Campsites in Taiwan

this area is so large, if you want to avoid crowded people, this is a good place to stay two or three days,maybe you can ask the tour guide. i think he is happy to solve your prolem.

We stayed at this campsite just south of Kending right next to the Eluanbi lighthouse for a couple of days over CNY. It’s a great place when it’s empty, if a little pedestrian. But it becomes hell when there are a lot of people. (BTW, the foreigners always go to the back of the campground where it’s a little more private - the Taiwanese like to camp right next to the bathrooms, it seems.)

I think for newbie campers who want the amenities then this isn’t a bad place…

I lost 2 of my favorite campsites in one year…One to last summer’s Typhoon and the other to the Kenting Park Authority. The last one was especially painful, as we’ve camped there every Chinese New Year for that last 6 years, and off and on for another 5 before that. It was perfect in every way…Private beach, large grassy meadow next to the ocean, a fresh water spring and very private. All this only 20 minutes from town. This year on the 4th day of our trip, a local park ranger came by and told us camping is no longer permitted here… I begged, argued, cajoled, prostrated myself…No use. Sadly, we had to pack up and headed over to the campground Maoman mentioned in the above post. We scooted out of their when it started filling up with people and found another spot further up the east coast. It had no beach but was really beautiful.

One thing I’m finding is that the days of camping anywhere you want may be drawing to a close… :frowning:

[quote=“sandman”]I prefer the other coast. The Shanyuan beach has a nice campsite but no hotel accommodation that I’m aware of. Camping under the pines right on a golden sand beach. Good showers/toilets and there’s Zorba Garden Italian restaurant at the far end.
About 10 minutes drive north of Hsiao Yeliou, a little bit north of Taidong.
Very quiet compared to Kending.[/quote]

Soryr, but I like this one, so I copied and pasted it here.

Want to go there, Zorba Garden must have a web site of some kind?

[quote=“Mr He”][quote=“sandman”]I prefer the other coast. The Shanyuan beach has a nice campsite but no hotel accommodation that I’m aware of. Camping under the pines right on a golden sand beach. Good showers/toilets and there’s Zorba Garden Italian restaurant at the far end.
About 10 minutes drive north of Hsiao Yeliou, a little bit north of Taidong.
Very quiet compared to Kending.[/quote]

Soryr, but I like this one, so I copied and pasted it here.

Want to go there, Zorba Garden must have a web site of some kind?[/quote]
It does. www.zorbagarden.net but it seems to be down.

I don’t have a scooter or car. Anyone know of any campsites that I can get to by train/bus?

By train: Fulong, sooo easy
By bus: Fulong, Kenting. Just about anything mentioned, the variance being how long of a walk you have afterwards, but then that’s what taxis are for.

A favorite of mine that you most defiantly require transport for is in Nan’ao (that would be south of Su’ao on the east coast). While the name escapes me, its the only one in its area. Heading towards Hualian on the highway, you’ll past a 7-11 and a grocery store. Just before you go over the small bridge after the '7 take the left (very small) that follows the “cannal” type thing heading towards the ocean. Eventually you’ll hit a slightly larger and raised road, head south over the river and keep right the whole way. 7-10 mins later the campsite will be on the left with a metal barriare and security pillbox.

The place has numerous tent sights in a tree’d setting and a circle of lean-tos for rent. Large central cooking area, showers, washrooms, the works. It also has an active farm on sight, with different produce, and a large “nature walkway”, which while very appealing to taiwanese isn’t much special.

The drawcard is the natural hotsprings and waterfalls abounding up river (have to drive), and a natural spring fed lake on the way there, along with some spectacular coastal scenery, kayaking ops (bring equipment), and good coastal fishing. Hikes can be made anywhere and are always interesting.

None of the sights are in any guidebook I’ve seen, but just ask any local and they’ll set you straight, particularily one icecream shop (just north of the 7-11) vendor who has photobooks and handdraw maps for your pleasure. Please make sure to atleast buy some of his dessert for his generousity, its good.

If you don’t want to go too far out, but you still want to get the hell out of the city, try BaiShaWan on the North Coast. It’s about 40 minute bus ride from Danshui MRT station. You can camp on the beach there. It’s nice and big, and the water is clean, as well as the beach. If you want privacy you can go way down to the far end. There are supplies available there, and showers. For exact details, look up the thread about surfing in Taiwan. It has details about bus, scooter, and driving.

[quote=“Freakin’ Amazing”]
A favorite of mine that you most defiantly require transport for is in Nan’ao (that would be south of Su’ao on the east coast). [/quote]

Dear Freakin’

Do you have a phone no for this place?

Or, is this the place:

http://nanao-farm.e-land.gov.tw/html/link2.htm

Would love to go.

[quote=“Mr He”][quote=“Freakin’ Amazing”]
A favorite of mine that you most defiantly require transport for is in Nan’ao (that would be south of Su’ao on the east coast). [/quote]

Dear Freakin’

Or, is this the place:

Would love to go.[/quote]

Yeah, looks great.

By train: Fulong, sooo easy
By bus: Fulong, Kending. Just about anything mentioned, the variance being how long of a walk you have afterwards, but then that’s what taxis are for.

A favorite of mine that you most defiantly require transport for is in Nan’ao (that would be south of Su’ao on the east coast). While the name escapes me, its the only one in its area. Heading towards Hualian on the highway, you’ll past a 7-11 and a grocery store. Just before you go over the small bridge after the '7 take the left (very small) that follows the “cannal” type thing heading towards the ocean. Eventually you’ll hit a slightly larger and raised road, head south over the river and keep right the whole way. 7-10 mins later the campsite will be on the left with a metal barriare and security pillbox.

The place has numerous tent sights in a tree’d setting and a circle of lean-tos for rent. Large central cooking area, showers, washrooms, the works. It also has an active farm on sight, with different produce, and a large “nature walkway”, which while very appealing to Taiwanese isn’t much special.

The drawcard is the natural hotsprings and waterfalls abounding up river (have to drive), and a natural spring fed lake on the way there, along with some spectacular coastal scenery, kayaking ops (bring equipment), and good coastal fishing. Hikes can be made anywhere and are always interesting.

None of the sights are in any guidebook I’ve seen, but just ask any local and they’ll set you straight, particularily one icecream shop (just north of the 7-11) vendor who has photobooks and handdraw maps for your pleasure. Please make sure to atleast buy some of his dessert for his generousity, its good.[/quote]

There are gems both north (Dong-ao) and south of Nan ao that have beach access and you can throw up a tent anywhere you can find some trees…Dong ao will require 4-wheel drive, the other I haven’t tried yet but looks like this:

And the whole area is a kayaker’s wet dream… :sunglasses: Some pics from Mark Westerns round the island journey last year taken between Nan ao and Dong ao:

[quote=“Mr He”][quote=“Freakin’ Amazing”]

Dear Freakin’

Or, is this the place:

Would love to go.[/quote]

Yup that’s it. Or at least part of it was, looks soo much bigger on the website map then when I was there, but then its been over a year maybe they’ve expanded? :idunno:

At any rate, theres oodles of stuff to do therein for all the “taiwanese” campers out there, and the Nan’ao area, as MJB as also pointed out, has even more off the beaten path stuff for the more traditional camping. Pleases myself and the gf at the same time!

Forgot to mention that there is a supermarket, and a SMALL nightmarket around the statue (guanyin?) square, in town. We usually bring our own food to avoid the limited selection.

Just looking for any information on Fulong (price, capacity, r they open, things to do, where in Fulong is the campground)

Thanks,

jeff

[quote=“jeff_29”]Just looking for any information on Fulong (price, capacity, r they open, things to do, where in Fulong is the campground)

Thanks,

jeff[/quote]

The campground is just north of the beach. You can’t miss it on the right as you head north. A four person tent site is $800. If you have your own tent it should be around $150-200. A-frame cabins for two go fo $2300.

It was open when I passed by the area on Tuesday.

[quote]I went to Taian today with the wife.

The best way to get there is to take highway 3 to the Miaoli/Houlong interchange and then exit and head east on the number 6. But don’t stay long on the 6. Follow the signs to the new 72 expressway. This way you will avoid Miaoli City altogether. The 72 is great. A fast straight road to the number 3 provincial highway. At the 3 provincial turn right (the 72 ends here) and drive a km or so until you see the turnoff to Taian. Expect to take about 2 hours from Taipei.

The campsite is open any time. [/quote]

Sounds great. Exactly what i’m after.
However, for those without cars, is arranging transportation to and from Taian easy from Miaoli. Has anyone light to shed here?

From Miaoli train station take a bus to Dahu. Get off in Wenshui, which is just around where the 3 provincial and county road 62 (which takes you into Taian) intersect. From Wenshui you’ll have to take a taxi in. If you call the Tenglong Resort where the campsite is, they might pick you up.

See the thread on Taian for info on Tenglong.

I went to Tenglong a few weeks ago.

The huts look very nice.

If the campground is representative of the “standard” taiwanese campground, I might stick to huts in the future.

In other words, the campground is not well maintained, and the equipment there is somewhat thin on the ground.

So, what would be the best camp site to go to with an 8 year old boy?
Considering:
a) we travel by motobike. (so can’t carry a whole lot of food and drinks)
b) we have sleeping bags and tent.
c) we live in Taipei.

I am looking at something for this coming week end.

Longmen would be fine for you. Thinking of going there myself actually.

Longmen? do you have any pictures/ Website? directions?
Do you want to join us this week end? Anybody else for that matter? Mr JD Smith maybe? how about you 914? that could be a round 2 for you with Sean?