Can a drink driving conviction lead to the labor department canceling an ARC?

Exactly. If it is like that, fair is fair. But claiming that you made a mistake when it is actually theirs -as they have done with ARCs before- and leaving you stranded, that is not kosher. I mean like names or forgetting to ask some data or a seal or anything. Yes, I’ve heard of them pulling such antics. And by the I mean NIA, in Taiwan. US is US. Taiwan is Taiwan.

To add some perspective to OP’s story, here is a link to another drunk driving case involving a foreign APRC holder. The foreigner was not sentenced to one year or more and despite of a previous drunk driving incident, the court concluded that his presence in Taiwan does not pose a risk to public safety. The foreigner in this case was not deported.
http://jirs.judicial.gov.tw/FJUD/index_1_S.aspx?p=mADYmww21yXuUZyYd%2F3tj0UOAH%2FsGWiSTMIGLWORqsc%3D

I also came across the case of an English teacher on an ARC sentenced to less than a year for drunk driving. He was likewise not deported. http://jirs.judicial.gov.tw/FJUD/index_1_S.aspx?p=MUp3STaznEuowaRHEoe4FP4H0Li%2F%2BGWYlDf1Mir%2B9Lg%3D

@OP: Do you at least know the court, i.e. Shilin District Court, Taipei District Court etc. ? Your initial post does not make much sense considering the word of the law and my brief research in recent drunk driving cases involving foreigners.

I am beginning to suspect his bosses told him the MOL or some other entity cancelled his work visa/doe snot allow them to rehire him as a way to avoid responsibilities…

…especially since they (his employers) must have already cancelled his work permit, and hence we have the 14 day dedline…

…forgetting he is allowed an extension “to look for another job”, unless he really has deportation orders, written on paper and delivered by FAP.

I would have the guy check with NIA in person, not through employers or girlfriend or whatever and get a clearer picture. Right now it is murky.

I understand your point about blaming the applicant when it’s the NIA’s fault. But I still think it’s related to the fact that they really don’t want foreigners as Taiwanese citizens, so they intentionally do that stuff.

Wish I could disagree with you, but there are days I simply can’t.

Yet Internations survey ranks Taiwan as the friendliest country for expats, followed by Uganda and Costa Rica…

1 Like

He said he will have a 5 year ban when he leaves.
He said as he got a custodial sentence (of less than 1 year), but paid the fine, he will be departing.
He had spoken to a US lawyer based in Taiwan and he said there is nothing he can do.

All I know is it was in Taichung. If you find out anything please pm first before you consider posting, as I know he would not want his details online here.