Bye Bye Living Mall

Farewell Living Mal. Gf and I frequented it a lot because of the not so packed movie theater because it’s close to home and…that’s about it. My friends from Banqiao actually make the trip because of the easy access via Civic Blvd and the free parking.

In it’s early days, I would go out of my way to walk around there because it was just so much more comfortable with the smaller crowds. Friends would hate meeting me there because there was no MRT.

Rumor has it they’re going to build something like the Nangang Software Park building there.

Used to go there 10~15 years ago with my ex for the occasional movie…Never really liked that place due to it being hard to access by Public transport and hard to find parking lots nearby.

Office space for the AI revolution in Taiwan. Maybe some square metrage for fintech, last year’s buzzword.

1 Like

I saw what you did there.

Guy

1 Like

There was free parking (scooter and car) inside the mall. That was always a plus for a lot of my friends to come out.

I actually used the scooter parking when I first bought my Gogoro. Left it there for a few weeks on end bc of the rainy weather and not a single complaint. So many yellow/red plates parked there too.

2 Likes

Glad someone caught it. :wink:

1 Like

when i first arrived here 5 years ago i was staying in a place right next to it. so i was in there a lot and yea the whole place just felt weird. no shoppers and the design was just crap.
theres a ball, some shops are inside the ball, some outside. theres a lot of empty space in the middle. its hard to get around.

I really don’t know why they closed. Are they going to tear the building down now?

1. Losing money hand over fist.
  2. Yes.

These and other questions are answered in the article linked in the first post.

You’re welcome.

Guy

3 Likes

Didn’t someone die inside during construction due to flooding or typhoon?

I always like the VIP Theater with all-you-can-eat popcorn.

but the building designs just odd and uncomfortable

1 Like

Adventurous one, eh?

Went to a nightclub there about six years ago due to a last minute recommendation. Had to take a cab and wondered where the hell we were going. It took a while but was surprisingly very busy. Getting home was just as annoying. Never went back. Two things that Taipei has an abundance of are conveniently located nightclubs and shopping malls. Living Mall was anything but convenient.

China Pa live music entertainment bar has been residing on top floor for few years.

Wonder if they will move again or shut down.

Place was bumpin’ every Friday and Saturday until it closed down a few years ago. Honestly, most people that are clubbing, won’t really complain about a taxi ride, but I always wondered why club goers would choose Living Mall over Xinyi. Different crowd? Convenience?

Looking forward to what will take its place.

Cos like, Taipei ain’t just Xinyi, like :sunglasses:.
Those clubs were there going back to the 2000s.

Never been in that mall.

Instead of tearing it down, they should turn it into condos. It would be cool living inside a giant globe.

3 Likes

I thought it was a really cool building compared to the bland shite that populates our cities. Somebody had a vision. It didn’t make money , wasn’t that popular, but it was different for sure.

My kids wanted to go there this weekend and now I have to tell them it’s gone.
:disappointed_relieved::no_mouth:

2 Likes

I liked the Living Mall, cool place. A bit complicated to navigate though at first, elevators only go to certain floors and the escalators are spread out.

12 floors above ground and 8 floors below, it’s a huge mall.

I’ve usually parked my scooter there.

Free underground parking with a security guard also.

Noticed the usual scooters that parked there, people basically had their own unofficial spot lol.

Looks like those days are over now though, need to find a new location.

:frowning:

The car parking there was actually pretty expensive unless you spent enough in the mall to cover it.

The Metroasis in there was quite good as there were so few customers you could browse at leisure and the staff were cool.

Was a nice place to visit in the first few years simply because there were few people there. Enormous amount of wasted space inside though and if it was even slightly busy waiting for the elevators was a pain unless you knew where the “secret” ones were!