Can a foreigner work for Uber eats?

Discrimination.

He’s being sarcastic…

You can threaten to file a lawsuit and they will change their policy!
Taiwan discrimination against foreign permanent residents is quite extreme .

Imagine if foodpanda said they wouldn’t hire green card holders in America or permanent residents in European countries … they should be hauled over…

2 Likes

The big issue is that I haven’t managed to contact any “human”… it’s hard to threaten a bot with a lawsuit… So right now I’m just waiting to hear if anybody knows about some way they managed to get in…

Exactly!

Foodpanda refused you first, I don’t believe they can do that without a legitimate reason.

You foreigners just don’t understand how things work here.

This is an old joke around these parts. Don’t sweat it

2 Likes

They legitimate “reason” is that they only accept ID… Here is their answer word by word:

“目前申請僅認可台灣身分證,居留證目前還無法,謝謝” which means “currently only accept Taiwan ID, currently Resident certificate is not accepted. Thanks”

So what am I supposed to do?

Got this message just now “You’ve reached the maximum number of replies a new user can create on their first day. Please wait 21 hours before trying again.”… so guess I won’t add anything to it for now, please don’t think I’m being impolite

That’s as good a reason as we don’t accept people whose name begins with the letter B.
Need to dig out if there is a clause in labour rights legislation that those with open work rights but no Taiwan ID can be refused on that basis?

Post it up on Facebook and ask them to explain it openly on social media. On what basis they can refuse to accept your application for work given you have open working rights ?

Do it on a popular group like nihaody … These companies hate negative publicity more than anything.

1 Like

Just sue them already.

6 Likes

and NIA?

foodpanda

add:this may be uber, not ubereats.

You can get some basic info from here.
https://findbiz.nat.gov.tw/fts/query/QueryBar/queryInit.do

5 Likes

Neither nationality nor language skills can be a legal excuse, although having Taiwan blood might. I know someone with a Taiwanese carver and Western mother (He is not a Taiwan passport holder, not sure what kind of work permit he has) who got a job at a convenience store in order to learn Chinese (from zero Chinese to start with). And this is in the South. His father is Taiwanese, which is the only advantage I can discern. His Chinese improved quickly, as did the English of his co-workers and customers.

I doubt it about the language skills. There can’t be discrimination based on language, but if certain language skills are deemed necessary to the performance of the job, I believe it would be allowed.

5 Likes

Yeah. What about English teacher. Pretty sure you can discriminate against candidates who can’t speak English

2 Likes

Are you sure that’s the right Yubo? I remember when I checked a while back there were like a dozen of them, Yubo, Wubo, quite confusing. They may have separate companies for taxis and food.

1 Like

You are right.

1 Like

I may have made a leap in logic vis a vis the necessity of language skills, but I think the point could be made even from anedotal evidence:

1. Someone with zero Chinese or Taiwanese was hired to work at a convenience store. Bear in mind that none of the customers would ask for a pack of “Mevius” (previously “Mild Seven” or, before that, “Seven Star”), with only a few asking for 「七星 」. The go-to would be “Tshit-tshenn” (臺語). Same goes for other brands of smokes (like “hong” 峰, if you’re made of money), which constitute a large percentage of sales.

2. I’ve lazily ordered way too much from UE and FP and have had the chance to check out their delivery software. It is much like Google Maps and is basically fool proof if you can read a map. Heck, you can even text or call the customer. That being said, living in an obscure apartment building, I’ve seen some delivery persons park and wait blindly while I wave at them, freezing my arse off, to get them to realize that the one dude standing there (me) is the obvious client. They even have my picture on the system. Sure enough, even after calling them by their (fake) Chinese username, they never fail to try to communicate with me in broken, kindergarten-level English (which I humor in varying degrees, correlating with my level of sobriety). Point being, having common sense and very basic communicative competence in Mandarin should suffice for the delivery person position. Anyone under 70 or over 5 years of age that claims to only be able to communicate in Taiwanese (閩南語) is lying and also unlikely to be your customer.

1 Like

I see. I thought you meant in general. For this position, I’m not sure. I would think you would need passable Mandarin personally. But they aren’t discriminating on that basis, in any event. They’re insisting he needs an ID.

2 Likes

I know for sure it’s possible because I have a foreigner friend who drives for Uber Eats and he has a APRC.

4 Likes

Get him here and explain how he did it. Maybe he used a friend’s ID to sign up which triggered a response from a real person whereby he provided his APRC and passport and had it OKed?

1 Like

I know of a Taiwan guy that was making $45,000 a month and quit his job to go work for Uber Eats.