Cable TV and Internet hook-up?

I am moving into Taipei in mid-may, I want to take an apartment in the Tien Mu area (Or is this area no good?)

I have two boys (Aged 6 & 5) both speak Chinese and English , although there Chinese is not as good as it was.

I want the transition from life in UK to Taiwan to be as pain free as possible for them, therefore

1. Can I get Cable TV everywhere, do they have kids channels (Bi-lingual or English)

2. Can I get BBC news (PLease say yes)

3. I want to get ADSL, I am a tec , so I know the deal with range and bandwidth, whats the Taipai area coverage like, have all the exchanges been upgraded already, do they have the long line technology (E.g upto 5km from the exchange)

4. Should I bring my P.C (I built it myself, and it’s my baby) , or should I just dump it and get a newer sleeker oriental model?

5. is GPRS available for laptop internet connections?

6. I mean this is Taiwan, surely I’m going to go mad for all the gadgets and my hard earned expat salary is going to be frittered away on the next new thing ?

Ok sorry i dont know everything, im not god today i got the sack after i made a kid cry… but here goes:

1. Can I get Cable TV everywhere, do they have kids channels (Bi-lingual or English)

The main movie channels , 4 or 5 of them i think are all in english with chinese subtitles. Kids channels? Not thave Ive seen sorry, again im not a cable fan but from memory i dont think so. there’s about 100 + cable channels, most from memory are in chinese/taiwanese, only a few really in pure english, someone please tell me im wrong coz its been ages since i watched cable.

1. Can I get BBC news (PLease say yes)

No idea sorry

1. I want to get ADSL, I am a tec , so I know the deal with range and bandwidth, whats the Taipai area coverage like, have all the exchanges been upgraded already, do they have the long line technology (E.g upto 5km from the exchange)

Err good question, but if ur living in Tien Mu shouldnt be a problem. However Hi Net, the best ADSL company to join imho is really pushing ADSL atm. I really think it wont be a problem living in Tien Mu, its a classy area You’ll have to wait about 1 week to get it hooked up, free fone line installation and setup as well

1. Should I bring my P.C (I built it myself, and it’s my baby) , or should I just dump it and get a newer sleeker oriental model?

Oriental model? Whats that ? Well i ditched my stuff and got better comp parts when i arrived. Or just bring the bits you love the most. Stuff here is cheap, Taipei is a heaven for comp parts, go to Guang Hua and oh baby… sorry im drooling.

1. is GPRS available for laptop internet connections?

No idea, ill let a smart person answer that.

1. I mean this is Taiwan, surely I’m going to go mad for all the gadgets and my hard earned expat salary is going to be frittered away on the next new thing ?

Well personally Taiwan doesnt have that many gadgets, for me anyway. I was very shocked and almost let down at the lack of high tech stuff, I wrongly thought Taiwan would be “similar” to Japan high tech wise. Apart from computer related stuff I dont think you’ll have many gadgets, altho im sure you’ll proove me wrong.

As for your other questions mainly cable and news etc, lots of ppl will tell you about that coz sorry i am really hazy on cable tv, after i got my adsl no need for cable anymore Suck down those vcds baby. 881

Yeah some cable companies offer BBC. The only English cartoons you’ll find are the cartoon movies occassionally on HBO. No HeMan and the Masters of the Universe or Shera Princess Warrior in english here mate. Your whipper snappers can watch the Chinese catoons though, Scooby Dooby Doo’s got a wicked Mandarin accent.

I can’t Wait, Just the idea of Scooby doo in madanrin has me giggling.

Hey there is tons of kids programming in Taiwan, at least on my cable package. We’ve got at least three cartoon channels, though they are all in Chinese. Cartoon Network though plays almost all western cartoons though with Chinsese dubbing. I use them to practise listening comprehension. It works well except when Tom and Jerry come on.

We also get the Disney channel and that is in English most of the time. There are a few bilingual kids programs. That is programs that try to teach kids English, though the majority of time the people are speaking Chinese.

My favorite kids program is a call-in show. They have a cat and mouse puppet as the call in hosts. The cat sits behind a desk and the mouse pops out of a hole in the wall. They have phones on the desk, like any other call in show, and real children call in to talk about their lives to the puppet hosts. I don’t know if this is a copy of programming in other countries but I just die with laughter every time that cat says, “Okay, okay, bye, bye. Bye, bye,” when the child hangs up.

1. You can get cable TV just about anywhere. That’s not an issue. There are a ton of English movie channels that have Chinese subtitles. There are a lot of localized cable channels, like Discovery Channel, Cartoon Network, etc. that are dubbed in Chinese. I don’t know about the BBC, but they have CNN (without subtitles or dubbing).

2. ADSL is vitually everywhere. You’d have to live in a pretty weird area not to have it. I think they advertise up to 6KM from the exchange. Several cable companies also offer cable-based internet access.

3. Bring your PC if it suits you. I have. A computer is a computer. When you get here, you have all the options in the world to find anything you want in very dense computer markets, both systems and individual components.

4. I’ve seen billboards for GPRS over the past two years. I guess it depends on what cell phone company you go with. There are plenty of competitors to choose from.

5. “The next new thing” is usually the latest cell phone or scooter. Other than that, Tawian is behind in other kinds of technology and fashion. Go to Japan if you want to go broke by being technologically cool.

one question:

black boxes?

Which ones ?