Camping equipment?

xinyi road between jienguo and fuxing is the place for camping gear.

some other spots around taipei main station as well.

Everything you need…And them some, can be found here:

www.metroasis.com.tw

They’ve opened a new store in Taipei on Chungshan N.Road Sec 1. The address for the new store is on the website. If you like river trekking, then check out their 299NT low top felt bottom booties…They stick to slippery rocks like glue and they have good size runs.

Beauty. I’ve been looking for Macpac gear. Anyone seen it? Sorry, but metroasis isn’t opening in my pda right now, a pologies if they carry Macpac.

Should I wait to buy a sleeping bag in TW or bring one with me? I’d hate to get to Taiwan and then buy an imported bag… I’ll be hiking/camping around the island, but based in Taichung.

Thanks much…

If you just want a basic bag, they have inexpensive ones here in the hypermarts as well as the camping supply stores. For higher-end bags, I’ll let others answer.

Thanks dragonbones…
I’m looking at the Slumberjack Kepler 20° Mummy, in case that helps in anyone’s reply.

not a bad choice but perhaps a little warm for what’s needed here. you basically are not allowed into most of the highest areas in snow season so you won’t encounter temps much below freezing. The Kepler is a synthetic fill so better for taiwan.

A cheap Kepler: campmor.stores.yahoo.net/68580.html 70 bucks or so.

Not many high-end bags made here, but plenty of cheap ones in dept stores. The high end ones may be more expensive than you will find in the USA or Europe, as numbers sold are small.

Tip: if you do extended walks, you should avoid a down bag, and get a synthetic instead. down bags don’t like the rain, and of course it always rains here in the mountains. a wet or damp down bag is a very cold down bag.

Not to mention the damp can make them permanently smelly, and no-one likes smelly things.

have you had your bath today, Iris hstu?

[quote=“ichbinjenny”]Should I wait to buy a sleeping bag in TW or bring one with me? I’d hate to get to Taiwan and then buy an imported bag… I’ll be hiking/camping around the island, but based in Taichung.

Thanks much…[/quote]

I bought my sleeping bag at Carrefour months ago, it is the best sleeping bag I have ever owned. Really warm, and it folds up into a small pouch. It cost me $200nt. Cheap!!

Can anyone recommend a bag for me? I need one for bicycle touring next summer in Germany. Keep in mind the smaller the better for luggage reasons. It shouldn’t need to go very cold, I reckon on 5-10 degrees at lowest, but maybe someone here will know better. I used a 10 degree down bag for my last adventure around Holland and that was great, and small.

Anyone know of a good place to buy camping gear? Tents, sleeping mats etc. I’m aware of the shops near the Taipei Main station but was looking for something a little cheaper without sacrificing too much in quality.

The blow up mat query doesn’t really belong in the travel section - not me traveling, at any rate. Its for my apartment when visitors come.

Cheers

Try putting a wanted ad on Taiwanted and Tealit… you might be able to buy something from someone who is moving…

Have you been to Metro Oasis? About the same (quality, pricing) as the ones near Main Station exit 7 (although I far prefer the shops near main station. There are two in particular that are very professional. After you turn left around the corner from the MRT exit 7, I think they are the third and fourth shops.).

Costco has sweet blow-up double mattresses.

They also have some nifty tents - big and small. We just got one!

Good suggestions, all. Thanks. I should check out the wanted ads and the great mecca of Costco. I’m always told that what I want is there. Does it cost much to get a card?

Cheers.

[quote=“Dial”]Good suggestions, all. Thanks. I should check out the wanted ads and the great mecca of Costco. I’m always told that what I want is there. Does it cost much to get a card?

Cheers.[/quote]

$1200

Yo-Yo in Shindian, over Shindian bridge, across Minchuan road intersection and just a few shops down on the right.

MetrOasis is highly recommended.

Excuse my ignorance, but where exactly is MetroOasis?