BYOB: Bring your own bags

That is just a general, generic list that is not specific to any country or city. Some places, including Taiwan, may have the technology and capability to re-use or recycle some of those things on the list.

Got your point.

And if not, itā€™s worth investing in such technologies/capabilities more than fighting against the usage of plastic bags. Thatā€™s my point.

Maybe some of those factories may be able to upgrade their equipment in order to make biodegradable plastic bags.

Wonā€™t be surprised if this becomes bring your own bomb

Today, stopped to pick up bottled water for the weeā€¦ NT$5 for a plastic shopping bag!!! I had to buy it to carry my water.

They have changed my lazy habit of not bringing my own bags.

Today I realized why those cup carrying things are so popular. Carrying a large hot coffee from store to home with Bobby, two shopping bags and an umbrella was quite a hassle.

When you buy a couple drinks from City Cafe at 7-11, will they still offer the small bags for free? Makes scooter riding while hauling those drinks so much easier.

I actually have a drink bag stowed away in my seat compartment. I used to forget that itā€™s there, but now that I donā€™t get bags for my drinks, will probably be using it much more often now.

The new law is definitely in full swing. I went to 50嵐 yesterday for a drink and got asked if I wanted to buy a bag after I ordered my drink.

I think they focus on plastic bags because they tend to get thrown around thoughtlessly. Itā€™s not so bad in Taiwan, where people are fairly responsible, but in most countries thereā€™s a confetti of the wretched things on every roadside and tree branch.

Also, itā€™s a fairly simple way of getting people used to the idea that civilisation wonā€™t crumble around our ears if we stop using plastic for absolutely everything. Next up: food packaging ā€¦ hopefully.

I ALWAYS bring bags, but yesterday I got caught with too much stuff at PX Mart, and they didnā€™t have any empty boxes, so I had to buy a second one.
The new ones, interestingly, are rated compliant with Taipei City regs, so when youā€™ve finished using them for groceries, you can legally use them for garbage.
Which is pretty cool

2 Likes

I saw those yesterday! I thought they were the bags that were compliant to Taipei City garbage bags, but not entirely sure if it was some kind of promotion of new bags or what.

Wonder what happens to the stock of old bags they had sitting around?

The NT$5 bag I had to buy while shopping is white (not blue), and has a 3D hologram sticker near the bottom.

20180108_140518

20180108_140523

I wonder how long before the black market in bags will pop up.

ā€œPsst, this bag at the store costs NT$5, but I can get them to you for NT$3.ā€

Not sure if that will happen sinceā€¦Taipei was already using government regulated bags for a few yearsā€¦never heard of anyone or anywhere selling them discounted.

Where thereā€™s money to be madeā€¦Ma pushes for crackdown on counterfeit trash bags - Taipei Times

What the *#@& now thats funny.