Cafe coffee replacement, what are you doing?

If you’re into some of the more basic blends like Pike, I’ve noticed that some PX Marts (and larger Carrefours) seems to be stocking those beans too.

Guy

Pike is probably my favorite. Mostly because nostalgia, I grew up in Seattle. I tried one of the PX ones but didn’t like it that much. Is there a specific brand that tastes like Pike?

At some point I picked up a milk frother, like this sort of thing (I’m not endorsing that site at all - it’s just the first image I found on Google that looked like what we’ve got). I don’t use it very often because I generally prefer black coffee, but my wife gets a lot of use out of it for her various soy or oat milk lattes.

Would recommend trying Oklao - a lot cheaper and better than buying beans in Starbucks, IMO.

1 Like

Probably something I should consider.

1 Like

Cold brew opens up coffee flavor doors you never knew existed, but you need to use really good beans. Adding nitro opens up a whole pallet of aromas.

In a good cold brew, I especially love the complex syrupy tastes that come out (typically drawn from good Sumatra or other Indonesian beans).

However the trend of late has been to really push the floral flavours of African beans, which certainly have their fans, but which is a completely different effect.

Guy

wanhua_tea_time

1 Like

So basically the current level 3 restrictions are like a Soviet gulag?

I get that the current situation is not good, but it’s not quite that not good.

Guy

From the link:

It is to be drunk slowly, otherwise it may cause vomiting

Not a terribly enticing description.

He lost me at the “Soviet gulag” part. :rofl:

Guy

2 Likes

That sounds … um, like something you’d expect Russians to invent :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nitro, I think something I have not tried. I see it more now though.

1 Like

It’s nitrogen, not nitrous oxide what’s use in whipping up cream.

1 Like

I guess personal preferences, I know the flavors but still prefer hot. Sometime I still do try cold if the weather is really hot like yesterday like was 31 (this afternoon is much cooler)

Cold brew is not iced coffee, it’s coffee steeped for 24h in water in the fridge.

Public service announcement: They had buy one get one free on Italian Espresso beans (454 grams) in Oklao today, so I came away with 6 lb of decent coffee for NT$900. :yum:

2 Likes

You’re gone have a caffeine high for many weeks!

1 Like

Yeah. :nerd_face: I normally buy 3 bags every 3 weeks or so as it’s usually buy 2 get 1 free. This time, I initially picked up 4 bags then changed my mind and took another 2…just in case.

2 Likes

Six bags (What is lb?)? How many grams is that?