Can a baby be born after the death of its mother?

1. A person born after the death of his (her) father … or mother … who was, at the time of his (her) death, a citizen of the Republic of China.

Can a baby be born after it’s mother died?

Maybe if the mother was brain dead and on life support…in order to give the baby a chance to survive.

Or she can die during the labour.

Ok but officially dead?

one can be officially brain dead…

didn’t you go to the HH?

Yes. Bodies can be kept functioning on life support machines even after they have been declared brain dead.

Doctors will sometimes do this to keep organs donated for transplant healthy while they prepare the recipient for surgery.

Generally as far as a baby is concerned as long as blood is flowing to the placenta it is OK.

Alternatively if a mother is killed suddenly it is still possible to deliver a healthy baby by cesarian section if done quickly. I remember reading from here a month or two ago, of a woman who murdered a mother and cut the baby from her womb and kept it.

Edit:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer … s=79135768
Shows that it is possible in theory.
“the mother suddenly died” sounds like a conveinient way of overcoming the moral and social complications of this issue.

Is it right to keep a dead body alive for months to save a baby?
Is it right to keep a dead body alive for a few hours to save a life via transplant?
If you answer yes to both of these, then you have to answer
Is it right to keep a dead body alive for months to save a life via transplant?
Suddenly you’ve gone from saving a child to organ farms, halls and halls of dead bodies hooked up to life support machines waiting for a recipient.

You aviod going down that road by not asking whether or not the mother is dead until after the baby is born.

A pregnant woman was killed in a car crash in Canberra. The hospial was very close, the baby delvered by ceasarean section and lived - sadly only for a few days. So it can happen!

In actual life (dead) I think they wouldn’t register the dead of a woman until she gave labour. It will probably never happen as they put in the law.

While I do think it’s possible, as said above by previous posters, that a child can be born “post-mater-mortem”, I am however rather sceptical whether any dead pregnant woman could go into labour … :wink:

I’d say it’s about as unlikely as Birnam Wood coming to Dunsinane.

In the article I posted it says the baby was delivered through the vagina. Labor is inititated by hormornal signals that come from the baby, and not the mother.

In the article I posted it says the baby was delivered through the vagina. Labor is inititated by hormornal signals that come from the baby, and not the mother.[/quote]

The mother gave birth in coma, she died 24 hours later.

If a baby were born on an aeroplane crossing time zones, wouldn’t this meet the requirements of the original proposition?

“birth mother” or “life mother”? life mother provides the egg. the birth mother carries the fetus. if the life mother (for conversational sake a taiwanese) died while the baby is still in the birth mother (let’s say a vietnamese) does the baby get taiwanese citizenship from the dead life mother or alien worker status (unpermitted, subjecte to repatriation to a land it has never been before?) from the surviving “life” mother?

Yeh, I know., and I’ve already commented upon the time that the woman ‘died’ in my original post.

The points are:
Brain dead bodies can be kept to function with life support machines.
Babies continue to develop healthily in mothers on life support machines.
Babies can be delivered naturally or by caesarean from comatose mothers.

What isn’t confirmed is whether or not being brain dead as opposed to comatose somehow affects the development of the baby. As it has been proven to not affect other organs it is reasonable to assume it would not affect a baby either.

However, there are moral considerations that make it better to leave that point ambiguous.

In the article I posted it says the baby was delivered through the vagina. Labor is inititated by hormornal signals that come from the baby, and not the mother.[/quote]

Don’t go all crazy on me Rikky, I was responding to the previous poster “belgian pie” which, I believe, was abundantly made clear by quoting his entire post in which, incidentally, s/he mentioned “labour” …

Furthermore, the use of a winky: :wink: should have signalled that my response was not entirely serious, but thanks for clearing up any possible mis-conceptions regarding the magic of child-birth which, by the way, I have experienced twice so far … :raspberry:

Well it’s just all about how they stated it in the law in Taiwan. Is it OK the way they did it or should they put it different.

I know it can be done ofter a mothers dead but than they should put it different.