, given the lack of respect most foreigners display towards the Taiwanese, who the hell could they trust and who the hell could blame them? I bet given the right foreign person that slogan could easily have appeared as ‘Shove it up your bike.’ Or ‘Bike = Bumfun in Taipei,’ with a picture of a bum on a bike.

Given that I didn’t enjoy Taiwan I left. I find it hard, not in this thread per se, to keep reading the Taiwan trashing that goes on here on a daily basis. Y’all seem to have very little love left for your adoptive home.[/quote]

Dear boy,
Your words would cut one to the quick, were one not aware what a colossal you really are.
And I mean that in the best way possible :lovestruck: .
We got a little pool going on how many tins of The Beater you’ve got in you right now.
We miss you too, von Stroheim, it just ain’t the same wivvout yiz…

Stu, again, NOT aimed at you, but generally at the pointless Taiwan bashing that goes on.
To be honest though, considering the type of reply you are likely to get, your thread could be retitled: The Taiwanese are so dumb, lets have another bash at something else they aren’t getting right.

There is a general tone around the site now that it is open season on the Taiwanese. I am trying to mend/ improve my thinking about Taiwan and the Taiwanese, and this site has been NO HELP whatsoever. Its all one big critical bash bash bash. I started a thread to enquire about the longer term benefits of Taiwan and met with suggestions that I was a dumbfuck troll. So you tell me?

The rules say that if you can find 10 threads about a topic then it deserves its own forum. The ‘Taiwan, meh?’ forum would just be massive.

It is 8:23am, mostly got the ‘going to work in the rain soon,’ blues.

But that’s what people do. The staffroom bitching, the expat bitching, the feedback forum bitching. Taiwan’s great, but it’s also a horrible shithole. A little subtley, Tommers! Things have many side. Have double edge sword and also cloud have silver lining.

[quote=“TomHill”]
It is 8:23am, mostly got the ‘going to work in the rain soon,’ blues.[/quote]

I wouldn’t worry about it, bro.
You’re so far up your own hole today you don’t stand a chance of getting wet…

Correcto. It’s human nature to moan (at least for people from the British Isles). If I were in the UK right now (or anywhere else for that matter), you could be sure I would be moaning about something over there. This is a forum mostly frequented by people living in Taiwan, so you can be sure most of our complaints will be about all things Taiwanese. It doesn’t mean Taiwan is shiter than other places, just that that’s where we’re currently getting our complaint fuel from.

It is the eternal resistance to having your pride knocked that attracts me to you guys. That and your verbosity. And your alcohol tolerance.

Ok, so are there any positive websites about Taiwan on the web, cos I am trying to get a more positive picture of the place?

[quote=“TomHill”]It is the eternal resistance to having your pride knocked that attracts me to you guys. That and your verbosity. And your alcohol tolerance.

Ok, so are there any positive websites about Taiwan on the web, cos I am trying to get a more positive picture of the place?[/quote]

Fun Taiwan!
has a website, has it not?

[quote=“TomHill”]Given that I didn’t enjoy Taiwan I left. I find it hard, not in this thread per se, to keep reading the Taiwan trashing that goes on here on a daily basis. Y’all seem to have very little love left for your adoptive home.[/quote]You just don’t love IrishStu enough.

The English isn’t there to be read by English speakers, it’s there to balance out the density of the Chinese typeface and give it some international flavour. Same as Chinese characters in Western stuff. It doesn’t matter what it says.

DONE! Only, you have to change the chief’s one for Jojo and the wean. And then persuade her to make the move. God, I’d be outta here so fucking fast you’d be hard pressed to even see my feets move!

It’s a command for christ’s sake. Fun the city! Fun the city! It makes perfect sense. The problem with you foreigners is that your minds are inflexible and rigid. You need to learn how to relax and embrace change because otherwise you’ll give yourselves hemorrhoids.

Precisely. It’s also intended to be read and easily understood by Taiwanese people. It’s not for us, and it doesn’t matter what we think although our tolerant hosts will probably be too laid back to point that out to.

Will Engrish ever stop being funny? I think not:

Precisely. It’s also intended to be read and easily understood by Taiwanese people. It’s not for us, and it doesn’t matter what we think although our tolerant hosts will probably be too laid back to point that out to.[/quote]
Its a cunning ruse to get Taiwanese ads featured on Engrish.com. Those canny marketing dudes know there’s no such thing as bad publicity. “So WHAT if the whole world is laughing at us? At least it means they’ve HEARD of us!”

[quote=“petrarch1603”]Will Engrish ever stop being funny? I think not:

[/quote]

That’s not from Taiwan, shurely?

[quote=“Buttercup”]
That’s not from Taiwan, shurely?[/quote]
Simplified characters = big ugly neighbor