Camera problems

i got excited at the thought of taking photos, and went out and bought a lense for an old camera i got from my uncle. problem was the camera and lense are a different brand, so they dont work together. the lense is new, but i cant use it. it is a tamron 17-35mm. but the store wont take it back. i am a complete beginner, so i dont know how cameras and lenses work. ive been doing some reading, and i feel very silly knowing what i know now. would any body be interested in this lense, this being a photo thread and all?

What brand is the lens for? Which camera did you buy? You should have brought the lens with you when you bought the camera to test it out. Any semi-knowledgeable camera salesperson would have sorted you out.

Tamron is a 3rd party lens manufacturer, which means that they don’t make cameras themselves, but rather lenses for other cameras. A Tamron 17-35 made for Nikon won’t fit on a Canon body, etc.

What brand is the lens for? Which camera did you buy? You should have brought the lens with you when you bought the camera to test it out. Any semi-knowledgeable camera salesperson would have sorted you out.

Tamron is a 3rd party lens manufacturer, which means that they don’t make cameras themselves, but rather lenses for other cameras. A Tamron 17-35 made for Nikon won’t fit on a Canon body, etc.[/quote]

I guees it’s the other way around … he got the cam and bought the lens … :slight_smile: but anyhow, what body is the lens for? What ‘old’ cam do you have?

[quote]Love the composition of that xylophone pic, DM, but the lighting seems strange. The shadows look like a strong afternoon light, but the brightness is a bit muted.
[/quote]

Yes, I actually agree with you. It was actually night-time when I took that, and the light is from one of those white flourescent-tube streetlights you can find dotted around Taiwan, which probably explains the strange lighting.- probably a white balance issue.

i have an old nikkormat, which i read was a cheaper nikon option, so i was assuming i would be able to use the tamron for nikon on the old nikkormat body, but it doesnt want to fit. im not going to buy a new camera cos i dont know about them, but was just hoping to use what i have.

so, as i say, im now sitting with this lense i cant return and wont fit. i already have a 50mm for my nikkormat, and guess i will have to get used to that.

but does anyone want the tamron?

[quote=“marksclone”]i have an old nikkormat, which i read was a cheaper nikon option, so i was assuming i would be able to use the tamron for nikon on the old nikkormat body, but it doesnt want to fit. im not going to buy a new camera cos i dont know about them, but was just hoping to use what i have.

so, as i say, im now sitting with this lense i cant return and wont fit. i already have a 50mm for my nikkormat, and guess i will have to get used to that.

but does anyone want the tamron?[/quote]

Can you be more specific on the data?
What lens mounts does it support, is it AF/D/MACRO, do you have the warranty certificate?
Whats the F range?

full name of lense is 1-35mm F2.8 - 4 Xr Di LD Aspherical (IF)

i paid 16000nt in July, so its still got 7 months left on the warranty

i am frustrated, so i just want to sell this lense which ive been sitting with and have forgotten about. Last time i checked they were 14000nt at my local shop - would any body take it for 10k?

Have you tried to focus the lens manually?

AFAIK, the Nikkormat cameras were all MF (manual focus) camera’s, whereas the lens you bought is an AF (autofocus) lens. Some AF lenses will work on MF Nikon bodies, but you will have to flip the switch on the lens to MF (or M). You may also need to stop down to f8 or so. AF lens often won’t work wide open (f2.8-4) on an MF body.

The 50mm lens you have is a great focal length for film. It’s the closest to what the human eye sees, although you will have to use your feet as the “zoom”. Get out with the camera and the 50mm, and post some shots on here. I’m sure all the photographers who post stuff here would be happy to give you some tips to help you improve.

i dont know how to use this, and it doesnt seem to be working on my older camera - maybe someone else could find better use for it.

its new

What version of Nikkormat do you have? Nikkormats came in 8 different versions (FS,FT,FTn,FT2,FT3,EL,ELW,EL2) so if you know which one you have, you can then determine what kind of mount you have (non-AI or AI). Regardless, Nikon mounts are very backwards compatible so any modern lens should at least fit onto an older manual focus camera. You may lose metering and AF (and maybe even aperture control), but it should still fit.

Are you sure the lens is a Nikon mount? If you have a digital camera, why not post some pix of the camera and the lens mount. From Tamron’s website, it appears on the surface that your lens allows manual aperture indexing and manual focus. This implies that the lens should work on a Nikkormat.

ok, i got it mounted and it seems fine. a friend of mine has the 50d or d50 or which ever way round the d goes, and it was really cool and seemed fast.

i dont know if im going to be taking many photos cos i dont know much about it, so i dont wanna waste money on it. it was just something i thought about doing. but now, its not so cool cos i have to manually do everything, and it confusing. even on the 50mm, the photos dont look so nice.

i know this is a thread of photo people, but im not one of them. i am npt really interested, i thought it would be easier than it is, or that it would mean me just picking up and pointing a camera at what i wanted. someone said a good lense will help, which is why i bought this lense. now, i feel silly and a bit stuck with something i dont want and cant get rid of.

all your pictures are pretty from the daily photo stream, but i dont have digital, and am not that interested in photos.

Hmm…I thought you wrote that you were “excited at the thought of taking photos”.

If you only want to point-and-shoot, then you should have bought a point-and-shoot camera. Sell your 17-35mm lens (on eBay, for example), swallow the loss, and take that money to buy a new (or better yet, a much cheaper used) digital point-and-shoot camera. You can choose from a gazillion different models out there on the market.

A Nikkormat and a 50mm lens can produce brilliant results. It’s not the camera that matters, but the person behind the camera that makes the picture.

If you want to effectively use that Nikkormat, you’ll have to “waste” money on it. First, I’m guessing it has been years (or decades) since its last service. Thus, you’ll need a CLA (clean, lube, adjust) so the shutter speeds are properly calibrated. Film and processing will also continue to cost you money. So if you’re not interested in using an all manual camera, sell the Nikkormat as well on eBay. And the 50mm lens too. At least this will soften the loss from the 17-35mm lens.

i cant sell the camera - was given to me by my uncle.

my initial excitement was with the idea, but didnt know anything about cameras - i just thought i would get a new lense

but since i am in taiwan, i was hoping to find a taiwan based buyer