Cafe coffee replacement, what are you doing?

It’s doubtful it’ll only last 2 weeks, but maybe if there’s no case rise in the city. I wonder if it’s possible for Kaohsiung to resume dining-in and schools, while Taipei and NTC are still restricted.

Just like tea houses.

1 Like

Well I do not see many tea cafes (most are take away) like sit down coffee cafes.

1 Like

I think @mitaranda is referring to the 阿公店.

2 Likes

I have been drinking Kanu (instant) coffee as of late.

https://24h.pchome.com.tw/store/DBCO2D

When I have more time, I do grind my own beans, but I tend to roll out of bed a few minutes before I have to logon to work, so instant coffee is my coffee of choice atm.

That’s ‘freshly’ ground!

What’s the point of that?

If hot, it won’t be when arriving.
When iced, the ice will be melted and dilute the drink and warm up.

Caffeine.

It’s already been posted above, but worth reiterating: Bialetti Moka Express.

1 Like

Haha, yes sometimes I wonder if it’s that or the nice cafe or maybe both. But I do want coffee now maybe out of habit like some comfort foods.

1 Like

I’ve had headaches when I didn’t have my caffeine at times.

I’ve been using this Shopee vendor for ages - https://shopee.tw/a27571875

Lots of variety and good prices (just whole bean though, not sure if they would grind it).

1 Like

I’ve switched to matcha lattes. It’s been better for me, and longer more gradual energy boost without the jitters.

3 Likes

I left my moka pot in Elbonia :frowning:

Main problem I’ve noticed with them is that the seal eventually wears out and they start leaking water all over the hob. They don’t last very long if you’re using them more than once a day.

1 Like

what do you make them with?

They’re cheap on Shopee. I currently have four (6-cup, which I use almost exclusively, 4-cup, and two 2-cup). When I’ve seen them in physical shops here, they’re easily twice the price at least.

I use mine (the 6-cup one) maybe two or three times a day and have found the longevity to be pretty good - I usually get at least a year or so out of them before I forget about them on the hob and fall asleep or something, whereupon I’m (i) annoyed that I’ve destroyed another moka pot and (ii) relieved that I haven’t burned the apartment down with me inside.

They last longer on electric hobs rather than gas ones (harder to burn the handle and sides), and the rubber seals are replaceable - they come in packs of 3ish and I generally change them every several months when the coffee starts tasting burnt. (The seals are consumables though - they’re not supposed to last forever.)

I’ve being using my all-in-one camping portable coffee maker to make my daily coffee, so to avoid going out to get some java.

It grinds, dips and serves as a cup so I can sip it while WFH. Not the best coffee, but I think the issue is more with the barista than with the coffee machine itself.

Take my coffee away and you get this:

2 Likes

I use agave syrup as sweetener and use low-fat milk, oat milk, or almond milk with it. I don’t use fresh milk because it makes me sleepy.

I don’t have a whisk, but the green matcha powder I use is pretty good (Golde Matcha Powder: Pure Matcha – Golde) so just diluting it in hot water and mixing well with a spoon does it for me.

1 Like

Thanks! i will look into it. The sweetener will be the biggest challenge.

1 Like

I like this.

Guy

1 Like