Camping equipment?

anyone got the skinny on camping gear…reasonably priced thanks…in taipei? tents, bags, accessories and such…

thanks, john

Found

thanks. shinmen night mrkt…got it. ive seen the stuff at rt mart and while the accessories arent bad, the tent and sleeping bags look thin for winter camping, given this weather. dont wanna freeze my marshmallows.:))

thanks a bunch
peace

My guess is the previous poster meant “ShiLin” night market, since the best camping stores I’ve seen are, indeed, near there. But, Maybe I’m wrong, and that’s all good too. Anyway, You can take the MRT to either JianTan or ShiLin Station to get near it…but, I guess the Shi Lin stop would be closer, albeit harder to describe where you need to go. If you get off at JianTan, when you leave the station, there’ll be a fairly busy street on your left, follow that in the direction of the ShiLin MRT stop for a good mile (1.6KM)and it’s really close to the “Condom Store”, and a few Skateboarding shops…when you see a fence on the left that’s all graffittied-up, but the graffitti says things like “No Gangs”, “No Drugs”, and has the Taiwanese Police symbol on it…you’re getting real warm. I’m pretty sure the store has a big “The North Face” logo outside, so, you can’t miss it.

On Zhongshan North Road just by the Taipei Station there is a whole strip of outdoor shops, between Civic Boulevard and Zhongxiao Road. Some of them are very good and have gear for serious outdoors people, and others are more for tourist kind of travelling gear. Prices are pretty good.

great. thanks all. :notworthy:

Just landed in Taipei - seeking cheap camping gear (therm-a-rest mattress & backpacking tent) & powerbars. Thanks for your help!

Don’t know about “cheap”, but Zhongshan N. Rd., just to the north of Zhongxiao (near the Taipei Main Train Station), there are a couple of outdoor equipment stores, including Deng Shan You ( = “mountaineer’s friend”) and A-Er-Pi-Si ( = “Alps”).

I’ll probably be at the TPE train sta. checking the area for stores with

1. hiking/camping gear
  2. leather tailors
  3. t-shirt supply and printing

Does anyone have info on which alleys to check for this kind of stuff? I’m not familiar with the area. Thanks!!!

Out of TPE main station just walk down the road to chungshan north rd, turn left. There are several camping stores there…

But, none that I like, as they are very expensive and have a limited supply of stuff.

Thanks JDS! I had heard that there was more competition between the stores there, so prices would be lower; the discussion was focused on hiking boots.

I forgot to mention that my main target is hiking boots and dry-tech clothing…

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Thanks JDS! I had heard that there was more competition between the stores there, so prices would be lower; the discussion was focused on hiking boots.

I forgot to mention that my main target is hiking boots and dry-tech clothing…[/quote]

That stuff,you will find. Tents…no way.

Yeah, I’m gonna hit Costco for tents, Coleman 4 man for 1,700NT …

Costco has a good small cooler too…for 600 clams. I haven’t see the blue ice things there, thought people have said they are… ??

DB, Giordano sells dry tech t-shirts now too. Might want to check it out price wise. Also the Neihu B&Q complex has a Nike outlet if I am not mistaken. Lots of dry tech stuff to be had. And name brand, too! :laughing:

Also, don’t forget to get some good socks. Reinforced heel and toes, material that wicks moisture away.

For the long term, think about buying from here:

mec.ca

It’s a long running Canadian equipment store with good prices, excellent stuff, and 1 week shipping to Taiwan. I’ve never ordered from them online but usually wait till I go back to Vancouver. Howver, I just discovered that you pay no Canadian taxes if you order internationally. Shipping costs are not much more than the sales tax we pay (maybe 20% of your total depending how much you order) so it is worthwhile ordering here and not waiting.

Cool, thanks! I’ll check those out.

Anyone know if it’s possible to rent camping equipment?
Otherwise, anyone know where I could buy cheap camping equipment?
Thankya kindly,
-Mike

[quote=“TravelerMike”]Anyone know if it’s possible to rent camping equipment?
Otherwise, anyone know where I could buy cheap camping equipment?
Thankya kindly,
-Mike[/quote]

Depends where you wanna go Mike. Many campgrounds rent the tents, some even set it up for you!

Or do you want to go out off the beaten path?

Don’t know about renting but you can check out:

Carrefore
Zhongshan north rd/zhongxiao intersetion
Xiyi rd(go past jianguo rd) going in the direction of Taipei 101.

These are places that carry camping things

Best of luck :rainbow: