Camp-in Protest against Beach Hotel in Taidong

Am i the only one to see what you did there :laughing:

Yeah, there’s a package deal, it includes a sunset swim with the turdles.

A few small minsu’s (民俗) are just north of there by the beach in San Yuan(杉原). I’ll be passing by in a couple or three weeks, and I’ll definitely drop by and give a bit of support.

Am i the only one to see what you did there :laughing:[/quote]
Nein! I alzo zee wat he haz done here. But, I don’t vant to attrackt ze atteshun to eet!!!

Of course we all saw it and got sandman’s irony. But what is your point? That we really need a hotel there?

Of course we all saw it and got sandman’s irony. But what is your point? That we really need a hotel there?[/quote]
Shite! Do we?? Say it isn’t so! Say we haven’t assimilated into the Borg!!!

Anyway, back OT. Dulan, that is really great news about the protest. :thumbsup:

Yeah Mucha, it was a timely boost. There are people putting a lot of time and effort into the movement and I know they have had periods of flagging hope - but to see that surge in support and the coming together of the aboriginal community, and then the kick the organizers got out of that - it was very nice. One of the organizers, passionate advocate, and tireless worker, Yu Wen, was asked to give a speech at the celebratory gathering the following day. It went something like this:
‘Mei shemme. Wo ing gai shwo shemme? Wo mei shemme yao shwo.’
Then she passed the mic to the next person. Doesn’t sound terribly inspiring, but somehow it was the best speech i’ve ever heard.

Success breeds success, so let’s hope this leads to even greater things. One benefit you have is that it is tight-knit communities involved (and who are not getting any benefit from this) and not a lot of unrelated people.

I hope I’ll be back in Taiwan for the next protest.

Courtesy of Chris and 捐款給「反美麗灣」計畫:

[quote]Information for contributions
Please choose one of two accounts to deposit money

Account 1: 060-12249169 (code 050)
Account 2: 0001358-083398-4 (code 700)

After remittance or transfer, please Email the following information to inform teiaet@gmail.com

Email Subject: “捐款給「反美麗灣」計畫”

Email contents:
(1) Your name.
(2) Contact phone / address.
(3) The date of donation.
(4) Last 5 digits of your account number.
(5) Amount of donation.
(6) Which account the money is donated into.
[/quote]

Thanks for that!

I’m wondering, because I’ve been there in February, and I know the situation … where do/did all the protester go to toilet? :ponder:

Another thought, the hotel is there … restoring to it’s prime will be almost impossible and maybe do more harm to the surroundings as it is now. If they open it but deny the hotel owners of ‘privatizing’ the beach and have them install a proper sewage system … because this is one of the reasons it’s not opened yet, that’s what I’ve been told.
And, maybe tax them … enough.

There is a public bathroom at the temple at the northern end of the beach.

There is a public bathroom at the temple at the northern end of the beach.[/quote]

I know … for over a 1,000 people?

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]I’m wondering, because I’ve been there in February, and I know the situation … where do/did all the protester go to toilet? :ponder:

Another thought, the hotel is there … restoring to it’s prime will be almost impossible and maybe do more harm to the surroundings as it is now. If they open it but deny the hotel owners of ‘privatizing’ the beach and have them install a proper sewage system … because this is one of the reasons it’s not opened yet, that’s what I’ve been told.
And, maybe tax them … enough.[/quote]

1. We built temporary toilets for the concert - all waste was removed. I know that coz i scored the job of helping remove it. I get all the shit jobs.
  2. I genuinely appreciate your feedback, but I don’t think you quite comprehend the type of people we are dealing with here. The case has been to court 4 times (progressively higher courts) - each time the court has ruled that the building is flagrantly illegal - but they are still, in cahoots with the Tai-dodgy local council, going ahead anyway. Clearly they don’t give a shit what the law or anyone else says - the idea of ‘denying them the privatization of the beach’ is, frankly, laughable and naive. Their whole strategy was to just build it (illegaly), then argue later, as you put it, ‘well, it’s already there now’. That’s an argument that has worked remarkably well, and you, and many others, are falling straight into that trap. Apart from anything else, what kind of example do you think that sets for all the future developers (with their plans already in the pipeline) who are watching this case?
    Nah, we’re drawing the proverbial line in the sand on this one. There is no way we are going to start playing their game and going cap in hand to them and begging for things like public access to the beach and please don’t pump your ten tonnes of mainland shit into our ocean each day. They would absolutely love that. That’s a drop your daks, total surrender. The goals of the protest movement with regard to this particular site have always been, and firmly remain to 1. halt construction and 2. tear it down and restore the beach.
    On a broader level, the goal is to protect the east coast from unrestrained, destructive, mega-developments, be they BOT, or massive private land grab devlopments (such as the ‘Sea World’ style one at San Sian Tai)
    Sorry BP to use your post for launching a rant, but i think it’s an important, fundamental point about the protest that needs to be made.

im gonna get flamed, but you know what they say, opinions are like assholes…

The whole of the east coast has been shat all over by the locals since… well day one, with nuclear waste disposal and god knows what kinds of factorys (i lost count on the drive to hulien).
If anything privatizing the beach and having a company develop the place would probably be the last hope for the area.
Sure they are going about it wrong, but i cant see how it would do any harm to the enviroment… quite the opposite in fact.

I fully understand the situation … but as I said, destruction may be worse … and look at it from an economic point, it brings jobs to the region, but they have to play it by the book from now on. Which is probably an oxymoron …

An other point, are all the houses down the road (beach) build legally? I know that an American has built a house there, big, huge garden to the beach …

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]I fully understand the situation … but as I said, destruction may be worse … and look at it from an economic point, it brings jobs to the region, but they have to play it by the book from now on. Which is probably an oxymoron …

An other point, are all the houses down the road (beach) build legally? I know that an American has built a house there, big, huge garden to the beach …[/quote]

I think you have to look at alternative development styles. Not all development needs to require a massive hotel and exclusive beach rights granted to guests. You have to look at how many dollars get spent in the local community. If people just go to the hotel, eat their meals there and wonder down to there exclusive beach then how much are the locals benefiting, beside the few jobs created.

[quote=“smellybumlove”]
The whole of the east coast has been shat all over by the locals since… well day one, with nuclear waste disposal and god knows what kinds of factorys (i lost count on the drive to hulien).
If anything privatizing the beach and having a company develop the place would probably be the last hope for the area.
Sure they are going about it wrong, but i cant see how it would do any harm to the enviroment… quite the opposite in fact.[/quote]
I’m not sure if i understand what you are saying (or even if you do) but it sounds like you think the nuclear waste disposals were built by the local residents. They weren’t. They are similar kinds of government-private company deals that were inflicted on local inhabitants the same way the hotel has been. And do you think all those factories you talk about are not private developments? What is that you think they are? If they are the premises of your argument then i would have serious reservations about the conlclusion that you draw - that private development is the last hope for the area.
I am only guessing, but i would say you havent’ been past Hualien city before - you should try it - there is still a lot of beautiful, unspoilt coastline there - catch it before it goes.
And I assure you that these new developments are not replacing nuclear waste disposals and factories. The site of the hotel, for example, used to be an idylic, very well run campround.

But instead of building these giant concrete monstrosities that you think are so wonderful for the environment (that you have never seen), how about this for a crazy, radical idea? As it is the people’s land (after all, the govt is not some private independent conglomerate, it is only a representation of the people), why not build a public park there, with say, a bit of grass, some nice local trees, some trash cans, hell, let’s have a public shower and changeroom while we’re at it and a few cool cafes and what not surrounding it.

[quote=“smellybumlove”]im gonna get flamed, but you know what they say, opinions are like assholes…

Sure they are going about it wrong, but i cant see how it would do any harm to the enviroment… quite the opposite in fact.[/quote]

I don’t think anyone is going to flame you so much as shake their head at your ignorence. As you drive to Hualien those factories are actually cement factories owned largely by state run China Cement. So much for the locals shitting.

As Dulan has said, the nuclear waste was imposed on the east coast by a lying CKK government. Locals have been fighting for years to have it removed.

One of the big controversies regarding the Three Fairies development is that locals are not allowed to make any chages to their own property but the government is allowing a big developer to use public land to make a hotel.

Shanyuan Beach was also a great example of a local community beach, with a small campground, restaurant and so on. It was locally run, and the benefits were going to the community. Then the developers came in, tore everything down and from what I have heard actualy threw the waste into the sea.