Camping in Neiwan

The cabins did not look damaged, at least not the old ones, who were in OK condition. The windows were open, and the bedding was visible neatly stacked on the beds.

The owner’s truck was there, but he was nowhere to be seen. However, it looked as if he had been there recently, and he might just have been out for a few minutes when we made our quick stop.

No news about the conditions on the mountain, but some landslides were visible, and the road toward Baling was hit by a rather severe landslide after the village with the camping ground. However, I saw several cars drive over the bridge and up the hellish road toward Baling going over the ridge. It was concrete and mud in some places in June - wonder how it is now, but it might be open a fair bit toward Baling.

I asked the locals about the road conditions toward Taigang and Smangus. They told me that the roads were open. That said, there’s likely to be some damage, apart from the completely destroyed road between Sanguang and Baling, which they believed would not reopen in several months.

All said, if I owned a white Mercedes E with a lowered wheel base and low profile tyres, I would think a few times before taking it up there.

In a month or 2 it will be feasible though.

The cabins did not look damaged, at least not the old ones, who were in OK condition. The windows were open, and the bedding was visible neatly stacked on the beds.

The owner’s truck was there, but he was nowhere to be seen. However, it looked as if he had been there recently, and he might just have been out for a few minutes when we made our quick stop.

No news about the conditions on the mountain, but some landslides were visible, and the road toward Baling was hit by a rather severe landslide after the village with the camping ground. However, I saw several cars drive over the bridge and up the hellish road toward Baling going over the ridge. It was concrete and mud in some places in June - wonder how it is now, but it might be open a fair bit toward Baling.

I asked the locals about the road conditions toward Taigang and Smangus. They told me that the roads were open. That said, there’s likely to be some damage, apart from the completely destroyed road between Sanguang and Baling, which they believed would not reopen in several months.

All said, if I owned a white Mercedes E with a lowered wheel base and low profile tyres, I would think a few times before taking it up there.

In a month or 2 it will be feasible though.[/quote]

Do they still not have any signs saying the road to Baling is closed? If you want to see some really impressive slide action, just continue past the campground toward Baling. One of the slides that is still passable came down from the very top of the ridge…It’s bloody huge, but nothing compared to the one that closed the road. The reason it’s going to take so long is that it came down where the road is fairly wide, and instead of taking the road out, the rubble just piled up. The road is now blocked by a hill of debris no less than 100 feet high by several hundred long, behind which the road did collapse (on the Baling side) down the mountain.

At the campground there is another road that goes into Baling on the right side of the valley…I didn’t check to see if it was open last time, but most of it was dirt before the typhoon. This road is not well traveled anymore, but before the 120 was completed it was the only way into Baling from Neiwan. There are several very cool aboriginal villages up there that rarely receive visitors…Wonder if it’s still open?

[quote=“MJB”]
Do they still not have any signs saying the road to Baling is closed?[/quote]

Didn’t see any. The road toward Baling is open from the village with the campground on, but the first sections have been dug out of a landslide. Did not feel like going down the road, as I could feel that I messed up the suspension already.

As I said:

Several cars, did not ask in the village itself as it was getting late and I wanted to get over the landslides around Naluo before it got dark. You are hereby invited to go on an expedition to find out if it’s open next weekend, if the weather is OK.

We will drive your car from the campground on. :smiling_imp:

Great time had by all…

I’ll let a more seasoned writer describe some of the more off the wall events of the trip.

Thanks everyone, I had a blast.

Who wants to talk about the drunk atayal and the musket?

V and I had a great time. MJB, Namahottie, Dog, Hexuan, Stan, Alleycat, Mr. He, BareWitness!, and various significant others - it was a fun time. Forumosans know how to have fun in the woods… :wink:

I won’t touch kava kava again ever… The foulest beverage I have ever enjoyed.

And thank you everyone, it was great to be up there, even though it was somewhat cold at night.

I hope that Dog, Hexuan, Stan and barewitness!made it to Carnage in time for your sunday roast…

We hung around a little longer and were rewarded with a beautiful day up in the mountains.

UPDATE on the road condition.

First of all, the road all the way up to where it starts to go up toward the Yulao pass is fixed. Still places where parts of the road it gone, but aminently passable, even in a low rider.

The switchback up the mountain which was gravel last time is still gravelly… they are rebuilding, and it might be OK in june. It is passable though.

The worst places between Yulao an the campground have been fixed, apart from the one next to the campground, where the bright over the small side stream is, and one ghoulish nearly gone switchback. However, it’s passable now, and they are working on the retaining wall. Expect that to be fixed more or less before the camp trip.

so in total, great deal better than when a guy drove his 50 cc scoot up there, but not as good as back before the big typhoon.

Hi Chaps,

Does anyone know if the No. 7 route through to Baling and the campground is open again yet?

According to the locals, it will take another year, but there’s another way, which is open, but not among the best in the world.

Let’s see… You come from Neiwan? Fidn the campsite, continue straight for 50 meters to the road splits. Then turn right. That road is open, and it’s not very good, gravel in places, and concrete or asphalt in others.

The locals ride scooters on at least part of it, though.

From the Baling side… After you pass the 2 tunnel/bridge combo, and the building site for the new bridge, you will after 1-2 km have a road leading downhill to the right. Get on that, if you cross the river shortly afterwards, you are on the right track.

Could someone please post phone number for the campsite at Neiwan? thanks…
Seems the “Forumosa Goes Camping” thread is gonzo.

0933 957 810

(chinese speaking).

Also, their website:

mapleridge.idv.tw/

Update on the road conditions around the campsite.

First of all, the roads leading from Neiwan to Maple Ridge campsite are all fully restored - no more gravel when going there.

Secondly, the road from the campsite to baling/route 7 is open again. It’s not smooth all the way and they are still fixing it big time, however you can at least drive on it with a bit of care. I did so yesterday in an old nissan.

When going on that road it’s easyt o see why it took them a fair bit more than 1 year to get the road back together again. Man, huge washouts - they have given up on repairing them in places and opted for building bridges instead.

On another note, then I followed the 120 to its terminus yesterday. Contrary to what MJB claims, you get off the 120 and get on the zhu60 right after Jianshi proper. It seems that they are building a tunnel through the mountain there, so we will be bypassing the Yulao mountain pass alltogether. That would at the very least cut 30 minutes off the drive. Wonder when it will be finishied though.

I’ve been trying to contact this place. Does anyone know if the place is still open?

Thanks