Campsites in Taiwan

I am very slowly making pages of the best places I have stayed at. One of these happened to be a campsite I really only visited, but would deffinately stay at next time I go to Sun-Moon-Lake. I’m sorry if this has been brought up already, but you can check out the site I made for it. Yua-Tan Campsite

Do you have a phone no on them?

Looks like a good place.

we visited a new campsite in pinglin last weekend, had a great time. they take people tubing on the pinglin river too. not sure if it has a name yet but this is the number of the owner 0911126337 he’s a foreigner. they do pickups from pinglin town.

What do you mean tubing? Surely they aren’t pulling you along with a motorized boat? Or do you mean they take you up river with inner tubes and you float down?

[quote=“Mr He”]Do you have a phone no on them?

Looks like a good place.[/quote]

I think I either didn’t get one or that I lost in the first place. Sorry.

I’ll try and get one though.

[quote=“sulavaca”][quote=“Mr He”]Do you have a phone no on them?

Looks like a good place.[/quote]

I think I either didn’t get one or that I lost in the first place. Sorry.

I’ll try and get one though.[/quote]

No need to worry - I found no less than 2 campsites in the area. One of them must be the right one.

The first is Rockcamp - rock-camp.com.tw/

The second one Songhu Camp; people-home.com/camp/index1.htm

I think you went to the first one.

I am going there next week - the first one.

A nice website that collects all campsites in Taiwan. Please do ask your Chinese friends to translate that for you. :slight_smile:

awem.com.tw/24.htm

BTW, one hotest campsite to recommend in Taipei County is Queen Village,
queen-village.com/pag_06.html.

Each campsite has its own water, electrical supply, 24 hours hot water. Also you can access to wireless internet and even watch cable TV. Perfect isn’t it?!

皇后鎮森林:台北縣三峽鎮竹崙里竹崙路95巷1號 TEL : 02-26682591-2 FAX : 02-26681563

Does anyone know are the campsites in taiwan open all year round?

That certainly depends. A place like Longmen near Fulong beach is likely to be open in in the summer, IE from say April to October, as 10C and fog is not ideal camping weather for your average Taiwanese camper.

However, if you go a bit south, to say Sun Moon Lake, Zhiben, Kenting, Green Island etc, you are likely to find that they are open all year - I know that the Kenting campsites are doing a roaring trade over CNY, which is in January/February.

It would be prudent to call ahead, though.

Actually Longmen is open all year round too.

Hey, sorry i didnt see the question about tubing in the previous post. it`s whitewater tubing. you can check it out at www.cloud9tw.com. we opened a couple of months ago.

I did the tubing with cloud9 last summer. It was great. More shooting rapids than a gentle float down the river. I recommend it for a good day out.

Brian

The campground at Hsiao Yehliu in Taidong County is excellent. We camped there last week.

Fulong is superb, but overpriced for a campground in my opinion.

Since Cloud 9 is a little shy about tooting his own horn, I’ll add my recommendation. Chris and I went to check out the Cloud 9 campsite last week. Excellent location right by the clean swimmable beishi river in Pinglin. A nice big pool right off the campsite. Nice shady grassy area to camp and they restrict the numbers to 20 I think to keep it peaceful. Cooking facilities in the main building and even a lodge style room with fireplace. Groups of 10 or more can rent this room. Hiking trails nearby.

English breakfasts are available as is coffee and tea and beer (very reasonable NT50 for a can of Taiwan’s finest).

They do inner tubing and kayaking (lessons available) and have a lot of connections with local groups for climbing and other activities.

Nice place, nice people, and I look forward to camping here in summer. Weekends only for now.

Folks, if you have a car this place is only about 40 minutes from Taipei through the new tunnel. Taxi will cost NT600.

No, I’m not getting a commission on this, I just think a lot of people would be interested in this kind of place and I hope it succeeds. :wink:

Ok, cloud 9 - it’s on my list. Driving directions?

Ha, I was thinking of you when I wrote that.

Directions: it’s a little tricky. It’s off the bei 42 that runs along the north of the Beishi River. But then it’s down a side road and you have to pass a bunch of other site, make a turn, and so on. The owner, Andre, says just to call when you get to Pinglin and get him to meet you and show you the way the first time. 10 minutes from the 7-11. The number is on the website:

www.cloud9tw.com

I think I need to go there.

By train: Fulong, sooo easy
By bus: Fulong, Kending. Just about anything mentioned, the variance being how long of a walk you have afterwards, but then that’s what taxis are for.

A favorite of mine that you most defiantly require transport for is in Nan’ao (that would be south of Su’ao on the east coast). While the name escapes me, its the only one in its area. Heading towards Hualian on the highway, you’ll past a 7-11 and a grocery store. Just before you go over the small bridge after the '7 take the left (very small) that follows the “cannal” type thing heading towards the ocean. Eventually you’ll hit a slightly larger and raised road, head south over the river and keep right the whole way. 7-10 mins later the campsite will be on the left with a metal barriare and security pillbox.

The place has numerous tent sights in a tree’d setting and a circle of lean-tos for rent. Large central cooking area, showers, washrooms, the works. It also has an active farm on sight, with different produce, and a large “nature walkway”, which while very appealing to Taiwanese isn’t much special.

The drawcard is the natural hotsprings and waterfalls abounding up river (have to drive), and a natural spring fed lake on the way there, along with some spectacular coastal scenery, kayaking ops (bring equipment), and good coastal fishing. Hikes can be made anywhere and are always interesting.

None of the sights are in any guidebook I’ve seen, but just ask any local and they’ll set you straight, particularily one icecream shop (just north of the 7-11) vendor who has photobooks and handdraw maps for your pleasure. Please make sure to atleast buy some of his dessert for his generousity, its good.[/quote]

Okay, I’m digging this one up as I also checked it out recently. Very nice manicured campsite. But the area around it is very wild especially on the west side of the highway as you head up the rivers. I have been three times and every time I have seen aboriginal hunters carrying dead pigs on their backs. Also hear pigs in the bushes.

You actually don’t need a car to get here. Take a train to Wuta station, one past Nanao. From the station head down to the hwy and turn right. Then cross the bridge and take the first left. Walk along the road for about 1km until you see the entrance to the campsite. About 2km from the train station.

If you are driving turn left after the bridge around the 134.5km mark. FA directions are a little more complicated than they need be. :wink:

You can rent bikes at the campsite for getting around. Drive up the Nanao North River to the end and explore the river and canyon. My god what a gorgeous site. The walls of the gorge look like they rise straight up 1000 feet.

Freakin Amazing. Thanks for the tip on this place.

This campsite is now officially closed. The owner died.

By the end of the year Kenting National Park should have bought the land around Baisha Bay. They will tear down the private campsites and build their own. Should be a lot nicer and the beach environment will be a lot better too.