California ... a failed state

If only everyone had been armed, they could have been armed and shot instead of just shot!

Thereā€™s always been poop on the streets in L.A.

Iā€™m sure if we try hard we can think of lots of good things about California.

The place was crawling with cops, and one one was able to take him out pretty quick. Thatā€™s why the body count was so low. Of course, if lots of people in the crowd were packing, he could have been taken out even quicker.

Obviously theres good things about CA and any other state. Iā€™m speaking only opinions of friends and coworkers that have also lived there and grew up there how things have gotten worse the last 10 yrs . When I ask them how are things back home, they all talk about the rise in homelessness even in suburbs. Also high taxes and businesses moving out. Of course the plus side is the diversity of good Food. Good weather, beach close by and snowboarding in mountains. Downside, Calpers will bankrupt the state.

or they would have started shooting each other out of fear and panic and caused more injuries. Or Spider Man might have come in time and saved everyone.

Iā€™m not big into counterfactual type stuff. On shrooms maybe. Otherwise not really.

He had a big semiautomatic rifle, so he was a pretty clear target.

Nothing counterfactual about shrooms. Itā€™s just a different kind of reality.

I was in California a few weeks ago - Bay area - and was shocked at how bad the homeless problem is. I had read of ā€˜tent citiesā€™ but figured it was a place in a central location or somewhere near a shelter. Itā€™s not. Itā€™s something that is under virtually every overpass in the Oakland area. Huge piles of garbage. Areas that would be used for parking or flower markets in Taiwan are communities of people. Relatives and friends say they drive to the BART to park rather than walk the few blocks because itā€™s no longer safe to do so. Even in the city center of SF you see 4-5 homeless people on virtually every sidewalk.

Nothing that you read in the news does this justice.

1 Like

Ok so I guess the increase in homelessness and garbage is in both Northern and Southern CA. I hear that a lot about San Francisco too, hard to believe it used to be a nice city. But so many friends who live in Bay Area say the same thing, its not like it was 15-20 yrs ago

I have friends in LA who say the same. Itā€™s in Portland and Seattle as well though on smaller scales. San Diego doesnā€™t seem to have the same situation despite weather being a lot better?

Itā€™s really sad because twenty years ago the Seattle-Portland-SF stretch was as nice as any in the country.

This is true, I havenā€™t heard anyone say this about San Diego. They say its still nice. Anyways Iā€™ll find out, Im going back home to LA and then San Diego next month. Yea it used to be only Oakland was a dangerous hell hole now its San Francisco too. I have friend who live in Oakland, very dangerous now worse than 15 yrs ago when they moved

SF has been like that for decades, and it depends on where you are in the city. If youā€™re only hanging out on Market St and around the Powell St. station of course. There are plenty of areas in the city that arenā€™t like that now.

Only certain parts of the city, with a few homeless dotted around back then (2 decades ago). According to residents there its changed. Ive never heard of human poop on the floor even in LA but now itā€™s rampant in both San Fran and LA. There was always urine though. My mom had a store in the Fashion District of DTLA so I saw the homeless levels first hand growing up. Hard to imagine it can be more than back then

I dunno. I went to grad school there and was just there recently. I didnā€™t see a really huge difference.

Youā€™d think with the current robust economy there would be fewer homeless.

Ill have to see for myself, these are comments coming from friends and coworkers living in these places and occasional news articles. Could they all be exaggeratingā€¦perhaps. Ill find out next month when I go back

I think with SF people get there not realizing the scope of the homeless problem. They show up expecting it to be like a Kerouac novel and then itā€™s pretty grim, but only in the blocks downtown like you said.

The city has issues, no doubt. MUNI can be outright dangerous at times and is like a mobile insane asylum at its worst. Itā€™s overcrowded. BART is really expensive. SF is prob my least favorite city in Cali, except for Golden Gate park and the baseball park which is awesome.

LA is a great city. I love Ventura. Met Nick Nolte randomly once outside a Malibu restaurant. Highway One. It would be hard not to love Cali, I donā€™t see the disdain for it.

Theres a lot to love about CA, its my home so of course I love it, All my friends/family are there. I still have a house back there and most of my family is spread across L.A. Santa Monica, San Gabriel Valley, Pasadena etc. Yes Highway One is some of the best drives probably in the world. I always thought LA has better Taiwanese Food than Taiwan, Great Korean food, Middle Eastern, Mexican food etc. The point is just a lot of people who grew up there feel itā€™s gotten worse due to mismanagement. I donā€™t know, Iā€™ve been away for 7 years so canā€™t say.

1 Like

Agree re: shrooms. My favorite trip in life was w/my wife in Amsterdam a couple falls back.
Have some stories Iā€™ll save if we meet in real life. Damn I wanna go back there now.

RE: rifle I canā€™t get too swept up in the idea that everyone walking around armed at all moments is going to lead to a safer society, and even if it did (which I doubt) one anyone would enjoy living in. Iā€™ll take unarmed and at greater risk of being shot than having to cling to a weapon. Not one to see harming others physically as a means of expressing bad feelings for them.

Overall tired of the theme of violence and bullying in the US. Interesting people can find better ways of dealing with their life issues and insecurities.

I lived in San Francisco from 1999-2001. It was a dumpster fire then too. People urinating and defecating on the streets. Crazy people roaming around and shouting random things at people.

Itā€™s basically a Democrat utopia.

1 Like

I guess you missed the really beautiful park in the middle, the baseball stadium there thatā€™s idyllic that had the best hitter ever to play the game during the years you were there, beautiful houses, picturesque views of the city, Chinatown is awesome especially the basketball court Bill Russell grew up playing on. Oh yeah, and the ocean there is pretty nice.

Not my favorite city in Cali at all but it seems like youā€™re going out of the way to find the negative in the place.

SF worst fault is its cold as shit in the summer and rains all the time if youā€™re out in the Richmond area of it.

I donā€™t deny that there are beautiful places in SF. I enjoyed my time there. I learned a lot of Chinese there. Since I knew that I was going to be there temporarily in my late teens and early twenties, I found it an absolutely awesome place to be. There was never a dull moment walking around the streets of downtown SF. Anything and everything can and does happen.

But make no mistake, itā€™s a dumpster fire. Itā€™s poorly governed and dangerous. Property crime rate is among the highest in the country. Homelessness rate is extremely high. Drug use is extremely high.

Never in a million, billion years would I consider raising a family in the area.

Basically the high-Asian population areas are fairly nice with reasonable living conditions, while the rest of the city is very dangerous.