Calculating costs of energy for the country

What is peoples thoughts on calculating long term effects of energy such as coal on things such as health care which is a real financial burdon.

Granted its a bit speculative, but the costs of things like health care fall directly on the government nhi system and thus tax payers and is a bit more in your face than more subtle or in depth problems.

Seems a feasible route for transitioning to renewable energy and encouraging development of cleaner energy sources. Education isnt happening soon, but panic from slow death might work. Its working in the food industry. Can it work in the energy fields?

You can start here:

Found on Facebook

Visualization by Víctor San Vicente con d3 for Electric Generation Visualization in Spain
Revised by Ling-Jyh Chen, based data Taiwan Power Company for Electric Generation Visualization in Taiwan.

It records the last 24 hours of production (very detailed), and consumption of energy in Taiwan

https://pm25.lass-net.org/Power_TW/?fbclid=IwAR3CYQeraxzl8U4bFe5RB_9lufmrL6tnZExc49Kv7FrEydY7BuP53zlbA-o

Right now,
the country is using 19407 MW
32% coal
31% LNG
19% nuclear
5% IPP coal
4% IPP LNG
3% co-gen
1% hydroelectric
the rest is under 1%

Taiwan uses a hell of a lot of energy for a small island. I looked into it before and two things stuck out.

One, energy demand keeps increasing year by year.

Two , more of Taiwanese electeicity is used by industry than residential . This is quite unusual worldwide.

My conclusion is that industrial energy demand is by far the biggest problem. This is not good because it’s the govts policy to attract even more energy hogs to Taiwan .

It’s all the wafer fabs eating the energy. Taiwan Semiconductor burns an absolute huge amount of power to the point where it might not be feasible for them to remain here due to concerns of a power shortfall for the next chip generation.

1 Like

I can not find anymore the report of a meeting at Taichung City Government about power and pollution. It was around autumn 2017.
Basically the conclusion from the meeting was: Air pollution is the price to pay for the power. And boom, Lin ChiaLong lost the elections a few months later.
Still looking for it. Welcome to help. Not easy to find in all those .gov webpages. As far as I remember, it was bilingual, English and Chinese

Edit: I post this here, because in that report, there was a lot of data related to power production, power consumption, pollution generated, etc… exactly what the op is asking for

It also has way too many people for a small island. Australia uses far more energy (3 quarters generated by coal, btw; the worst of all developed countries) and they have a similar number of ppl.

The new TSMC plant in Kaohsiung is expected to use the same amount of power as a medium sized city !
The new UV lasers need to use incredible amounts of power to etch the chips (folks who understand a bit of physics will know why). Not only energy but it’s also a massive water hog.
I posted about it before here.

1 Like