Cabinet bill aims to attract foreign professionals

The way by which the Austrians achieve next to zero homelessness would scare a person of your political leanings.

Every Taiwanese person I’ve run into has been in the US 20 years+.

Or parents have been here 20+ years.

But all this time you said you were 4th world! You lied to us?! :astonished: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also quite a few Africans.

It’s a good idea to attract people of all stripes to come to Taiwan to put, perhaps, their untapped energy into creating something new. Instead of constantly chasing everyone’s tail to make the same box for cheaper, an influx of foreign educated professionals would give the youngins some spark to create, I hope. Incentivize innovation, get industry involved though philanthropy. Terry Guo is the richest fella in the country(maybe). Tell him we’ll put statues of him up all over the island next to Confuseus and SYS. Fame and Fortune are a huge motivator here, innit? Also, help those kids who’ve gone overseas save face by coming back for prestige instead mom’s cooking. There’s gotta be thousands of kids wishing they could come back without their tails betwixt their legs. There is also, I think, a lot of untapped potential in the foreign born Taiwanese who have the same desire to come over here but are shut out of the English school business for whatever reason. They’d be an excellent resource to bridge between newcomers and their hosts.

Also actually, the Baltic Sea is one of the most polluted seas in the world. It is often you cannot/dont want to go and swim because its too dirty.

I was wondering why you hadn’t responded to my inquiries, but then I noticed that a string of posts had been removed (and rightly so).

So leaving aside your favorite paradox, could you please explain to us what’s so frightening about Austria’s policy on homelessness?

Btw for reference:

These numbers are questionable, of course. There are different definitions of homelessness and different methods of estimating the population. (For example the method used by the HK govt was criticized some years ago for excluding anyone who wasn’t on the same spot on the same street for X days in a row, or something.)

I think its better to bring overseas taiwanese compatriot than othera coz what the use of being a taiwanese and holding a taiwan passport and no opportunities and everything what do you think

Problem is that salaries, incentives, environment, career prospects, etc. are not attractive. Taiwanese can do better abroad if they have the skills.

3 Likes

Yep my wife is sharing some salary offers with me and they are just terrible to be honest. My family will leave because of this. Literally the only thing that is keeping us here is my current setup with the low tax payments . There’s no point getting underpaid when you can do much better overseas. I’m talking about my kids in particular too, I could not stand to see them graduate in this low paid environment .

1 Like

The thing holding me back for instance is safety. Taiwan can’t be beaten in that aspect, plus medical care and cost of living.

I was talking to a Singaporean friend. He loves Taiwan and would move at the speed of sneeze but the salaries are undoable.

I would like Singaporean salaries but have you seen their rents? Medical fees? Food cost?

2 Likes

And don’t forget the weather–brutal heat and humidity all year-round–and rude people.

2 Likes

That is the reason I left over a decade ago. Stepkids were in middle school. Seeing them graduate from a Western uni and enter a North American job market cannot be undervalued.

I need to get back to the home country sooner or later or else an EU country for the free uni fees for the kids. They need five years residency. Also the wife would do a lot better in theory and she could get a passport in five years (in direct contrast to the way the Taiwan ROC govt treat me). Actually I’m doing very well in Taiwan but it’s kind of an anomaly and I’m kinda sick of bearing all the financial load.
As soon as the gig goes it’s Iike…What else is out there and what’s the future ? You can only swim against the tide for so long.
These cabinet bills to attract foreign professionals may not achieve much if they can’t hang onto my family. One of the problems is I don’t have the asset base that lots of Taiwanese have, so their families can accept these low earnings cos they are already rich.
But our family need to make money the old fashioned way…by working for it not by inheriting it and living in Grandads free apt and living off the parents generous civil service pensions.

The low earnings and lack of opps is going to be a problem…No it is a problem. Taiwan is a great great place if you already have your pension pot, your house bought and paid for . Easy street. Look at all the hiking shops everywhere. That’s for all the retirees who have lots of money and time to spare. Every street has one of those hiking shops.

7 Likes

And the shops are government subsidized.

Singaporeans, Malay, and Australian Chinese are some of the biggest communist brown nosers. It’s really annoying. Funny thing is they think they’re better than their mainland cousins, but still preach how the CCP is so amazing. These Chinese people are some of the most insecure about their ethnicity I’ve ever met.

It’s strange to me that people don’t get your race and ethnic background doesn’t bind you to anyone else. But I suppose my idea that I don’t owe anything to all Chinese people foreign to them.

5 Likes

I’ve found working in taiwan, everything sucks unless you have ownership in a company. Upper management gets shit, maybe a bit more than 100k. Even executives get so little compared to the rest of the world. The only people making real money is stakeholders in a company.

My dad is returning to the work force. He was a CEO and co founder of a company that competed against the likes of Honhai/Foxconn and repeated top 100 company in Taiwan for many years. He is just over 50 and he’s looking at executive jobs and can’t accept that ridiculous low salary in Taiwan. Especially since those hours are going to brutal. So he will start his own company again with some people.

It’s like that with Taiwan.

2 Likes

You say that like it’s a bad thing! :sunglasses:

Reviving this thread to say: it’s not just yours, as this superb report by Steven Crook in today’s Taipei Times explains:

Part 2 of this story will appear tomorrow.

Guy

3 Likes

The brilliant @StevenCrook continues his reporting on some of the family challenges facing long-term foreign residents of Taiwan. From today’s Taipei Times, here is part two of this valuable series:

Guy

3 Likes