California Fitness Lifetime Contract Policies Suck

Notice the article at http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2010/05/21/2003473512.

In summary, consumers purchase a lifetime worldwide membership, with an NT$88 annual renewal fee. If member misses annual renewal, they are kicked out and can not pay the fee late.

This happened to a friend. Walked in one day and they were denied entrance. California Fitness said they had not paid the NT$88 annual renewal fee. They said, “Ok, I am here, I will pay it now”. California Fitness said too late. They could of mentioned it a day earlier, and ok, but after walking in day after day, one day, can’t enter. Maybe something embedded in contract, but still and unfair practice.

So hoping this organization, Consumer Foundation at http://www.consumers.org.tw/, can help.

[quote=“tango42”]Notice the article at http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2010/05/21/2003473512.

In summary, consumers purchase a lifetime worldwide membership, with an NT$88 annual renewal fee. If member misses annual renewal, they are kicked out and can not pay the fee late.

This happened to a friend. Walked in one day and they were denied entrance. California Fitness said they had not paid the NT$88 annual renewal fee. They said, “Ok, I am here, I will pay it now”. California Fitness said too late. They could of mentioned it a day earlier, and ok, but after walking in day after day, one day, can’t enter. Maybe something embedded in contract, but still and unfair practice.

So hoping this organization, Consumer Foundation at http://www.consumers.org.tw/, can help.[/quote]
Yeah, I’m one of their victims. :bluemad:

Are you kidding?! I would go BALLISTIC if that happened to me!

According to news, the Consumer agency said it was legal. :astonished:

88 nts behind and say goodbye to 70 thousand or more? They should give back the money, right?

What is the problem with gyms here that have such lousy business models?

Friend is filling out one of these 存證信函 forms available at the post office, then send to California Fitness and the Consumer Foundation. I’m thinking Apple Daily would be a good address also.

[quote=“Icon”]According to news, the Consumer agency said it was legal. :astonished:

88 nts behind and say goodbye to 70 thousand or more? They should give back the money, right?

What is the problem with gyms here that have such lousy business models?[/quote]
Doesn’t 24Hr Fitness in the US do the same thing? I thought they also had a lifetime membership with some small annual fee after the first couple years, and if you don’t renew on time, which they hope you won’t, that’s the end of your membership. Doesn’t 24Hr Fitness now fully own California Fitness?

Why would anyone trust a local service business with a large, lump sum lifetime membership payment? You might as well chip in for the ticket to the mainland and sign the farewell card.

A la Alexander Fitness… :fume:

Actually, I got my money’s worth in the 7 years that I did use the card. I paid 49k, or 7 grand a year. I’m still bummed that I let it lapse, though. I went back in and made an appointment to see the GM, and they extended it for a year, but after April 2011, I’m screwed.

Haud on just a damn minute! You mean you GAVE NT$70,000 to a frigging GYM OPERATION? :astonished: That’s that daftest thing I’ve heard all afternoon!

Huh?

Porque?
(Posted the last one in response to Icon’s NT$70k reference. Quite jumping the gun. I don’t care if its your birthday or not. NO CAKE FOR YOU!)

If it is in the contract and is explained clearly then what is the problem? I know it is a dick move but it seems legal enough.

[quote=“sandman”]Porque?
(Posted the last one in response to Icon’s NT$70k reference. Quite jumping the gun. I don’t care if its your birthday or not. NO CAKE FOR YOU!)[/quote]

Me?! Good heaven’s, no, it was the case on the news, dear. I never succumbed to those story tellers, not even when Alexander’s came to our office and gave us their best “group pitch”. The one I used to go, you paid yearly, or monthly, they are very accomodating. You pay what you use, you do not go, you only lose the money you paid. As we say in Spanish, squash cut, squash eaten style.

Sincerely, all those places give me the chills, and it has nothing to do with hygine. Seriously, someone can make a thesis out of their models. How to sc*** people and get away with it, would be the title.

Stick to bycicle, walking the dog and lifting weights at home. Less of a hassle.

It is a little, mini-type, out of the way, corner not even clause -as they showed on TV. And it doesn’t explicitly say you will forfeit your investment if you miss your dateline for payment of 88 miserable nts.

It is a dirty trick, plain and simple, and bad business in the long run. Totally unnecessary and uncalled for, unless they are willingly trying to reduce their membership.

Funny this should come up today. I’ve just this morning experienced a comparable example of dishonesty by World Gym, which has left me fuming and vowing to take it up with the Consumer Protection Foundation if it’s not rectified - not so much for the amount of money involved, but for the principle of it because I deeply loathe such flagrant, calculated blood-sucking thievery.

My situation is that, in early April 2008, I signed a 2-year contract for membership of World Gym in Xindian. I had to pay an admission fee of something like NT$4,000, plus a monthly fee of a bit under NT$1,300, paid automatically from my bank account at the beginning of each month. I also had to pay two months right away (i.e., an initial payment of NT$6,000+), with the first monthly payment deducted from my bank account one month later - meaning that I was always paid up two months ahead. I assumed this meant that my payments would cease after 22 months, i.e. the last payment (for the 24th month) would be taken from my bank account in February of this year, unless I agreed to renew/extend my membership.

After using the gym for only ten months, I moved away from Xindian, and couldn’t go to the gym any more. I accepted that I’d signed up for a 2-year membership, and that I’d therefore just have to swallow making that monthly payment of NT$1,300 until the two years expired - too bad, but my bad. I knew I could sell the membership to someone else and pay a small administrative fee for the transfer, but was too busy and couldn’t be bothered to do that. I didn’t know that I could have paid a “fine” of a few thousand NT to terminate the 2-year agreement at any time - that could have saved me quite a lot of money if I’d known, and I would have known it if I’d read the small print of the Chinese contract, but I didn’t do so. It certainly wasn’t pointed out to me when I signed the contract, but never mind, my bad, and I wouldn’t make any fuss about it (though there might be valid grounds for my doing so).

However, when I looked at my latest bank statements, I was surprised and annoyed to see that the payments to World Gym were still being made after they should have stopped. I got all steamed up, and immediately phoned World Gym to complain about this. They told me that I would have to go to the gym and sign a termination of membership before they would stop the payment demands. I got very angry, told them in no uncertain terms that this was utterly unacceptable, and said a few choice things about the thieving dishonesty and unlawfulness of this practice.

Today, I went all the way over to the gym specially to sort this out. I officially terminated my membership, and since the latest payment has just been deducted from my bank account (for the 27th month), told them that they must refund two months’ fees. They said no, sorry, we don’t do that - you are still a member for the next two months and can continue to use the gym, but we can’t refund any money. I, of course, exploded, explained exactly why this was totally wrong and unacceptable, and threatened all manner of dire repercussions (primarily, complaining to the Consumer Protection Foundation) if this matter were not properly resolved. The fellow who I was dealing with said he’d ask the big boss if they could do as I demanded, but the big boss wasn’t available then. I couldn’t wait around for the decision-maker to turn up, so that’s how I left it.

Of course, I do not expect them to do the right thing. They’ll hope I just forget about it. But I’ll give them a few days to contact me and tell me that they’re making the refund, and if they don’t, I’ll write a very strongly worded complaint to the Consumer Protection Foundation, and consider taking other measures to publicize and put a stop to this disgusting practice.

Wow. Bummer!

Personally, I would never sign up for a membership that required action on my part to stop the membership payments. Nor would I ever sign up for one with a huge up-front payment. And I’ve never understood why others are willing to do so. If they want my money they’ll have to offer a more reasonable deal.

Just

say

no.

To my mind, the very words “California” & “Fitness” do not really go together well. Certainly not well enough to hand over a huge lump sum.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Wow. Bummer!

Personally, I would never sign up for a membership that required action on my part to stop the membership payments. Nor would I ever sign up for one with a huge up-front payment. And I’ve never understood why others are willing to do so. If they want my money they’ll have to offer a more reasonable deal.[/quote]

I stopped paying for a gym after I saw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDCxH88-9X8

I went from 300 to 240 and falling by running and climbing on shit around the cities.

OK, let me put this right … you sign a ‘lifetime’ contract … that needs yearly renewal :ohreally: … what does make this a ‘lifetime’ contract? :ponder: