California Smog - "made in China"

Interesting things one finds one the way to somewhere else:
a good portion of California’s smog is said to be the result of industrial pollution in China that is tied to the prodcuction of goods made for the US market… :idunno:

newscientist.com/article/dn2 … -smog.html

I call bullshit. They’ve had smog long before China’s industrial rise. It is because of the millions of cars with one person in them on the road daily. Why is it when you are in LA and Orange Counties you can see where the smog ends?

If this were true the outlying areas would have 25% the smog LA does and that frankly isn’t the case.

boooo!

hissss!

Fuck science! I am going to join the Fox News watching, head in the sand, caveman set, hey Tigerman, Fred Smith, Varmint, Rowland, what’s up guys? how bout them fuckin Liberal bastard! Global warming my asss! Fuckin Polar VORTEX!!!

Of course…

Right! That’s a big whopper of a man-made problem right there…

Well, you may want to take your objections to Jintai Lin of Peking University in Beijing, China, and his colleagues who did the research. Apparently (quoting from the referenced article now), “an added twist came when [they] combined their emissions data with atmospheric models that predict how winds shuttle particles around. These winds push Chinese smog over the Pacific and dump it on the western US, from Seattle to southern California. The modelling revealed that on any given day in 2006, goods made in China for the US market accounted for up to a quarter of the sulphate smog over the western US.” Not sure whether that translates to 25% of visible smog in LA - probably not…

Seems the vortex’s gotten hold of you alright there… :wink:

About those cars and such: Jintai Lin’s collaborator Dabo Guan (University of Leeds) had something to say about that (quoting again from the article). "People in the US and other rich, industrialised countries consume more resources than the global average, so they are responsible for a larger proportion of global pollution emissions. ‘Emissions can only be effectively mitigated if our lifestyle in the West can be transformed to a sustainable level.’ " Nothing i could add to that…

What you should add is that it is not just ‘people in the west’ but the middle class and upper class distributed all over the world.

You’re right…

:bow: