Caged animal syndrome

Hi
I have a lovely 7-year-cat. The problem is that I am moving from my spacious 30-ping house (but falling apart) to a tiny 10-ping studio. This is just the reality at the moment, but I feel “guilty”. Will my cat adjust, or simply go nuts?
Also, to be honest, I’ve thought about finding her a new home. Does anybody have a big home, with balcony or rooftop? Anybody want a fun cat? I’m gonna have to give her away when I leave in a year anyway, so … I just want my cat to be happy.
Thanks. (pic to follow if people express an interest in adoption).

[quote=“dolph”]Hi
I have a lovely 7-year-cat. The problem is that I am moving from my spacious 30-ping house (but falling apart) to a tiny 10-ping studio. This is just the reality at the moment, but I feel “guilty”. Will my cat adjust, or simply go nuts?
Also, to be honest, I’ve thought about finding her a new home. Does anybody have a big home, with balcony or rooftop? Anybody want a fun cat? I’m gonna have to give her away when I leave in a year anyway, so … I just want my cat to be happy.
Thanks. (pic to follow if people express an interest in adoption).[/quote]

When you say house, do mean a real house? Was the cat able to go outside?

Otherwise, your car should adjust. Do you have a view? If so set up a table or cabinet so the cat can look out and not feel he/she is confined. Take it up to the rooftop sometimes. Also, if there are plenty of shelves and things to climb on and over and into the cat will have fun. Cats love holing up in small spaces for most of the day so a small apartment is not necessarily going to make a big difference.

Build up. Cats prefer vertical, not horizontal space -the higher up, the safer they will feel.

Make sure the cat can climb up to closets and bedtands and whatever, and has plenty of hiding places. You can also build or buy some tepees or tunnels or simply put a box and fill it with an old pillow for his/her entertainment.

Definetively a safe window -iron mosquito netting, not plastic, and very thin bars- would be the best, so he/she can feel like master of the universe…

well actually if u are leaving in 1 year is good idea to start looking for a home for ur cat before its too late and then u have to give it to the first interested that might not be the best for ur cat…

Why can’t you take it with you when you leave?

Yeah. Take some responsibility. You can’t just discard it when it becomes an inconvenience.

I agree with them… i will take my ferret with me when i leave… unless the country that i go to has rules against ferrets, like my home country…

Don’t rush to judge, folks.

Some pets cannot go out because they have some viirus. Other times, people do not have the resources or do not know where they will leave.

The OP started asking how to make his pet’s life more confortable, so I trust he cares about kitty enough to take all these issues into consideration.

So let’s give a helping hand, ask first, fire later. We all know the bad cases, but there is still some good out there.

I also agree with you :wink: