Cable TV Programmes for 2005

Hi,

I was looking through the Channel List for the 2005 Programmes in the Chinese Liberty Times and noticed there was no Star Channel or CNN for 2005.

Was that list incomplete or are we going to have to do without ,Any Info will be appreciated ??

Thanks.
Happy 2005 Everyone.

No help to you, but just for information, I flipped on the TV this morning here in Ilan (Yilan) and discovered Union Cable reorganized the line up. We now have Asia Travel and we lost CNN. I do believe that Union Cable is losing this subscriber quickly.

OOC

Try CNN on channel 5, was on 97 for me.

Yeah, rescan your channel list and it’ll pop back up. It’s (CNN) on 5 for me too here in Yonghe. Not sure which Star you’re talking about, but I still have Star Movies and never had Star World.

Hi,

Thanks , I found it on 5 as well,and the Star Channels.

It is really unfortunate that they dont show Star World here.We could do with some good Sitcoms!!!

Our remote is in Chinese - we can’t read it, so how can we rescan the channels on our TV?
Miss CNN!
Happy New Year!
Pix

Ah, one more reason to move to Taipei. You’re lucky CNN just got moved. Here in Ilan (Yilan) it really is off the cable. I guess I’ll go through he trouble of routing my PC speaker outputs to the living room so we can listen to the English broadcasts on the web. Satellite TV looks better and better.

OOC

Some areas of Taiwan have no English news services and the only two English channels are HBO & Star Movies. Even Discovery Nat Geo etc is fully Chinese. AXN Taiwan is three years behind AXN for other countries.

Taipei is much better off though. The main problem is that Cable TV fees have been fixed at NT$ 600 per month for years. Programming costs for cable providers have increased whilst their subscriber fees are fixed.

Therefore programming gets cut and more ads are placed. Satellite TV doesn’t have the crap ads and has the latest programming. Plus it’s all in English.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]Some areas of Taiwan have no English news services and the only two English channels are HBO & Star Movies. Even Discovery Nat Geo etc is fully Chinese.[/quote]Discovery, Knowledge and National Geographic in Taichung City are mostly in English, with I’d say a maximum of 20% in Chinese. Are these channels so different between regions? I’d have thought they all recieved the same feed.

The feeds for each cable TV provider are different, depending on what they pay for. Most county areas have less English programming than city areas.

In Taichung you don’t get the ABC from OZ, BBC World, Fox News, DW, TV, CNBC, or Bloomberg AFAIK. Programming in each country is different. ESPN India has 300 days a year of cricket. ESPN Taiwan gets 300 days a year of pool, or so it seems lol.

The main point of satellite TV is to get all your programming in English, without the crap commercial ads.

In Lotus Hill (Taipei County) we lost CNN and Hallmark channel today.

I lost all my English channels except for Knowledge, NG and…what’s the other educational one?..and HBO. All my English movie channels have disappeared, and I’ve been rediscovering the joy of watching Hong Kong movies.
So are they gone for good?

[quote=“twonavels”]I lost all my English channels except for Knowledge, NG and…what’s the other educational one?..and HBO. All my English movie channels have disappeared, and I’ve been rediscovering the joy of watching Hong Kong movies.
So are they gone for good?[/quote]
If your in Taibei I think you just need to rescan your channels. I still have everything here in Yonghe.

Hsin-ch still has everything also. CNN (6), educational channel are 18 and up, HK movies are at the low 60’s with the Englsih movies right in line, MTV and V are next with the sports channel right next to them. We got a little luckly with everything grouping together.

For those of you who can read Chinese, the cable company we’re with at least was nice enough to provide a program guide and a list of the channels that have changed (formatted as: (##) (Old station) (New station)) on channel 02. Might be worth checking if you’re still lost.

And they also added, on channel 16, a trial run of an Aboriginal TV station.

My problem is that I have an old tv with a box plugged in that deals with cable. The box can only go from channel 1 to 65.
So all the stuff that now moved into 66 and up I can’t access.
Can I move channels around?
What does rescan your channels mean? Is that something you can eat?
I remember my dad used to open the little door in front of the tv…look for channels…and put them at the number he wanted. Is that scanning?
I’m lost.

I’m going to make the poor schmucks at the cable tv office sorry they were ever born, starting tomorrow at 9:00 and every day for the rest of their God-forsaken lives unless they get CNN back on the air pronto. :fume: :bluemad: :taz: :grrr:

Good luck, we already called them and they said Hallmark is definitely out
and CNN still negotiating. Hallmark was nice cos it had sesame street and Bewitched for the kids.

What satellite feed can you offer? Do you have South Africa’s DSTV with SuperSport? Yes, you guessed it: I’m sick of crap TV and I want to watch the sport I want to watch, not endless pool competitions, figure skating, American sports and four-months-old tennis matches. :frowning:

The purpose of this channel change was supposedly to put like channels together, although this is true in some respects I have found that generally they mucked it all up as usual. Not only are channels not together, but they are scattered all over the place worse then before.

As Satellite TV metnioned programs are cut due to fixed cable rates. Hallmark disappeared last year for most cable subscribers and Star World I think disappeard completely. The fact is that under Taiwan law cable companies cannot raise the cable rates, so that means if a channel like Hallmark raises its rates then most likely the cable companies here will just cut it. Unless either budge on the issue than the subscriber will lose.

I believe channel 5 used to be the adult channel as it was all fuzzy and at least on my TV was not a channel scanned in, meaning if I wanted to watch blurred adult movies I would have to manually enter the channel, they moved CNN to that channel and I am wondering if the cable companies have an ulterior motive doing so. As most of us have noticed we have to rescan the channels. I am wondering if they did this to lower the ratings for CNN and have an excuse to cut it eventually. CNN is listed on channel 4 in our monthly program guide, when I went there I found some other news channel. After rescanning I found it on channel 5.

Tetsuo, there is a running bar on the top of most channels that tell you which channel will be moved to the new channel. It’s all in Chinese, but it is not too difficult to follow.