Calls Home!

[quote=“bushibanned”]how do I call England from my cell?

the number is 0044 020 761**
when I call North America i simply press +1 area code number[/quote]

When calling North America, I dial 009-1+area code+ number. I wonder if it’s the cheapest way to do it via cell phone. Perhaps someone knows better.

:help: it still doesn’t work.

i’ve tried +0044 2 …
and no + and just 0044 2…

002 44 2 . . .

or

+44 2

Is it blocked by the phone company?

I can’t call the Philippines from my mobile here, but I can call Blighty.

[quote=“bushibanned”]how do I call England from my cell?

the number is 0044 020 761**
when I call North America i simply press +1 area code number[/quote]As Damafen said, the standard number is 002 44 20 761…
That may not be the cheapest but it should work fine. (I’m looking right now at the price I paid for a 40 minute call to England on a Sunday evening with my Taiwan Dageda account. It was 525NT which though expensive is not out of the bounds of reason). I’m going to get SKYPE Out soon though which will be much much cheaper.

Out of interest, how do those discount codes (006 etc) work? Can one use them with a cellphone? And how does the billing work, given that the discount codes are provided by companies which may not be one’s own cellphone/land line provider?

The + stands for whatever prefix the regulating authorities have assigned to your operator’s network for making international calls.

If you don’t know t the prefix you just type +. 44 is the country code for the UK so it has to be +44 or 002 44, just lik damafen said.

There must be cheaper ways though, anybody?

Is possibly needing two codes a reason I could SMS one of my sisters living in England but not call her straight after the bombing incident?

[quote=“rice_t”]The + stands for whatever prefix the regulating authorities have assigned to your operator’s network for making international calls.

If you don’t know t the prefix you just type +. 44 is the country code for the UK so it has to be +44 or 002 44, just lik damafen said.[/quote]Right. And after that, remember to take the first “0” off the area code so the London code “020” becomes just “20”.

[quote=“rice_t”]There must be cheaper ways though, anybody?[/quote]Obviously something like SKYPE Out is the cheapest way of calling a real telephone.

If you have to use a cellphone or landline to make the call then there are those discount cards you can buy in convenience stores. You scrape off the foil, dial the 0800 freephone access number, enter the PIN and then enter the number. Most of these cards remember your caller ID so if you have credit left you don’t have to remember the PIN when you use the service subsequently.

Be careful when using these cards with a cellphone, though. Some of them only let you use the freephone access number from a landline, meaning that from a cellphone you have to dial a Taipei access number and you pay twice; for the card credit and for the cost of a call to Taipei. Surely not much cheaper than using regular old 002. So read the blurb on the back of the discount card carefully before you buy it.

There are also discount cards and codes available for online purchase. I think that some of these are quite a bit cheaper than the ones you can buy in 7-11 etc.

One of the easiest ways would be to use one of the discount codes advertised on TV such as 006. But I’m not sure whether direct dialing 006 without a PIN works on a cellphone or only on a landline. I’m also not sure how the billing works so am afraid of running up a bill with some company that is not my cellphone provider.

[quote=“Matchstick_man”]Is possibly needing two codes a reason I could SMS one of my sisters living in England but not call her straight after the bombing incident?[/quote]Unlikely. The numbers should be the same. After the bombing, the cellphone lines were extremely busy, and some “bandwidth” was set aside for the emergency services only to use. This is the most likely reason that you couldn’t get through.

009 +44 20 3125 5768

As an example. I’ve just tried it for you so there is no problems with the network at the moment.

Silly question: Are you sure you have the right number?

[quote=“Dangermouse”]009 +44 20 3125 5768

As an example. I’ve just tried it for you…[/quote]Do you use this number from a mobile phone? How do you get billed for it? Does it just turn up on your normal phone bill? 002 is the normal code and I think 009 is provided by another company.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]009 +44 20 3125 5768

As an example. I’ve just tried it for you so there is no problems with the network at the moment.

Silly question: Are you sure you have the right number?[/quote]

Can’t be.

It’s either: 009 44 followed by city code without the 0 or +44 followed by what I just said but it cannot be 009 +44.

It doesn’t have to be 009 it could be 006 or whatever depending on the phone company. 001 is the normal standard outgoing number from Chunghwa Telecom and 009 is their cheaper option. ‘+’ will get billed at 001 rates, I believe. It is best to save all your overseas numbers with the + thing as when they call you, it will show on the display. If you save with say, 009, even if that’s what you dial, when they call you it comes up as a private number which for those of us that don’t answer when the number is unknown, is useful.

BroonAT&T

Yep, sorry my mistake. I typed the + in by accident. 009 44 20… … … … from cell phones.

I use 009 from the cell and the landline. It just turns up on a seperate page on the phone bill, clumped together with all the other international calls I need to make. Both my cell and landline bills don’t seperately charge for the international calls.

I dial 1 888 1 002 +country code+phone number. I’m not sure of the rate, but I heard it was the cheapest deal for FarEasTone customers.

:thanks:

call went through. thanks for the instructions!

Yep, That’s the cheapest way to call to the U.S. for those of us using IF cards. It’s around 3NT/minute. It’s actually cheaper to call the U.S. than to call someone in Taipei. Go figure! :noway:

I’m not sure what the rates are to other countries, though.

call went through. thanks for the instructions![/quote]

It only took you 10.5 hours to get it done. Though an interesting example of how the Forumosa can chip in and help, surely there must be an easier way to work out how to make a phone call?

BroonAskTheOperator

is pincity still the cheapest?

are the rates the same between the US site and the TW site? as I can’t really read the taiwan site.

Any recommendations on the cheapest to call the USA 7-11 cards? Skype is ok when calling friends but when calling customer service and waiting for 15 minutes and then having the line break is a real downer.

How do you call from home, specifically the USA? 011 886 (0)2 xxxx-xxxx ain’t working with or without the zero in front of the two…

Check out this site. countrycallingcodes.com/index.php

According to it, you should just dial 011 886 + the number. So maybe try again without the 02. Good luck.