Camping overnight on northern beaches

Anyone know if possible to pitch a tent after dark Saturday night on a beach? Fulong? baishawan? Shalun?

1 Like

A few years back we used to do this regularly. Nobody seemed to care at the time, except the local stray dog gangs. I had to wrestle my dinner back from one of them, but then I just gave him some leftovers and he let me pet him over some beers.

4 Likes

And then what happened?

I drive from Keelung towards Yilan most weekends and see people camping at each car park, viewing area. I feel it’s not a big deal just be polite.

4 Likes

I adopted him and his sister. Now they get their own dinner, and their own beers.

2 Likes

I heard in the old days, those dogs become dinner…

1 Like

If you move to China they’re still on the menu!

1 Like

Used to do this all the time in Fulong, never been bothered.

1 Like

i think its illegal in national parks, so doubke check you arent camping in the wrong place.

No problem at Waiao

4 Likes

Southern beaches around Tainan are full of snakes at night. I’ve seen a cobra once. Mostly, first thing in the mornings you can see the tracks in the sand. Some real monsters, too.

2 Likes

Wai 'Ao Beach. You have a no control ticket exit right in WaiAo train station, cross the street and all beach.

If “full of snakes” means only seen once, i think your chances are more than fine for safety :slight_smile:

Just dont mess up lands, illegally camp in parks (they have signs at entranceways now) etc. Taiwan is pretty relaxed. Even to the entitled pigs that leave their trash everywhere and rape the area for bbqs. Be better than that though and worst case scenario you get asked to leave and you smile and say ok…everything will be ok.

in my day (20th century) beaches were patrolled at night by soldiers with m16 and nobody was allowed on them after dark. Guess its ok now.

1 Like

no, they’re nocturnal. While ive only seen two snakes on the beach, it’s the tracks they leave behind on the sand in the morning. i used to walk dog daily in the mornings on the beach. Trust me, there’s a lot out on the beach at night.
Btw, my 2c. If you don’t believe, cool.