so what’s written:

Original function
u=x3

translated function
戊=天三

u => 戊
x => 天
u=x3 => 戊=天三

the differential symbol d is standslated into 彳, basically taking the radical from 微 (Chinese for taking a derivative)

Original Equation:
dx/du = 1/3x2

Translated Equation:

彳天 / 彳戊 = 一 / 三天二」

as if calculus wasn’t difficult enough :stuck_out_tongue:

Yours is one of the most rewarded online friendships I’ve ever had, and I don’t even know your name!

Thanks for the wonderfully thought-provoking links, even if this one is well beyond my mathematical abilities.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]Yours is one of the most rewarded online friendships I’ve ever had, and I don’t even know your name!

Thanks for the wonderfully thought-provoking links, even if this one is well beyond my mathematical abilities.[/quote]

thanks, glad to find people who also enjoy obscure facts like these :stuck_out_tongue:

I honestly probably only know four or five people (I’m talking native speakers here!) whose Chinese and math are good enough to understand this without a massive amount of effort.

What, you never took Math related courses in Chinese here before?

My only consolation when taking them in English was that as snarled I was in numbers, the locals were equally snarled in language. I used calculator for the exams, they brought electronic dictionaries.

Regarding Hansioux’s post: fascinating, interesting, looks gorgeous…