California set to become first state to ban natural hair discrimination

Clearly more important than the homeless problem. Just don’t come to Texas and try to make it like California. It also seems like a useless ban. How would you even know if someone didn’t hire you because of a Afro? Idk how it’s even possible to prove it unless the person said it or wrote it down.

1 Like

You don’t need to prove it. You just have to claim it. The outrage machine and a well timed GoFundMe page will do the rest.

3 Likes

So how does it work? I always keep my hair clean cut and neat for work. Shave my facial hair for interviews and keep it trimmed or shaved for work.

I don’t think any particular hair style is unprofessional. But if it’s all over the place maybe it’s worth considering it not always well accepted in the professional setting. There are a nice clean managed Afro and there are just free Afros that are huge and unkept. All kinds. If it looks well managed it looks professional to me. If it’s like huge…maybe not. I don’t go to the office with a huge Mohawk, but a clean cut fohawk seems perfectly fine.

Straw ban and protection for hair.

California: always tackling the big issues.

2 Likes

“unkempt” is very subjective.

For some (I would say many) bosses, HR, etc. any hair more than 2 inches on a man, regardless of how well kept they are, is “unkempt”.

For you, maybe a long haired man kept his hair clean, professional, etc. is ok but for many the length itself is an issue.

But that’s the point. It is kind of subjective. Your position may have to deal with VIP clients handling million dollar deals. I don’t necessarily want a guy with a Mohawk or a Hitler mustache for that position. That’s the reality, I always make myself as presentable to the average person as possible in regards to the situation I’m in.

If it’s a cultural thing. Can I complain about being oppressed into western business suites to fit into western culture? Maybe I will wear a Chinese tunic to work.

Are you claustrophobic ?:wink:

1 Like

Those Chinese tunics look pretty comfortable honestly. The one Donny Yen wears in Ip Man.

Those Western suits were designed for a European climate, not tropical. But because we gotta please the white man, we wear them in tropical climates.

that is insane

wrong, Asians culturally appropriated western wear both for casual and the workplace.
please cease and desist now.
ladies, back to qipao
men, back to changshan, starting with @Taiwan_Luthiers

I don’t own one. But they look pretty comfortable to me.

i was kidding of course.
i used the rise of idiot cultural appropriation to make a point about @Taiwan_Luthiers weird statement about pleasing the white man.

I know. But I’m not lol. I want to get one now. Perhaps made of linens or something, or Egyptian Cotten.