California ... a failed state

I am irritated with the CA regents mostly for personal reasons. My kid spent a lot of time prepping for standardized tests and got scores that would have helped with UC admissions. They kind of changed the rules in the middle of the game. As for family and culture, those seem to be outside the scope of educational/government manipulation. Not sure education departments can address anything outside the scope of school activities. Of course, home life can have a huge impact on academic performance at any school.

I disagree with respect to government. Government incentivizes the breakdown of the family. It incentivizes not working hard. It incentivizes single parenthood. All these incentives were advertised to be done to help the poor, and perhaps most who support them actually believe that. But the results have been disastrous, and this is just one example of it.

Even education hurts by pushing the oppression narrative. @jdsmith recently cited a book review which cites a study I recently read which demonstrated that simply reading a passage of Coates’ anti-racism screed made people 15% less likely to say they believe they could succeed in life. Many studies show similar results.

And even if all this weren’t true, it would still be important to understand the true causes of different outcomes rather than appoint a bogeyman and either tear it down or throw money at it.

We will disagree on this, then.

The results you refer to may stem from other factors.

I’m reading the 1619 Critique now. Man, they got a LOT wrong…but Lincoln right oddly enough.

What do they say about Lincoln?

Oh just that he was all in on shipping the emancipated slaves abroad and didn’t give much thought to post war racial realities.

But the main premise that King Cotton ran the show was laughably off target.

1 Like
2 Likes

People actually trust these clowns at the helm.

Throw off the masks. When you are challenged, just say I was feeling the spirit. There will be t shirts in a week.

1 Like

California lowest Covid rate in country…with greater effort, they could be Mississippi.

Back in public health school, it seemed like Mississippi had the worst stats for most conditions we looked at. Still, it’s surprising that around 0.3% of the population have died of Covid. At least according to this report.

Then again, I think they have like the second highest obesity rate.

I think they will make the decision today. Looks like it may be declined:
Gov. Gavin Newsom hints he will not release RFKs assassin, Sirhan Sirhan, from prison | Daily Mail Online

I remember some commentary on Forumosa on Sirhan. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
It’s a Girl! - Taiwan / Parenting - Forumosa

1 Like

Well, they never let Manson out either, and he didn’t even kill anybody.

But they did release Hinckley.

Well, he was in the looney bin…and not a California looney bin. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think this shows the real issue with America: The progressives of America are really not all that progressive. Fact is they still believe in trickle down economics, giving the rich people more money with the hope that they’d create jobs or whatever but instead all they do is drive up prices and making everyone else more poor.

Then you got the fact that it is impossible to build any kind of higher density residential complex in or around San Francisco because the residents of the region would fight tooth and nail against it. So there is no way to increase the number of houses there.

Really the problem is both parties believe in the same doctrine and refuses to change.

1 Like

Isn’t that the real issue anywhere? Person claims to wanna solve ABC out of good faith. Gets officially appointed by the people to solve ABC. Ends up enjoying being appointed, the fame and the money it brings, and doesn’t care about ABC anymore, but still uses that rhetoric to keep being appointed. Or another person comes in, say “yeah I believe in solving ABC too!” and uses that to get power.

Doesn’t matter if it’s about the immigrants, the opioids, racism, homelessness or ecology.

An interesting perspective on the Bay Area crime problem.

1 Like